1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£89 million.. HOW MUCH..!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Nov 13, 2013.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

A painting by Francis Bacon of his friend and fellow artist Lucian Freud has become the most expensive artwork ever sold at auction after it fetched $142m (£89m, 106m euros) in New York.

Wouldn't put it on the wall in the shed.

Painting

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I'd put it on the outside of the shed... to ward off burglars!

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Just give it to me. It could have pride of place on my hallway. :)It's art... and I admire it.

4. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

If I liked them I'd have copies made then sell the originals.

5. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

And then watch your house and contents insurance hit the roof. :(

That's why most people who inherit or come into possession of expensive works of art give them to museums on loan - they simply cannot afford to keep them at home in the hallway.

Regards, Mike

6. Catriona

I wouldn't mind! Don't think it would attract any burglar up here (if we had any)...
    K8

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It is an excellent work

However do not equate the most expensive with the "Best"
    The best may never come to auction.

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Surely it was buy one get two free deal. :p

So £29.666 million per painting. LOL

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Judging by this one, what is 'best'..?

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm not a huge fan of Frankie Bacon, but I actually do like this triptych.

As to value, well it's worth it if people will pay it. As Paul says, it's a bit of a bargain. ;)

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I think I have seen it at a major show but can't remember when or where. Bacon's stuff IS different and has certain qualities but probably best not seen on empty or overfull stomachs or right after any greasy meal ...:eek::rolleyes:

... and set it against a couple of Premiership footballers, an F1 team's outlay at a GP or two, the annual earnings of the Boards & senior management of the Big Six energy Companies and it puts it into perspective.;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Ultimately, who cares? Imagine he was NOT famous, and that this painting had NOT just sold for $142,000,000. Either you'd like his work or not.

This is, incidentally, about twice as much as the Indian Mars probe cost: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24851242

Cheers,

R.

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Well, I think it's the one of Bacon by Bill Brandt but there you go, I'm a bit odd! :D

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Do we really care?

15. tinribs

tinribs Well-Known Member

Many years ago I remember visiting some acquaintances is Belsize Park in London. There was an original Camille Pissaro hanging in the downstairs toilet! (That's a fact, not a poor pun). N.B. I can't even afford the space for a downstairs toilet. Peter

16. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I suspect this has more to do with the machinations of the Art Martket than with Art . . . . everyone who owns a Bacon will have seen its value increase significantly in the last few days!

Alan.

17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Enough to comment..... :D

18. Catriona

Well, if I had a quarter of his talent I'd be over the moon. I've loved, been horrified by, admired and just stood in awe of Bacon's angry, sweeping, energetic wonderful paintings.
    He's a genius.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

touché.

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

I agree. Still wouldn't want a Bacon on the wall at home.

Cheers,

R.