1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

• Nikon raises prices again • Breaking News

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Re: • Nikon raises prices again • Breaking News

To spend or not to spend is very problematical....

There is nothing I need at the moment. so I am unlikely to spend, even though I have the cash. :)

But with the value of money and savings going down and prices going up; On balance NOW is probably a good time to spend, or we will have to buy at a later date, goods that are more expensive with devalued money..... :mad:

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I don't see that buying a Mk II would do anything for the economy - we would have to import it first, and we already import too much.

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Yeah, but Canon (or whoever) will already have had their money when the goods are ordered by the store. By buying one you're helping the store, who are British, so helping the economy here.

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Plus the contribution to the economy by the purchase needing transportation within the UK and the VAT payable on the camera.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And anyway, if I bought it - oh, I don't know, let's say for the sake of argument next Tuesday, it would've already been imported, so can't make it any worse - it could only be positive. :D

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

No, you need savers in order for the banks to have anything to lend ... which is precisely the current problem, the banks have nothing to lend, the interest rate borrowers have to pay is irrelevant because loans are inaccessible at any price.

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Nope, that's not the reason at all, it the fact that any trust between the financial institutions has been blown out of the water, hence the reluctance for banks to lend between each other and hence the lack of funds to loan Joe Public.

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Cripes! this is the second time in recent memory that I'm in agreement with Gordon. It's not that long ago our government was actively encouraging people to save. Now they've dealt savers and savings a body blow by reducing interest rates to virtually zero. To make matters worse, those building societies who stuck to the principles of mutuality and sensible dealing are now being compelled to cough up large amounts of cash to bale out those former mutuals who went down the road to privatisation in addition to those banks who acted so stupidly, recklessly and irresponsibly. Savers are effectively being penalised to counter the crooks who have walked away with their ill-gotten gains. Bad government? Yup. Foolish voters, Yup. Will the next government behave any better? Nope!

9. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

From MoneySavingExpert.com :

10. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I was drooling at cameras today and Canon kit seemed to have jumped between £100 (40D+50D) to £250(5DII)...Incedently the 5DII's had a sign on them that said...not many of these about so please dont fire the shutter too much...

Graeme

11. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

But it ISN'T. Hence the existence of this thread.

The Govt is lying about the inflation rate; it always has done, but this year they've really excelled themselves. The true inflation rate is around 30% per annum and rising ever more rapidly.

12. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Thats why my money is mostly in the NSI and premium bonds, they are (alledgedly) safe, and we just transfer a sum across to the bank (Barclays)every few weeks.

Not going to risk them going down with my dosh :D

13. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Did you get as far as:

?

Where do you get your figure of 30% from?

14. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Dont go making a habit of it then.............. :D

15. TimF

The fall in the value of the Pound means that inflation on imported goods might just be approaching that figure now, but at present I'm damned if I know where BJB is getting the idea that it's applicable across the board <u>now</u>. Some enlightenment would be welcome.

16. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I think there must be ever increasing import duties levied in Cloud Cuckoo Land. :rolleyes:

17. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Unlike some people I do keep track of my expenditure. Just about everything is up on last year - electricity (40%), fuel (20%), rates (10%), food (30%), .... train fares might only have gone up 5% but my expenditure on those is zero (apart from the huge subsidies paid for out of my taxes). 30% seems to be about the current rate on a year to year basis - a couple of months ago it was 20%.

I have no idea at all what is staying the same or going down - apart from houses which do not feature in my annual budget and are in any case still hugely overvalued. Used to be consumer electronics but we're seeing where those are heading, and we know precisely why.

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Pardon my asking, but what planet do you live on?

19. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

Planet BJB, Shirley? ;)

20. TimF

I don't keep track of food week on week (it'd drive me nuts frankly), but, yes, last year heating oil rose enormously in price - getting on for 40-50% for the same amount of kerosene in a delivery. In the last few months however, that has returned effectively to its previous level, reflecting the steep falls in the cost of crude. Likewise our electricity bill for one of the two supply companies (don't ask - long story), which was around £870 in 2007 rose to approximately £930 in 2008. Hardly a 40% hike over the period, and remember there's a business here too.