1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£40 a day to represent your country

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TH-Photos, Nov 15, 2007.

1. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

That's what the ladies in the FA womens football team received while in China. Article here. The article omits to say how much their male counterparts receive on international duty.

Does the equal pay act not apply to sport? It doesn't with regard to prize money in the same event. eg. Wilmbledon.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But the men and women get the same prize money at Wimbledon.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

equal pay with the same employer...the Womens FA and the FA are two different employers.

4. TH-Photos

Oh sugar! Picked a bad example, should have held them up as an example of good practice.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

actually it is a good example..but it took years to achieve.
    I think it reflects the esteem that Womens Football is held in in this country, plus the fact that I think our boys (apologies if you don't support the England team) get a mere pittance when they represent their country- well it's not as much as they would get paid normally :D

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Bad luck, actually - they only changed it this year. :D

However, it is an interesting case - women only play a maxiumum of 60% of the maximum number of games that men play, yet get equal pay. Is that in itself an inequality, in that men have to work up to 67% more to achieve the same reward? I pose it as a topic for debate - I'm not entirely sure what I think.

7. TH-Photos

That's splitting hairs, does the Women's FA set its own rules for the game? No, they use the same ones as the men on the pitch.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

it's now the same with pensions of course.
    Women and men wanted equality and look at how that turned out :eek:
    I do believe however you should be allowed to work for as long as you want after a certain age. The way things are going it's likely to be after 96 :D

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What's that got to do with it? It's entirely down to a comparison with the same employer, hardly splitting hairs - it's the whole foundation of equal pay legislation.

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

yes employment laws apply to everyone- therefore by your suggestion I should get paid the same as Phillip Green cos we both work in a shop. Obviously different companies pay different rates- unfortunately that's what happens here.
    I agree with you by the way :D

11. TH-Photos

It took a moment to see where your stats came from. The female champion plays the same number of matches as the male, assuming they were both seeded. Granted that the female match is the best of 3 sets where as the male match is the best of 5. However, and this is an observation that I have no stats for, in the female game the rallies are longer and each point takes longer to win. The female game is more entertaining to watch as many more serves are returned.

12. TH-Photos

Football's governing body in this country is the FA. They, I believe, set up the Womens' FA to avoid responsibilities under the Sex Discrimination Act so that they would not have to admit girls over 10, I think, into boys' teams. If it was the FA that set up the Womens' FA then morally the women should be on the same terms as the men.

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

None of them should get paid to represent their Country ;)

14. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Equal pay? P'ah!

See what happens, one minute you give them the vote, then look what happens... :rolleyes: /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

^What he said^

16. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

[in the pooh mode on]I do not think they should get the same ammount, after all, they play less sets per game.......[/in the pooh mode off]

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Why? Surely it's a question of quality over quantity. I'd much rather watch a ladies' tennis match than a mens' one.

18. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

But then men play best of 5 sets and women best of 3 ... Doesn't bother me, perhaps women tennis players ought to be paid more, the games are much more entertaining :rolleyes:

19. Supersonic

Supersonic Well-Known Member

It's impossible to quantify what 'entertaining' is. However, I suspect you don't watch much tennis, or if you do, you don't play any. If you think the rallies in women's tennis are longer, take a look at Venus Williams or Maria Sharapova's matches. Get over to the ATP site and check out some of the lengths of womens matches. The women simply play less hours of tennis at each tournament.

Equally, did you watch David Nalbandian or Rafael Nadal at the Paris Masters recently? The rallies were certainly not short and were highly entertaining.

The situations we have at the moment have come about due to money and supply and demand. And this isn't something you can simply abolish - if people were paid equally irrespective of the market they were in, things would just fold. Could women's football survive if the players were paid the same as Premiership male players?

Which would you rather have? No professional women's football or unequally-paid (at present) women's footballers?

Back to the tennis, Wimbledon does now pay equal prize-money but the mens tennis still attracts bigger crowds and commands larger tv rights fees.

So the women are paid equally at Wimbledon - doesn't bother me, I'd still rather watch mens tennis any day as it's much more entertaining.

20. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I dont know....when I think back to memorable hard faught tennis matches, its not just the mens game that comes to mind. I can remember a Venus Williams match where there were a couple of stand out points, Sharapova having to dramtically lunge at a drop shot and even Billy Jean King throwing a tantrum an demanding "new balls please".

Graeme