1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£50m lottery fraud?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Straightarm, Dec 14, 2007.

1. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I had to remove my bell as every bell I've used (3 different types I might add) went off on the roads around here, let alone when you go over a speed bump in the street. Our roads here are a complete mess. Drivers start to ignore you if you're travelling along with the bell whirling all the way down the road. :eek:

How is the law on cycle helmets. Several people at work have told me its illegal to ride a push bike without one. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm sure I dont remember that law being added/amended..?

As for red lights, you've just reminded me. I need to contact whoever is in charge of the lights as several on my routes change far too quickly - I can enter a cross roads on green, get halfway and find its red with traffic approaching on my left. :eek: I aint a slow rider either. :D

2. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

Should they though? The railways managed to get built without much help from the taxpayer at the start; roads to useful places managed to get built, though with tolls, as did many canals. Even bridges got built - either privately with tolls, or through public subscription via the local corporations.

3. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

You don't need one, unless the bike has a motor. In which case, become an honorary Sikh.

4. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

IMO, yes. Railways, well the current situation is that very nearly half (some people claim significantly more than half) of the operating costs come from general taxation rather than fares. That's not counting the capital cost of expansion or upgrading the rail network.

As for roads, if we got back even a few percent of the taxation levied on road users by way of maintainance of what we've got, we'd be doing well. Much more expenditure is required on expansion of the road network to alleviate gridlock, unless you're prepared to cut the population by at least half. But no, the only thing that gets funded is "traffic calming" and speed cameras.

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

....and we are still paying for all those canals.....

Graeme

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

No, that's a "Stop" sign, you don't have to come to a complete halt at a "Give Way" sing.

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Interesting, seeing as the evidence is that rather alleviating traffic, increasing roads actually encourages more traffic making the traffic issues worse.

There is only one answer to alleviating gridlock and that is fewer/shorter road journeys. The public transport infrastructure cannot cope with the added strain so the only way to achieve this is to revert to the way we lived 50 years ago where people would only live within walking distance (although they were prepared to walk far greater distances then) or a bus/train ride from their place of work/shopping/leisure pursuits. The only way to achieve the above is to make it harder for people to be able to justify using their cars.

Taxing parking places at work, congestion charging, lane restrictions are all superb ideas, firstly because they mean that fewer people will be inclined to drive, but more importantly they really annoy Daily Mail types.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

You don't need a helmet on a push-bike unless you're racing....or crashing :D Has only been a few weeks since I was glad I had a helmet on after landing on my back in rocks. My head hit the ground hard enough to crush the back of the helmet...head doesn't hurt but tail bone still does 3 weeks later :(

..and I was kidding about the red lights....mostly ;) Am hardly ever on the road cycling anyway.

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

That's because the congestion is so bad. Go back to the amount of road per vehicle that there was in the 30s and the traffic issues would vanish.

Two ways to do that: (1) build 10 times as many roads as we have at the moment; (2) reduce population by 90%.

10. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

Very true. But I don't see anyone queuing up to join the 90%. :)

11. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Let's start with the moaners and cynics. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Canon and Nikon slr owners next...job done /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    (compacts don't count :D)

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Ah yeah thats the way, heh heh...good job I got epilepssy eh? ;) :D

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Well, if we start with Daily Wail, Diana Express and Torygraph readers, I might be in favour.

Once you'd done that though you'd have got rid of most of the pillocks clmaouring for more roads (but not of course anywhere near their house thankyou very much) and so we wouldn't need to get rid of any more of the population.

Sounds like a plan :D

15. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Well, while not actively reducing the population, Mrs Nod and myself made a conscious decision 20 years ago not to breed, so we aren't contributing to population increase.

Offset slightly by the decision of my sister and Mrs Nod's brother (who are married to one another!) to produce 2 sprogs from approximately the same gene pool!

16. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Mrs H and I made the same decision. Not only does it help with the population problem but think just how much it reduces your carbon footprint, too. All those nappies not going in to landfill. All that extra food that doesn't need growing. All that clothing and material goods that don't need making. Extra cars taken off the roads along with the reductuion in fuel used. You only need a smaller house. And the economic savings are incredible. :D

17. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Other 'systems' are available, as this household can attest. :rolleyes:

18. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

.....All those nappies not needing to be washed day in day out using the washing machine endlessly and using up precious water and fuel resources /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Me, myself and I made the same decision ;)

20. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

you'll find cyclist like me who have good lights ETC hate these people just as much as cars do, maybe even a bit more.