1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£70 for a print? Bit extreme!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by downfader, May 30, 2006.

1. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

One of my Managers (the nice one ;)) came up to me today and asked if I could copy a print of her nephew that the family had commissioned. They aint exactly a well-off family and I was shocked to hear her tell me that the Tog wanted £70 per print. Always thought 40 was more the norm... who the hell did they hire?!

I apologised to her as I dont actually have a scanner, film/neg scanner yes, but the geezer is hardly gonna lend me his negs, now is he, lol. I would have been happy to take some snaps for her, though, had I the right equipment.

Still... 70 quid. And it wasnt Venture. I suppose this is the sign of the times where the Pros worry about their work being copied unofficially.

2. T_Sargeant

T_Sargeant Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a catch22 portraits, you can't be too cheap otherwise people think you're not worth it, but if you're too expensive they'll go elsewhere or have a small print blown up big. I know my assistant manager went to get him, his lady and son taken, they were quoted £135 for a framed 7x5 on the day, or £150 after the event. There was apparently a really nice one of his son that was shot panoramic (say 16x4 or thereabouts)... over £600!

I told him, the moral of the story is... come to me next time!

But seriously, I think some of these places do themselves a disservice, sure they may make a fair bit on the first occasion, but how many get serious repeat business? If I ever set up and go fully professional, I'd want to encourage people to come back! Engagement, wedding, first kid, etc... Ah well.

3. downfader

I think you're right, because this guy has obviously talked himself out of a deal. I know of a woman who works in one of the departments upstairs fom me, when she got married she hired the tog, got given the proofs to view and was told each print would cost them a small fortune. I think she scanned a load on her PC as a result :eek: :eek:

600 quid for a panoramic seems a terrible p*** take. The way I see it if a print is bigger you charge a little more, yes, but not for different formats.

OT a little, had this idea. I have to go down to a couple of local guitar shops to track down something. I thought that while I'm in there I could ask about if any bands they know want their portraits done (as long as we avoid the "alley shot") ;) :D I've been wanting to do that for a while now but never felt confident in my tech until recently... plus if I do it digitally I'll have fewer overheads.

Have you had a go at that yet? One of the fellas I used to know in one of the shops said bands are always after A&R/promo stuff if its reasonably priced.

4. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Re: £70 for a print - extreme? Maybe not...

What size print was it for £70?

It's always strange that people are reluctant to pay for photography because they don't value it. That same person might have a smart car and pay £400 to a main dealer to have it serviced every 6 months. Would they (shock, horror) contemplate going to a back street garage because they could get the same job done cheaper? Probably not.

Though the print itself might cost £2, there might be other hidden costs in that price - the photographer's High Street studio, wages for the office clerk and the upkeep of his/her records on the computer system, the list goes on. If they were happy to have the work done in the first place and to a standard where they are happy enough to want further prints then they really have to accept the going rate (they should have asked/agreed all this up front anyway).

It creates a bit of a dilemma for the keen amateur - what if you had a flatbed scanner? what if you could do it? what if it was your boss asking for a favour? what if your actions were just another nail in the coffin of putting a local tog out of business? what if that tog was you, how would you feel about it then...?

Interesting scenario.

5. downfader

I beleive it was 10x8 as she said it would just about fit in a scanner.

I know. I was thinking of that and thought of explaining it to her, but the trouble is I dont think she'd understand. I once tried to explain to them at work why the pros spend £30k on digital camera gear alone and they couldnt really grasp it, they thought a digi compact is basically the same, lol!

Even so, I still feel that £70 is steep. Maybe he's been forced into this situation, I dont know. I have seen a couple of little studios dissappear as quickly as they had arrived, and there is one down the road fom me struggling to survive.

6. Jim_Bell

Jim_Bell Member

I wonder how many of you out there have lost your job because someone somewhere (pobably China) can do it cheaper. I am assuming the original photographer was professional. There is more to the cost than just the print costs. There are years of struggle to get to the standard required for producing quality. There's usually expensive professional equipement involved. The pro probably doesn't use a £50 print scanner to save a few bob and he probably isn't getting clients popping in every day. It's easy to do a job cheaper when you do not do it for a living. It's easy to breach someone's copyright. Be warned you and the original client could be sued.

7. 0

0 Guest

The tog may not take kindly to you breaching his copyright, either, Dan. :eek:

8. benlovejoy

benlovejoy Well-Known Member

Different business models

Some charge little or nothing for the shoot, and make their money on prints (the traditional model). Others charge a creation fee, and then have only a small mark-up on prints. Depending on the model, and the quality of the photography, £70 for a print may be a bargain.

Ben