1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it”

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chris Cool, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

… Ansel Adams said that, not me btw:… but ever since my b/w film days (where I’ve tweaked almost every shot I’ve taken) I’m used to tweaking my digital photos. To me that’s part of the fun… however, from the posts I’ve read (all round the world) people seem so unhappy that their particular dc doesn’t take perfect pictures…

Have these people forgotten how much work was done in the lab when they sent their films in to be developed, or is that people just didn’t realise and assumed it was them taking perfect pics everytime…

Ah well… can’t hang around here too long… got some pictures to make :)

Chris [​IMG]... a right old tweaker...

2. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

An interesting observation Chris.

BTW, do you still recommend the Canon Powershot A40 - I've seen some places selling them below £200.

David

3. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you Chris, and that for Joe public, is the problem. he assumes that a DC will 'make' perfect pics for him - little realising that a long apprenticeship with photoshop is necessary for the results he is after. That is why I think the manufacturers figures are skewed. Their sales may well be up but how many are still shooting 6 or 12 months down the line? not half as many as bought the things in the first place I reckon. They will be relegated to the 'christmas each end of the media card' type of photography and even less will be printed as the technology will continue to baffle the majority.

<font color=blue>Always remember that if sex is a pain in the ass - you're doing it wrong! </font color=blue>

4. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

A40... value or what!

Yes David, I still recommend the Canon Powershot A40 due mainly to the fact that it is the only 2mp dc with true manual control and, it takes exceedingly good pics :)

Chris [​IMG]

5. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Aren't you forgetting Pete that Joe Public can just take the card into Asda and get the prints of the shots he wants there and then, tweaked if necessary. Can't get easier than that. If he wants then he could move on to Photoshop but why would he when he previously just sent off a film to the cheapest mail order lab, & had auto develop and print and a free film thrown in.

p.s. read George Melly in the Sunday Times this morning about his Navy days - he might take exception to your sign off .... yukkk

Pete <font color=red>CRIPN</font color=blue>

6. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Re: A40... value or what!

Have you posted any examples anywhere Chris?

Ta!

David

7. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

8. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Yes Chris - I rarely allow myself not to tweak a photo - particularly mono. Ansel Adams also said that the negative was the musical score, and the print was the concert performance. That's what it's all about, however the image was captured. Even in reportage photography, a judicious crop is worth a thousand smiles. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif x 1000.

Clive

[​IMG]

9. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Didn't he also say something about if you want to take great photographs just get up before dawn, drive into the desert, and get up on top of your pickup. God I wish it were that easy! He's right though - we should stop getting so hung up about what happens when in the process of making an image.

Pete <font color=red>CRIPN</font color=blue>

10. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

I prefer Edward Weston's - "If it's more than 100 yards from the car, it ain't photogenic"

[​IMG]

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

"I prefer Edward Weston's - "If it's more than 100 yards from the car, it ain't photogenic"

Cllve,

I prefer the words of renowned Canadian photojournalist "Glen Olsen" who said
    "If you have to leave your car, it's too far."
    Mr. Olsen received a (Canadian) National News award for a photograph that he
    shot whilst sitting in his car stopped at a red light.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

12. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

Like it!

[​IMG]

13. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Ah but, ah but, ah but Pete, that would mean Jowe Public wiuld have to think about his pics and what he wants of them. He doesn't want to do that. He wants someone else to do it as they always have done when he took his annual roll of film into Boots. He wants magic and he ain't gonna get it.
    Re the signoff a, I changed it yesterday - enough wind up is enough. b, George Melly is a decent Jazz singer with shall we say a 'flamboyant' lifestyle that is part of his showmanship and part him. As an individual he is quite fascinating to listen to.

<font color=blue>Stop panicking! If your eye is good enough, your kit is good enough! </font color=blue>

14. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I prefer the renowned words of legendary photojournalist Jack "Do my arms look hairy in this photovest" Done&Rundlecams who said "You must be a Gnu if you ain't got a G2" /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

BigWill

<font color=blue>Someday Jeri Ryan will weaken!<font color=black>

15. Done_rundleCams

HAHAHAH /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

16. Done_rundleCams

Clive,

I like it too and thought I would try it as well until I remember
    that I don't have a vehicle, but I have got some dandy shots from
    the local transit buses/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.... Didn't win any National News Awards,
    though/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack