1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£84 for developing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by downfader, Feb 5, 2007.

1. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I realised this morning that I have a MASSIVE backlog of film to get developed. :eek: I really should have gotten on top of it before but everything else gets in the way, lol.

In the big bag (full of 35mm and 5x4) I also have my first 6 rolls of 120 that I had ever used. Looking forward to see if theres any images worthy of use in there as they were taken on the modified Holga. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :D I had "adjusted" the aperture to an f32, seeing as no-one on the web had tried it before.

I also have about 3 pinhole photos on 5x4 provia sheet to see if the thing worked.

Expensive hobby but well worth it! :D

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

Ouch! My local place charges £5 + VAT just for dev. only - and no contact sheet.

Need to find somewhere better and a bit cheaper!

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

That's a bit steep. :(

Out here I am paying Cy£4 (less than a fiver in real money) for dev, 36 6 by 4 prints and an index sheet. :rolleyes:

4. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Is that B&W? For standard C41 colour or chromagenic B&W I pay £2.98 for dev, index print and CD from Max Speilman in the High Street.

CD is fairly low res but OK for 7x5 prints or web use and saves vast time scanning as I only do the ones I need at high quality.

It's this service that keeps me happy with film I think plus the fact I like using a traditional rangefinder and my little Ricoh GR1

5. downfader

It took me about 2 years before I realised Peak Imaging had the rep they did, and then started using them back in 2005 iirc. For the E6 I've never had a problem with them... had jessies do it before, but somewhere along the line they scratched the hell out of my slides. :mad:

Plus the fact that jessies wanted nearly 9 quid for a roll of E6, I found Peak to be about half that price.

LOL once I've sorted the developing out I need to get a whole load of other stuff sorted... more money being spent - and I still havent found a decent job, lol!

6. downfader

Oops!!

I just spent the entire evening organising and packing the film into a box only to realise that I havent got the cheque yet, lol! The box is sealed, oops. Will have to take scissors or an envelope, and tape along with me tomorrow. :D

7. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

ASDA, they do a good job too, about £4.68 for 36exps 7x5", and if there were only 35exps for example they would charge you less! :D Often I will take a part used film to them.

8. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

But they don't do b&w, do they?

9. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

They wouldn't do 120 either.

10. Lounge Lizard

Am I glad I shoot digital these days. Mind you, I've still got a fridge full of 35mm and 120 film that I should bite the bullet and get rid of.

11. downfader

David! Have you done the switch!? :eek: I couldnt imagine being just a digi snapper or a film snapper, I love both too much. :rolleyes:

I walked down to the local bank, 1.5 miles away only to realise they were shut for refurbishment. :( So then I realised, seeing as how I feel the film should be posted right away, I'd bite the bullet and just get a rather expensive postal order. :eek: £98, not that bad really, could have been a LOT worse.

THEN.. I realised I had forgotten my tape.... etc.. but I sorted it and its FINALLY on its way. :D Looking forward to this as I might have a couple of slide shots suitable for round 2 of the APOY in there :D

BTW, David, what film have you got? Tempted to take the roll film off you if I get my camera sorted. ;)

12. SqueamishOssifrage

I pay the same for B&W as I do for C41, but I have no control over how the B&W is processed (and sometimes it's pretty poor). E6 costs me £7 unmounted.

13. downfader

Crikey!!! :eek: Send it away, Peak Imaging charge £4 odd mounted, and its freepost to send it in.

Strange things have happened to my post.. we'll try an edit. ;)

14. SqueamishOssifrage

Unfortunately there are only two E6 labs in the country (Nicosia and Limmasol), and I don't think Peak Imaging would be happy about freepost from Cyprus! :D

15. downfader

Cyprus. Blimey. (I thought your profile-location was a referance to a girl called Anna :eek: :))

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

My last lot cost £44 for 2 rolls of B&W and 2 rolls of colour all printed 6x9 with a cd....much prefer a decent size print to a computer screen for evaluating my pics.

Was told the other week that large format can cost £9 per shot all in...that would be one rather expensive hobby :eek: (but I still want one ;) )

17. Lounge Lizard

TBH, over time I find myself shooting almost 100% on digital. I must have shot 1 roll of 120 and 1 roll of 35mm in the past year. I still have 35mm and 120 film cameras that I'd like to use once in a while but it seems silly to have film sitting in the fridge going stale and I ought to buy fresh as and when I need it.

18. downfader

Depends on what you're doing with LF as to how much. If its 10x8, yeah I think the price rockets. My 5x4 have cost me 1.95 each without a print, but with a sleeve.

LF is definately worth it. I cant beleive I didnt try and get into it sooner as its very addictive (although people stopping and asking about the camera has annoyed me a little a couple of times :eek:). If anyone or any club you know has access to one you can try its recommended, and theres plenty of good makes for very little money (even less if you go for monorail types)

19. downfader

We should make Tuesdays film only day to dust off those classics, then. :D

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I may be able to hire a large format camera somewhere nearby. I want one for landscapes but still have much to learn from small formats....finding the right light, composition etc. Think I'll be after something lighter/more portable than a monorail...am sure there will be stacks of options if I go into the LF room...just don't trust myself in there as I'll really want one then probably :eek: