1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 years of Leica...

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by SXH, Mar 22, 2015.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

There's a moderately interesting article in today's IoS magazine on this subject.

It's also on-line, should anyone be interested...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-100-years-of-the-famous-camera-10120441.html

The fact that it's basically a long ad for/review of an expensive (well, it wold be - it's Leica related) book on the subject...

I think this is the right sub-forum for this - if I'm wrong, no doubt a passing mod could move it?

2. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Interested - Yes - but book at £76 they jest. :D Is it any better than the myriad of other expensive books on the subject?

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

In any case, if the article is anything to go by, the hyperbole is sufficiently heavy to create a black hole around it.

I like a Leica, myself but, let's face it, until the 'fifties, Leitz's design was effectively outclassed by the Contax II and III. The M3 was the camera that brought the company back with a bang, helped by the Soviet annexation of the Zeiss design in the immediate post war years. Even then, there was only a brief window during which the M-series led the pack. After Canon and Nikon got in on the act with models like the "7" and the "SP", Leica was reduced to a niche product. They also badly misjudged the trend to the SLR and when they tried to catch up, they brought out the over engineered and already out of date Leicaflex.

Still, the book seems to understand where the brand's going, so I daresay the publishers will make a bob or two from it.

[​IMG]