1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£889 for an EOS10D

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigWill, Aug 29, 2004.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

2. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Making way for the 20D no doubt.

<font color=purple>Johnmac</font color=purple>
    Shoot pictures, blow-up negs

3. BigWill

Sounds that way doesn't it John. Still a hell of a good camera though and really well built unlike it's cheaper plasticky sibling the 300D. Could turn out to be quite a bargain?

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

4. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Not ready to move away from the 30D yet, it still performs to my needs. I compared the Tower Bridge sample pic from the 20D against one of my 30D pics and I reckon I have matched it in all respects except file size, which I can expand acceptably.

I think my long term wish list will have to be an MF digital capability of some kind.

5. BigWill

Just goes to prove that megapixels aren't everything John and as Pete (dogbyte) is often at pains to point out, just because a digital camera is superseded by another doesn't mean it bursts into flames and can no longer take good photos.

MF digital.......................now there's a thought. Will we ever see it at prices you don't have to take out a second mortgage for though?

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

6. James Breeden

James Breeden Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:<hr>

MF digital.......................now there's a thought. Will we ever see it at prices you don't have to take out a second mortgage for though?

<hr></blockquote>

Of course we will, I don't think we'll see a seperate grade of cameras specifically to replace medium-format though (other than digital backs), just better and better quality digital cameras which become acceptable replacements for more and more jobs previously the domain of medium and large format only.

7. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Had a chat about this in Jacobs yesterday. Phase One (who are definitely tops in that market) can keep their prices stratospheric simply because they have no "real" competition. Its to be hoped that Hasselblad's recent acquisition of Imacon will shake things up and bring the cost down, so an MF back isn't within reach of just those who have a handy oil-rich sheikdom or dodgy W. African semi-island state under their thumb! /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Tim BSRIPN
    <font color=blue>"A carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond"</font color=blue>

8. Salazar

Salazar In the Stop Bath

He he, They can't even sell gas fires at the correct price. /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Salazar the Sinister
    Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

9. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

It will be an interesting year or two with that one Tim. I wondered if the purchase of Imacon was simply to make DMF (digital medium format)more accessible to their H1 buyers but the potential knock on to V system users could be very interesting indeed. Not yet perhaps but certainly for the medium term future.

Anglesey's answer to Shrek - just not so green.

10. SamsSauce

SamsSauce In the Stop Bath

I stand being corrected but MF digital backs have been available for most 'Blads for some time now. As for the need to remorgage your house, well, contact Alpa's UK distributor and he'll be more than happy to sell you the kit so that you need to! - Is it any good? well, Mr Hicks - who has one - would probably answer a very emphatic yes!

11. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

They have always been around, but until prices can be brought down to the £=Meg of 35mm I won't be investing. Now I really think that if one of the big boys was brave enough to put out a 6 or 10 Meg MF back they could do very well, but then I haven't conducted an in depth demographic market survey!

QUICK VOTE
    How many MF owners would pay up to £1500 for a digital capability?

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Phase One ... can keep their prices stratospheric simply because they have no "real" competition

Pig swill! Complete pig swill. They have loads of perfectly respectable competition - Leaf, Eyelike, Sinar, Imacon, and so on. Prices are 'stratospheric' because of the yield issue. A large sensor costs so vastly more than a small one for pretty much the same sort of reason that a 10 carat diamond costs a whole lot more than 10 times the cost of a 1 carat diamond - scarecity. The bigger sensor you want to cut from your wafer, the more you have to throw away before you find one that is free enough from flaws to be able to fit it in. And that's not likely to change any time soon, so get used to it.

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

13. TimF

My point Huw, was that Phase One seem to have a premium price on their backs (The cost of the chip is irrelevant in this; I think we're all aware of how pricey those are). An admittedly random selection of prices - all excluding VAT - are:

Sinar 54M (22 megapixel back) - with SAM bundle, £13,000, without £10,000
    Phase One P25 (22 megapixe) - £20,000
    Leaf Valeo 22 (22 megapixel) - £15,338

Phase One P20 (16 megapixel) - £13,000
    Kodak DCS Pro Back (16 megapixel) - £10,000 - now no longer available of course
    Leaf Valeo 11 (11 megapixel) - £8,600

I haven't been able to find any Imacon pricing sadly

The large format Better Light model 4000, which produces a 53.6MB file is around at £7,100

Tim BSRIPN
    <font color=blue>"A carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond"</font color=blue>

14. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well okay - I just wouldn't have used the term 'stratospheric' to describe a few percentage points of difference between Phase One and their competitors' equivalent products. Add to the 22MP list the Eyelike M22 at c. £17000, and it seems clear that Phase One might be top price, but they're all in that same ballpark, and all seriously expensive pieces of kit. At any rate whatever the guy was on about - Phase One having no real competition - was pure BS. He wasn't trying to sell you one, was he? :)

The Better Light is a scanning back (like a glorified flat bed scanner, but it scans a virtual image in the focal plane), which is a different sort of beast altogether, so its price really cannot be compared with the others.

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

15. TimF

OK, stratospheric may have been hyperbole, but Phase one do have a record in high pricing - just look at the cost of Capture One compared to other RAW converters!

According to the Robert White site the M22 is a 16 megapixel back (unless I read it wrong) which makes it seriously overpriced IMHO.

As you say, the Better Light is a glorified flatbed, which is why I separated it from the others. If its the same gizmo that was featured on the Luminous Landscape Video Journal recently, the results are quite extraordinaary though.

Tim BSRIPN

16. ab..

ab.. Well-Known Member

£889

Body only..so still some outlay if you don't already have a Canon SLR/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

AB..

17. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Here's the link to RW's Eyelike listing, where I lifted the price from. And here's the Jenoptik link for it too - definitely 22MP.

Re. the Better Light, yes they are supposed to be the best you can get in terms of high MP images. Although the price you pay for that is the scan time - I've heard tales of scans lasting up to half an hour, although that might not be the latest equipment. I think they still need several seconds to complete a full resolution scan though.

Huw Evans.

www.huwevans.freeuk.com

18. TimF

Yep indeed. The Better Light does its work in 41 seconds according to Calumet here. Not much beef for a large format worker there I guess!

Tim BSRIPN

19. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Quick Vote

I would for one John and I suspect that others on here would as well.
    However I would want at least the same metal pixies as the top (35mm)DSLRs.

Anglesey's answer to Shrek - just not so green.