1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£600 to Spend

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Nealxs, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Nealxs

Nealxs Well-Known Member

I've just recieved a grant to run a photography project in the Youth Club I run in Cardiff. In my budget I asked for £600 for a DSLR body and £550 on lenses.

I've been looking around for sometime as to what is best for this money but I'm getting stuck!

350D: Seems like a high spec piece of kit though feels too small.
    D70s: Feels great though a lower megapixel rate and there has been debate if it's lost it's footing in the market at the price it is.
    D50: Much cheaper, which worries me a bit, but nigh on the same spec at the D70 (on paper at least)
    E500: Unsure about it.

So, if you had this money to spend on a DSLR what would you go for? Explanations would be great as it will inform my choice. Thanks

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Does it have to be digital?

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Too small for a youth club? :D

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

............Yes! :D :D :D (Just said that to annoy him! :D :D :D)

I'd go for the 350D..................but then I'm a Canon man and prejudiced. Don't think you'd go far wrong with any of your choices actually.

Have a shuftey at the detailed reviews on dpreview.com and see if that helps sway you one way or the other.

www.dpreview.com

BigWill

5. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

6. Nealxs

Nealxs Well-Known Member

Yea it has to be digital as we're going to get in to image manipulation and so on, and processing costs would be a little excessive.

Thanks for that link BigWill, I'll take a gander at it to see what is what.

Are the EF lenses comparable to the sigma lenses?

7. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

You might want to wait until the 20Ds replacement is announced (maybe on tuesday). The price of the 20D is now £750, might get cheaper on clearance

8. Nealxs

Nealxs Well-Known Member

Ooo now that is very interesting. Thanks for that bit of info. How likely is it to be announced on tuesday? Or could it be a month down the line?

9. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Its difficult to say whats going to happen, but i've seen a few websites and they all point to a date around the 21st.

As seen here

10. Nealxs

Nealxs Well-Known Member

Having decided on the camera I'm going to buy (Canon 20d) I now need some advice on lenses. The package comes with an 18-55mm lens which is great and brings it in the price range. However I'm after a 100-300mm lens, those that I am considering are:

Sigma 70-300mm
    Rather cheap which worries me. It also says it has a macro mode, is it actually any use for macro shooting?

CANON EF 75-300 III F4-5.6 USM
    I've no idea what the USM part of it is, though it is twice the price which makes me wonder.

CANON EF 75-300 III F4-5.6 telephoto lens
    Night on the same lens it seems, though it is telephoto. Could anyone explain the difference?

Which one would you go for? I've got up to £200 for a lens so these are ideal. I'm assuming they are cheap due to the limited f-stop range, is that correct? Are Sigma comparable to the Canon EF ones in terms of quality? Which would you go for? Thanks for your comments and patience.

11. Nealxs

Nealxs Well-Known Member

Anyone got any views?

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I doubt if any are much to write home about. In fact I'm sure the Canons have been commented on about being a bit soft at the 300mm end.

FWIW USM means UltraSonic Motor, the motor uses high speed vibrations to drive the focus mechanism. The best version is a ring around and directly driving the focus unit but I doubt this lens uses it. It probably has one of the cheaper versions which act through gears. USM's are quieter and faster than the normal electric motors used, the best version is very quick smooth and silent.

Unless you have an overwhelming need for one I keep saving for a bit. If you are prepared to go 2nd hand you might look out for the 75-300 IS USM. This features image stabilisation to counter camera shake in hand held photography; IS works by using two motors to move a floating group of lenses in inverse response to perceived camera movement.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The two Canon lenses listed are indeed the same lens. It's not a bad performer, although as Nigel says, it's a bit soft at the long end. If the budget could be stretched at all, I've just bought the newish Canon 70-300 IS lens for £359 today, which is supposed to be very much better optically. If the budget can't be stretched, either the Sigma or the Canon will do you a fair enough job.