1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LesleySM, Sep 13, 2017.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

We are allowed to shop round for gas/electric and our ISP etc.
    Great I've saved over £2K a year by swapping
    Yet I am still stuck with Thames Water and cannot change
    They sent me a bill at the end of August saying I'd missed a payment and also still owed a bit I think it was about £48 but I paid it.
    Today I get a really nasty letter saying they reckon I owe them for the whole of the year and and if they don;t get the money within 7 days they will take me to court and do their best to trash my credit rating
    I just emailed them about it and the reply was they'll be in touch within 5 days about it- so if they prove I do owe them the money now then it could take 5 days to clear thus putting me over er the 7 days.
    They've always been so heavy handed. Dave once got a recorded delivery saying they were taking him to court because he was 3 days late with an instalment, which he; forgot to pay and immediately did then they still chased him up even though he let them know he'd paid it
    I don;t mind being reminded I forgot to pay a bill if I have forgotten then thanks for the reminder and I pay it
    I just really object to the reminder rather than being "You may have overlooked this" being "PAY NOW OR WE'LL TAKE YOU TO COURT

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Well, in Reading, (where their HQ is) we also have to suffer really hard water - Need to descale the kettle every 2 weeks, even though the water goes through a water filter. Presumably, they can't afford to cough up for a pipe so that water from the other side of the Thames, (which is significantly softer) to improve Reading's water. I'm also guessing that down in the basement of their HQ is a heavy duty water-softener for their own offices ...

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

We have a spring in our garden and the water never stops flowing. Must look into doing something useful with it.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

My response would be to write a statement of the true facts. Add a copy of the letter and send to Ofwat and your MP with a copy also to Thames Water's boss (making it clear to each where the other copies had gone). I did this to my local water company years ago after a similar incident and was quite impressed by the amount of grovelling from the "Director of Communications". I think I was placed on the "handle with kid gloves" list because I never had another problem with them.

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

If you're sure you've paid your bill for the year, then let them do their worst, and make fools of themselves.

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

This is always the first response to go with.

Talk softly and carry a big stick.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I like both of these ideas, but would suggest do Andrew's first.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is this to be a new saga, and have you got a publisher for the first? :)

LesleySM likes this.
  9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Nope this is just Thames Water being their usual incompetent selves- they could not organise the proverbial drink up in the proverbial brewery

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Or even a drink of tap water in a treatment works!

11. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

Trouble with this approach is that they will damage Lesley's credit rating in the process and, if what I read in the press is correct, it's a lot harder to get a credit rating restored (and quickly) than it is to 'trash' it.

12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It certainly is.
    Building a credit score is not easy from scratch. It is possible however, to contact the two main credit scorers (Equifax and Experian) and let them know what has happened, and ask for the 'bad' report to be struck from one's record.

13. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`m shocked by Lesley`s problem with Thames water.What a shower of S**t!!

I`ve no complaints with Welsh Water here and I believe they are the only water company "not for profit"

I hope you get it sorted Lesley.What a way to treat people.

14. miked

miked Well-Known Member

A clipping from a recent Guardian article about 'Rip-off Britain' by Aditya Chakrobortty:
    If, like me, you live in London and use water, you are forced to give your business to Thames Water. The same Thames Water that is owned by a consortium of international investors, whose interests were until recently managed by Macquarie, an investment firm with headquarters in Australia. I have reported before on this arrangement, which ran from December 2006 until March of this year. Between 2006 and 2015, Thames Water divvied up £1.6bn in dividends to its small circle of shareholders, who in turn loaded up the company with billions in debt.

15. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Ahh - the 'benefits' of Privatisation of our public utilities... clear for all to see. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We've been stuck in this "voodoo economics" culdesac for coming up on 40 years. At what point are the British going to get their heads around the reality that it only works for the affluent few and screws the rest? On the current showing - next June 31st. :confused:

Trannifan likes this.
  17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I was hoping it would be earlier than that,... February 30th

18. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Neatly summarised, in just a few words! Have you considered offering this to the Conservative Party, as a slogan for their next election campaign...? ;):)

Trannifan likes this.