1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£50 million Big Lottery Fund

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AlanW, Oct 24, 2007.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

It seems that how £50 million of lottery money gets spent is to be decided by public vote - details here - but is turning the distribution of lottery money into a popularity contest the best way to decide? Are the public the best people to ask? Sounds ridiculous to me

2. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

As I said to my wife last night, Why not just split it four ways?

That way every one wins.

Simple answer is it not??????

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Sounds as good a way as any to me or they could just draw lots, well it is a bit of a lottery :eek:

4. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Depends. If you have a project that costs £x, donating £x-1 may be a total waste - the project doesn't get completed, and the money which some other project could have used is lost.

If ITV are adding the money they make from the phone competition to the funding, then it sounds OK to me. OTOH if they intend to take the phone money and stuff it into their own coffers ... :mad:

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

If the public don't decide would this grant be any different from any other lottery grant? It's their money and they can do what they like as far as I'm concerned.

Is asking the public the best way to run a country?

6. Gordon_McGeachie

As with most projects that need money from the lottery, they have to raise some of it themselves, the lottery won`t give the project all the money it needs.

Take the Vulcan To The Sky project ( www.tvoc.co.uk )for a prime example.

If this wasnt a worthy cause then I dont know what is, but then again, this one is nothing to do with the `arts`.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Judging by many of the things I see on here, definitely not! :eek:

8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

It's called democracy and has been around for some time now ;)

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

In theory anyway :D

10. Gordon_McGeachie

I also think that the lottery should give money to major health charities.

They can afford to give £1,000,000 one month to cancer research, then the next month the same to the British Heart Foundation, and so on......

Are these not deifined as `Good Causes`?

11. gingerjon

gingerjon Well-Known Member

A Charity Fundraiser writes ... it's part of a BLF strategy designed to (a) deflect the lingering criticism that it only supports refugees and lesbians (which led to the end of the old Community Fund) and (b) cover up for the £XXXm drop in funding it is able to give over the next five years because ticket sales are falling and someone has to pay for the Olympics.

12. Gordon_McGeachie

Is the tax payer not paying for the olympics then??

If not, can I have a rebate?

13. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

No, mostly us Londoners and business.

14. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

May have been around for a while, but doesn't mean it works. :rolleyes:

"'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough." - Noah Cross (Chinatown, 1974)

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

i.e. the ones who'll the see the benefits such vastly improved infrastructure and increased revenue through tourism generated before during and as a legacy to the Games.

16. gingerjon

gingerjon Well-Known Member

All the lottery funders are having money diverted to the Olympics. Off the top of my head I can't remember the amounts for each but it's a few hundred million each from the BLF and Heritage Lottery Fund and £99m from Sport England (taken from non Olympic sports).

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's what I have against elections in general. :rolleyes: :D

18. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

An old cynical friend of mine used to say, "If voting changed things, they wouldn't let us do it". :eek:

19. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

"A democrat need not believe that the majority will always reach a wise decision. He should however believe in the necessity of accepting the decision of the majority, be it wise or unwise, until such a time that the majority reaches another decision." - Bertrand Russell

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Away! It's all about whinging loudest and holding folk to ransom /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif :D