1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£40 a day to represent your country

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TH-Photos, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The ladies don't swap shirts at the end of the game, so why should they get the same pay.

2. jeffA

jeffA Well-Known Member

At least they get paid, there are plenty of Sports where the players have to pay their own way even when representing their country. My daughter has represented England at Tenpin bowling and while the hotel and travel are usually paid for she usually has to pay for her own meals and other incidental expenses, in fact she has just returned from Russia where she represented England in the AMF world cup where we had to fund raise so her coach could attend.I appreciate bowling is classed as a minority sport but you often read of other sports ,some with much higher profiles that have the same problems.
    Jeff

3. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. I find most women's tennis to be extremely boring because, until the later rounds of the tournament, the skill gap is too wide.

Don't pick me up on the numbers because I'm making them up. It seems to me that any men's match between two of the top twenty, say, is likely to be competitive. IMHO the same can only be said of the top five women.

As I said - numbers wrong completely but it's the way I see it in principal.

MickLL

4. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Equal pay for equal work I understand but I cannot believe that anyone really thinks that the Wimbledon thing is an equal work issue. The women clearly do less and at a lower standard - otherwise we could just have a single uni-sex event couldn't we?

I think we have to see tennis as show-biz and that the argument has more to do with entertainment value and what people are prepared to pay to watch. Someone representing the women has done a good job of arguing their case, but without access to the financial information I have no idea how sound that case really is.

5. crymble

crymble Well-Known Member

This isn't actually a men/woman thing, it's all to do with the popularity of the sport. Like it or not (not in my case!) Mens football is more popular than Womans football so the male footballers get paid more.

Just try representing your country in a real minority sport and you will find that you actually end up having to pay to go to international events and have to pay for your own team strip (and I do know what I am talking about as I used to represent Scotland in Orienteering and Cross-country skiing.)

K