1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£900+ for a Canon 400D ....!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Jan 10, 2008.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

In Tuesdays Daily Express there was a competition to win eight Canon EOS 400D cameras.
    Nothing special in that, except it said that each was worth £959...!!!
    It didn't say if they were black, silver or gold plated.

P.S. It was the 400D and not the 40D

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Presumably that includes a lens (which one?). And the £959 is almost certainly RRP which no-one in their right mind actually pays.

As to what it is worth ... that depends on how much you want one ... there are people who actually prefer the relatively small, light body of the 400D to the heavier, chunkier 40D with which they do not feel comfortable.

BTW I think the Daily Express is grossly overpriced - it's one of the many daily newspapers which IMHO is actually worth more when shredded and used as cat litter than it is as a newspaper.

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The picture in the paper was the 400D with standard zoom lens.
    As you say, the price quoted may have been the RRP when the camera was first introduced. Never the less it is still very misleading. Those who enter will think they are trying to win a near thousand pound camera, when in reality it can be bought for less than half that price.
    If the competition was free to enter, no problem, but as it involved a two and a half minute phone call at 75p a minute, I think the paper should be a bit more honest.

4. staccato123

staccato123 Well-Known Member

It's the Express, so that seems a vain hope ;)

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

As with recent TV & Radio phone-in competitions, can you not report this to OFCOM or the PCC as misleading?

6. m1ks

m1ks Well-Known Member

It's 30p daily, at least here in Scotland it is, try the telegraph at 80p daily

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I tried to draw attention to this sort of fakery last month in this thread . In my example it was a well known photo shop being economical with the truth.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

...and not the salt and vinegar :D

9. JDCB

JDCB Well-Known Member

Perfect: the Daily Express reader is thought by Canon's marketing department to be interested in a Canon DSLR. The demographics are just so good a match.

I note that serious papers don't attract the same sort of close match. ;)

James