1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£4 a pint?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barney, Oct 2, 2009.

1. geepee

geepee Well-Known Member

Appropriate typo. ;)

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Oh! and as an add-on and continuing to 'big it up' for the Oak, two other beers from West Berks, Dr. Hexters Healer (Champion Strong Bitter at this years GBBF) and Dr. Hexter's Wedding Ale are named in honour of the landlord of the Oak, Mr. Paul Hexter (who also came up with the recipe for Healer) :D :D

Spoilt for choice when it comes to micro breweries we are. Apart from West Berks and Pitstop there's also Ramsbury, Best Mates, Adkin and White Horse breweries. :D

3. Hotblack

Two things I still can't get my head around.
    a) you frequented a dive such as The Slug and Lettuce
    b) you ordered a pint of (exceedingly expensive) chilled horse pee.

:D :D :D

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

^ WHS ^

5. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

And most excellent it was :)

6. Hotblack

No, no, no. And most excellent it is.

As far as I'm aware it still exists.

:D :D

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Definitely 'was'

It didn't last long at the GBBF :D

8. Hotblack

And quite right too.

Hmm. I can see a trip to the Oak this evening hoving in to view. :D

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Try Kronenberg in the Cafe Royal (Edinburgh) - you would have had a c) for having waited long enough to get served

10. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I started on scrumpy shandy when I was 16, tanner a pint (2 1/2 p), by the time I joined the RAF at 18 I was on straight scrumpy, not shandy or tops, but it was up to 7d a pint in Calne.

Used to be quite hilarious watching the unsuspecting new recruits from up north discovering it, most fell by the wayside at 2 pints, it was evil stuff, no H&S nannies then. Rumour had it that if enough rats didn't fall in the vat they threw in a side of beef to give it a bit of body.

11. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Was told about Taddy Strong Ale by my dad. An electrician was doing some repairs in the pub, had his lunch and a couple of pints of TSA - which he was warned about. He went up his stepladder and promptly fell off..

Some years ago the Arts Centre (now called something else) they were doing Gold Label barley wine at 60p a bottle, three in a pint I managed 2 pints. Was a bit squiffy afterwards.. was 18 at the time. IIRC it was 10.9% Nice pint :D

I usually have a few pints of Banks's mild when in Wolvo which is a nice brew.
    York does some lovely brews in the shape of York Brewery, their Centurion Ghost Ale is pretty lethal in large quantities..

12. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Dear me,the price of ale seems to be on a rapid rise. Give it time and it might even get to be as expensive as printer ink.

13. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

I remember that sort of price. I also remember giving up drinking when it reached £1 a pint, again at £2 and I will probably give up a third time when it reaches £3 locally (£2.70 at presnt so it is getting close.)

Sadly, the other effect is it encourages drinking at home, as does the widespread move to gastropubs where food is the king and a few old codgers sipping the odd pint are no longer welcome.

I'm only glad we have such a great range of really good bottled beers available at about £1.70 in local Morrisons.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Serves you right for drinking beer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif £4 a pint for whisky would be alright I s'pose.

I was at a private party in the 'Hawke and Hunter' bar in Edinburgh a couple of months back - I seem to recall them wanting £4 a pint for draught Carling. :eek:

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

You can't be sure what you are drinking even if you can see the keg.

If it comes in a bottle I don't want it anyway.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Whisky comes in bottles! :D

As does gin, rum, sake, cider and other good things...

17. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Me too. :). Mc.Ewans Champion and Fullers 1845 being two of my favourites.

Nig. :)

18. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Local does Banks' for £1.85 and often has a few nice guest beers on too, usually quite reasonable. Jenning's Cockerhoop atm.

19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

And the last bus back is just before closing time... Ooooh, we might just be persuaded!

Adrian

PS City Beer Festival 15th-17th...

20. freestyleminibus

freestyleminibus Active Member

Can't remember how much I paid last night for my beer. But I've got about £100 in change in my trouser pocket......