1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£4 a pint?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Barney, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I don't think that I've ever paid £4 a pint for a normal draught beer yet, but I came dame near tonight, £3.95 for a pint of Peroni in the Slug and Lettuce, Harrogate. Crap pub, crap beer, stupidly high price. Needless to say, I just stayed for one.

I couldn;t believe it. I drink regularly in London and I've yet to pay more than £3.50 a pint. Has anyone here paid more than £4 for a pint in this country?

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

My first one cost me 28p!

Graeme(and the beer was cheep too)

3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It certainly wasn't that cheap when I started drinking, but I can remember getting ten pints and a fish supper for less then a tenner when I were a lad.

Acutally, when I were a student the pub next door to my house (I moved next to a pub and opposite a launderette, suffice to say that I never used the launderette once but was on first name terms with the staff in the pub ;) ) did Banks's Mild for 96p a pint.

4. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

lol.....those were the days a night out for a tenner...even the student bar charges £2 a pint :)

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Many times at London City Airport. Doesn't help that I drink Hoegaarden :D

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Feck me rigid, £4.10 for a pint of Boddingtons? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course, in an airport lounge you're a captive audience, but then I've never been tempted to drink in an airport and now I'm glad.

7. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

20 Kensitas tipped...4/10d [under 25p] with a pint of heavy at 2/6d [22 1/2 p] :eek:
    equates roughly to todays prices £5.50 for fags, and about £2.70 a pint. :D

8. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

Cost is the main reason I don't drink much anywhere nowadays - that and the fact that I always seem to be driving!
    When I first started work I earned £10.68 a week, and from that I could get a packet of fags, a return ticket to London and see a gig for one of the major bands!

9. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I still baulk at paying £3 a pint. Around £2.80 seems standard here in Oxfordshire but my local still sells the local mild (and a damn fine pint it is too; West Berkshire Brewery Maggs Magnificent Mild) for £2.20.

IIRC my first pint cost me about 50p. :)

10. Manofolympus

Manofolympus Well-Known Member

You could always make it yourself!

11. geepee

geepee Well-Known Member

My first recollections are a pint of mild for 1/10d. Less that 10p. :cool:

12. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

If you want to play that game I remember buying a pint of 'black velvet' (cider and stout mixed - we were cheapos) for one shilling and three pence (about 6p).

MickLL

13. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

It wasn't Greenalls, was it? [​IMG]

14. geepee

geepee Well-Known Member

No, I was a Suvverner in them days. Probably Whitbreads IIRC.

15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Can I move in with you, Dave? That's my favourite beer!

Incidentally, on the subject of fizzy foreign beer, the Jericho Tavern in Oxford used to charge well over £3 for the foreign ones on the big fonts. Last week I had a pint of Franziskaner - which makes Peroni taste like horsewater - for £2.80, which is about normal for a pint in the city. Dunno why they changed, but I'm not complaining!

Adrian

16. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

No need to do that Adrian. Get the X30 from St. Aldates to Wantage (around 35-40 mins journey) and go to the Royal Oak (which has just been voted Regional Pub of the Year for the 2nd year running, putting it in the top 16 of all pubs in the country and in to the finals of the POTY competition again) :D :D

It also sells a range of beers from the newly launched Pitstop Brewery which is situated next door to Williams F1 and behind Bellingers Garage. Sump (7%) has just been voted Beer of the Festival at the Ascot Beer Festival. Other beers are called such things as Hoppenheim (a very hoppy ale) and Course Tart (also very hoppy), Pole Position, Penelope (as in Penelope Pitstop....geddit?? :D) a rather delicious albeit strong mild at 5%, Brickyard, Bitumen and Last Lap. All are 5% or stronger and tend to be very dark, intensely flavoured beers, especially Sump and Bitumen (10% :eek:), as the names would suggest. :D :D

17. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Few years ago I was paying £1.26 a pint for Sam Smiths draught bitter (doubt it will be over £2 even now, it's a cheep brew). Used to sup John Smiths Magnet for 99p a pint.

Best ever....
    Got stopped by someone doing a questionnaire in York once - they asked 'do you drink beer?' which immediately got my attention...
    Got invited to a beer tasting at a hotel.

7 pints later, a fiver in my pocket and a free taxi home - one of the best (and cheapest) nights out I've had in ages. Beer was John Smiths JSX (I found out) which is now called 'Extra Smooth' :D

18. geepee

geepee Well-Known Member

Tar for that. ;)

19. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

The Slug and Lettuce in Harrogate make Peroni taste like horsewater with no need of any extrenal assistance whatsoever.

20. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Ah, that takes me back to the days when roadworkers would mark up the barrels of tar on the back of their wagons with 'Mild' and 'Bitter' :D