1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

• Nikon raises prices again • Breaking News

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Well for one, I have never had it so good!

My biggest expenditure - the mortgage has gone down over £500 a month thanks to a tracker that has responded to every cut immediately (thank you Woolwich/Barclays)

Heating oil has fallen dramatically
    Ditto diesel

At work (we rent holiday cottages in Wales) trade is up 30% so they have asked me to work another day thus putting my earnings from that source up by 50% (That's one good thing to come out of all this, the UK tourism market is booming)

Oh yes, I bought my D300 & 70-200mm f2.8 in 2008 so am unaffected by these price rises! (sorry Skyline_kid!)

So BJB what looks a disaster to some always has a silver lining to others!

So what am I doing with the surplus money? Simple spending it abroad! Trips to New Zealand Cyprus & New England planned this year (lots of photo opportunities I hope)

Yes, yes, I know, I know, next year as the mortgage rate rises, I'll descend into abject poverty again (my tracker also ends in two years!)

What goes down, always goes up again, that's life's lesson to me, so you can't blame me for making hay once in a while!

Paul

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Re: • Nikon raises prices again • Breaking News

Actually, my question to beejaybee was prompted by his apparent belief that only his own personal expenditure counted, and that if the government didn't use that and that alone to determine the rate of inflation for the coutry as a whole they were 'lying'. Whatever planet beejaybee is on, there are either no other people there, spending money on other things that have gone down, or stayed the same, or not risen as much in their areas, or simply returned to their levels of a year ago, or they just don't matter in his estimation.

3. TheAllSeeingEye

TheAllSeeingEye Well-Known Member

The truth of the matter is the people who will feel the effects of inflation first are the poorest. Many of us would more than likely not notice small price rises as our disposable income is great enough to absorb them without any noticeable effect on our way of life. At the poor end of the scale, where disposable income is at a minimum, these small price increases (which are often greater than wage rises) have a huge impact on lifestyle for these people.

In my opinion it is all to easy to put ones head in a sand box when the greater issues are not impacting our own lives significantly. I wouldn't claim to be in any kind of poverty, far from it, but if I look at the percentage of my income that is spoken for now, compared to this time last year (with no major purchases or investments made) I can't help but agree with BeeJayBee that the government is deluded with their quoted rate of inflation.

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

That's true, but for people on benefits the higher rate of inflation at the time when increases were determined will ease their situation a touch - so long as they squirrel away what they're able to now.

5. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

If you think anyone living on benefits is able to "squirrel away" even a peanut, you ain't in the real universe. Actually I suspect very few of us are, but then...

6. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

But the problem is you're doing what beejaybee was doing - looking only at your own personal circumstances. The government has to take a view which reflects the nation as a whole. Your personal rate of inflation is affected by all sorts of things, and can be radically different from the next man's. And inflation varies not just from one person to another, but from one place to another. Looking only at your own economic circumstances can only ever produce an inflation estimate that is right for people in exactly the same circumstances - same housing situation, same locality, same income, same spending habits, same diet, same etc. etc.

For example, beejaybee says food is up 30% on 12 months ago for him. For me it's down considerably, although it rose frighteningly in the interim period. And even that's just 'on the average' - different foodstuffs have gone up and/or down to different degrees. He also says fuel is up 20% (I'm assuming he means petrol and/or diesel). Where I am it's back down to below its level of a year ago. Mortgages are typically down, for the many who have them. And so on. These things count for the nation as whole - it's no good some individuals blustering that they're not relevant to them - economic reality for a country includes everyone, and therefore the government has to take an overall view. Whether the 'basket' of prices they consider is necessarily the right one is debatable, but it's difficult to impossible to see how even the most cack-handed attempt to take a broad view of the situation could be so dramatically wrong as beejaybee and now you are suggesting.

7. Simon_King

Simon_King Well-Known Member

Possibly at focus for £1999.99 on the Jacobs stand maybe?

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Maybe... ;)

9. Simon_King

Simon_King Well-Known Member

They were selling like hot cakes yesterday, when I walked past the stall in the morning they had loads, by the time I left they had about two left. I'm sure they'll restock each night. But there was a ton of spending going on!

Cheers
    Simon

10. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I'm not buying one !

11. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Me too! Are they doing a BOGOF? If so bagsy the free one ;) :D

See you tomorrow ;)