1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15mm FF lens.....

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

I have been looking for a wide angle lens for my K-1, but the Pentax 15-30 is financially out of the question at £1499.00. I still have my K-3 and the Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, so I have been using that combo for some landscapes.

The K-3 has enough resolution to deliver a detailed image, so I think I have a workaround for now. This is the Parade at Gorleston on Sea, Norfolk. The Tiff has more detail of course.
    THE FORTY NINE STEPS 2.jpg

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Samyang 14mm is I believe FF compatible. Beware of decentering though.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the Tamron 15-30 at nearly half the price but of course they don't do it in K-mount...;)

Beyond the Samyang there doesn't seem to be much alternative - even Sigma don't do their 12-24 in K...:(

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

That may change. IIRC, the latest K-mount has an electronic diaphragm controller rather than a mechanical one - which will make it easier (and cheaper) for third parties to do K versions of their lenses.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

It's really weird, the Sigma UK site suggests the 12-24 does come in Sigma fit while the US site doesn't - based on googling without success I'd say the US site is right...

As for Tamron - I suspect there's something in the agreement about not undercutting the Pentax badged version...;)

6. Monobod

Yes, possibly but I am told that the Pentax has better lenses and is generally understood to be better all round, even if it is based on the Tamron. Sadly, it is true that one usually gets what one pays for. I fear that the K-1's high resolution could be trouble for a medium quality lens. The upside is that one usually only buys a lens once, so it is for life, not just for Christmas. Bow wow. :)

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

According to our latest Sigma price pages, the Sigma 12-24 is still available in the K mount, Nigel :)

http://www.sigmacanada.ca/lenses/wi...ma-12-24mm-f4-5-5-6-ii-dg-hsm-lens--af1224hs/

jack

8. Monobod

Interestingly (I hope), we have just been to the Lake District and had enough reasonable weather to get some landscape photography done. I found that the K-3 with the 16-85 (24mm equivalent) was perfectly adequate and the 28mm end of the 28-105 FF on the K-1 was also enough for most shots. Considering that there is some distortion with the 15mm I have decided that the Pentax 24-70 would be the better choice. It also has the advantage of being about £400 cheaper. Not small change! Perhaps combining two birthdays and Christmas may swing the balance in my favour - wish me luck with that! o_O

9. Done_rundleCams

My fingers are crossed for you, David :D As well, if you find that 24 isn't wide enough, you might be able to find a used FA 20-35/4 from back in the film days. :)
    Perhaps, this fellow --kingfisher -- aka Martin, who is an architect, still has the 20-35/4 and might want to sell it :) -- see below:

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/fs--fa-20-35-4-47024

Cheers,

Jack

10. Monobod

It's gone.....

11. Done_rundleCams

Do you mean that Martin (Kingfisher) has already sold it, David?

Jack

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is the Laowa 15mm available in K-mount?

13. Monobod

Not heard of it, is it a clone of the Korean maker?

14. Monobod

Yep.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Chinese, and unique. It's very unusual in being an ultra-wide macro lens, down to 1:1. Checked the website and they do have a K-mount version.

Laowa have a very interesting lens lineup and the sample images are promising.

16. Monobod

Probably not chipped though? So perhaps no exif data on lens settings etc? If it doesn't talk to the body, manual input would be required for focal length. Not a big issue though, I have to do this with my film lenses.

17. Done_rundleCams

Aw, well that sucks, David :(

Cheers,

Jack

18. Done_rundleCams

Interesting find, Zou :)

Cheers,

Jack

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Also check out the Irix 15mm - there are two versions and I think both are available in K-mount.

20. Monobod

The DPrevue on the Laowa 15mm shows serious barrel distortion on FF. Also the short throw of the focus ring makes that an issue. Image quality is OK, but it is too fiddly for me, being totally manual.