1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15mm FF lens.....

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Have been playing around with combining two images into one panoramic. Works well with images from the 28-105.

https://flic.kr/p/NfnvEo

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Beautiful shot, David, very nicely done :)

Cheers,

Jack

3. Monobod

Thank you Jack. By the way, I have bought the Pentax FA 24-70 f/2.8 today, sorry yesterday. WEX gave me 20% off of the lens and 25% off of the Hoya Pro 1 digital UV filter. I also sold them the K-5 for a song in the end, but could not sell it privately, so this was the only option to reduce the costs. Got the lot for £740 in the end, which I am happy about. Much better than full price + the possible rise due to the pound sinking???

I am now looking for some time to go out and use it.......:)

4. Done_rundleCams

Wooo Hooo …. good stuff, David, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 24-70/2.8 lens :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. Monobod

The Ephotozine review charts look very good. very low CA and good sharpness, but I suppose it damned well should be for all that money!!! The one downside is the weight of the K-1, battery grip and lens.......needs to come with a helium balloon to help lift it. Haha.

6. Done_rundleCams

:D …. just think, David, after a year or so, of using the K-1 and 24-70. 15-30 and 100-300/4, you'll be lifting the sofa with one hand so you
    or your missus can hoover under it ;)

Cheers,

jack

7. Monobod

I do not have the 15-30, so my development will be stunted for a while. :)

I have decided against the 15-30, not that I would ever have the money anyway, but it is easy to fake it by taking two shots one slightly to the right of left of the former, then making a panorama in Lightroom from the two. Simple to do and much much cheaper! :)

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

As long as there's nothing moving in the frame. I've got an interesting stitched pano somewhere featuring a two headed sheep! :)

9. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Browsing YouTube, I've come across a few videos of people trying out older lenses on the K1. Some of the best results are coming from unlikely optics - the 80-320 zoom that was never particularly well regarded in the film era, for one. But if the 15-30 is financially beyond us, I wonder has anyone dug out their 18-35 FAJ? Perhaps people think this is an early APS-C zoom for DSLRs, when in fact it came along with the later film bodies. Slow, at f4-5.6, but I'd be interested to see results from pairing it with the K1.

10. Done_rundleCams

There's nothing worse than arrested development, David :eek:, but, I understand completely :) It's too bad that the Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6 (PK mount) isn't available in the UK :( nor, I'm guessing the new Sigma ART 12-24/4 lens :(

Jack

11. Done_rundleCams

:D ……… sounds like me trying to do panorama stitching with my Option W60, Alex ;) I got, but, one panorama stitch that actually worked :eek:

Jack

12. Done_rundleCams

I agree, Martin, wide angle wise, and, as I mentioned previously, I think, the FA 20-35/4 was a cracking lens :) but, wow, tough to find :( As well, we have a used 80-320 lens,
    along with a FA 100-300 (PowerZoom) lens and tried them both on a pre-production K-1 and was quite happy with the results :) Heck, I even tried our used SMC- 35-70/2.8 lens -- with the AF module still attached -- and it was really sharp :)

Jack

13. Monobod

I can vouch for the 28-105 f/4-5.6 Power Zoom from the film era. I have been using this since getting the K-1 and most of my Cumbria images are with this lens (see Flickr). It needs a slight touch of sharpening, but that is not a problem with NIK used as a selective paint brush. Don't want sharp clouds! haha. Also the 70-210 f/4 one touch manual focus (with the slide/twist action used with 'catch in focus') is brilliant. Pentax really has lived up to its promise that the K-1 would perform with film lenses. It is really a fantastic camera. Worth the struggle to find the money, even if it means giving up other things for a while. ;) I particularly love the third wheel. In manual one can now select aperture and shutter speed with the front/back and ISO with the top plate wheel. Amazing control.

14. Done_rundleCams

As well, I used several of our used "70-200/4 or 80-200/4.5" manual focus lenses, David, and they performed very well :) Haven't found a FA 28-105, which I had for a while,
    to try :(

Cheers,
    Jack

15. Monobod

I think, with the advent of the K-3 and the K-1, both making good use of legacy lenses, the supply of second hand will dry up for the better lenses. People will simply hang on to them. I cannot see me selling any of mine now.

16. Done_rundleCams

Yep, that's a good idea, David :) I know a Pentax user in Vancouver, opted for the K3ii and sold off all of his FF lenses and made a bundle :) Mind you,
    he had some cracking lenses -- FA 85/1.4, A 135/1.8 and a few others -- and he purchased them in Canuck dollars and sold them in Obamabucks ;)

I never ever got that lucky ;)

Jack

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. Monobod

I have always lost a bomb when selling S/H cameras. Sad to say, I kept upgrading, K10, K7, K5, K3 and then the K1. Still got the last two, but the others went for not a lot......:(

I will stop now, regardless of what comes next. It was the FF I was always wanting. Nearly went Nikon, but buying new lenses stopped that one dead. Glad I waited, I really think the K-1 is better. :)

18. Done_rundleCams

Yep, I think you made a good move in sticking with Pentax and the K-1, David :)

Cheers,

jack