1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£6.5m credit card bill ....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

A credit card bill of £6.5m was run up by staff at a quango tasked with making police forces in England and Wales more efficient

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

It begs belief. What goes through their minds when they are spending taxpayer money? :(

Must be "who cares it's not out of my wallet/purse."

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Easily done. Ir's those Zeiss lenses Roger is so fond of.:D

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Got it in one. :mad:

a precis of a tome on economics. I can't remember either author now sadly!

This isn't the first "abuse of government credit cards by staff" story, and it sure won't be the last. :(

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

The thing that gets me is the report that expenditure of over £500 is going to be subject to scrutiny, under that sum is considered loose change.:mad::mad:

Don't these people consider themselves part of the real World, or don't they care?

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Brian,
    The report doesn't say that. It says that expenditure over £500 will be published. I am assuming that a person's line manager will scrutinise ALL expenditure. I know that I did when I was responsible some years ago.

MickLL

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

My mistake. So if I can see yours , then you can see mine. ;)

8. bechisbest

bechisbest Well-Known Member

Why are these middle class wastrels not made to account for their crimes(fraudulent conversion,etc, etc.) in a court ? Oh yes sorry, I keep forgetting there are two sets of law in this country.

9. TimF

And if those "line managers" are doing the same thing they'll turn a blind eye. You know it and I know it. Nothing will change until the culture does; that's as true in the public sector as it is in the banking industry or elsewhere.

10. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I wonder if these things were bought for a good reason or if they were fraudulent? The web page offers no reason for the puchases?

Graeme

11. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

What we need is a quango to look into the efficiency of spending by quangos.

12. TimF

I think government cards are supposed to used only for purchases relevant to the job. Quite how lingerie, karaoke, judo and pottery fit into that is anybody's guess. :p

13. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

A very cheep PA system......mugs for the tea room....police training equipment and a compensation claim when "a police dog ate my pants".....

You dont need a lot of imagination to remove taxpayers alliance type spin....if it is there in the first place. So without knowing why these items were purchased, if they were part of the business and approved spending, it seems daft to work up a lather.

Government Procurement cards (visa debit cards not credit cards) have been the prefered means of purchasing for several years (replacing the paper driven purchase order). Apparently its a model that has been copied from the private sector.....saves on administrator costs. There have been spectacular abuses- most seem to be at the top where there are less checks and the spend limit is greater. But the general claim is that overall its more cost effective.

Graeme

14. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

The last (Labour) Mayor of London allegedly poured millions of pounds of London Council Taxpayer's money into an "Islamic Womens Centre" in Stoke Newington. When investigated, it transpired this "Centre" was an abadoned, derelict shop that hadn't been in use for many years.

Has anyone been prosecuted for fraud???........of course not!!

15. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

So Livingstone signed millions off personally without any scrutiny! Got a link to substantiate this, err, story...?

16. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

It was the subject of of a TV documentary ("Dispatches" I think) when he failed to get re-elected. There were other abuses; mainly taxpayers money pouring into "deprived" areas that vanished without trace, but it was this one that stood out.

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

So that's all right then. Letting holders of tax payer funded credit cards to run amok is cost effective. I am so relieved ,there was silly me thinking it was abuse of trust, fraud, and in fact stealing.

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Presumably a lot of that bill must be "benefits in kind" and if not declared would be tax evasion - a criminal offence.

19. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I was just informing folk on how the modern civil service carries out it's purchasing. If folk just want to spleen vent from a position of ignorance fine by me. Its too hot in New York to worry me.

Graeme