1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£350 quid fine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John_K, Jan 8, 2010.

1. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

Well, Harriet Harman got her comeuppance after pleading guilty to Driving without Due care and attention. The mobile pho charge was dropped and there was no mention of leaving the scene of an accident. Still £350 Quid, plus costs whatever they were and 3 more points on her licence isn't bad (She now has 9!)Who is going to get her the last 3 so she loses her licence altogether. I will buy that person a pint!

All bluff and bluster, like a good number of her mates on the front bench when she said she would fight it and then pleads guilty. Total waste of a good pair of kidneys!

2. chris000

chris000 Well-Known Member

Why?

She has committed an offence and has, quite rightly, been punished. Why would you want her to commit another one?

3. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

She got off lightly (max fine for due care is £5K) and couldn't be bothered to turn up to court personally either.

No doubt there will be some way to fiddle it on MP expenses.

4. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

5. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

9 points now get another 3 and she looses her licence. I am not vindictive but anyone in high public office as she is who behaves like she did, deserves more than she got this time.

6. chris000

chris000 Well-Known Member

:eek:

7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Absolutely stonkingly excellent! C'mon Britain get into this sort of stuff. I love it!

And I doubt very much if HH had 12 points she would lose her licence. I share the OPs dislike for this loathsome creature and I would personally love to see her get her comeuppance for being a high handed holier than thou hypocrite. Perhaps unfair but understandable when you witness people like her, who, IMHO are totally unworthy of holding any public office, getting favoured by the law simply because of who they are.

Willie

8. Still_Togging_Along

Still_Togging_Along In the Stop Bath

I rather like the system applied in Switzerland, after all, higher incomes come with greater responsabilities and therefore higher fines. In one of the Scandinavian countries, the penalty for road offenders includes X no of hours repairing them.

9. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Trouble is, if we did it here it would have to apply also to the "impoverished".

"I'm broke so I can drive as fast as I like"? . . . . . :eek:

10. Oggy

Oggy RIP

So, if you work harder the offence is more serious whereas if you decide to produce offspring and live on benefits it is less so?

11. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Oh please, since when has how hard you work ever had that much to do with how much you earn?

12. Oggy

Oggy RIP

Once long ago in a Utopia called Link Miles it did Barney. Happy days. ;)

13. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Perhaps fines could be means tested, or tariffs set by percentage of net income/worth instead of £.S.D. :rolleyes:

14. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Don't follow these. If we each had to pay a proportionate fine the punishment would be fair all round. It would impact to the same extent on all. At the moment the fact is that " If I'm rich I can drive as fast as I like". The reverse would not apply.

Of course If you have an underlying assumption that richer people deserve to have a much easier time of it in terms of responsibilities, the suggestion of fairness might be offensive ;)

Willie

15. MPB

MPB Well-Known Member

What he said

16. nanstallon

nanstallon Well-Known Member

If the courts imposed (and enforced) unpaid community work, like road repairs in the present cold snap, there would be no need to means test the offender. The exercise would do rich banksters, who had transgressed, a lot of good and it would be quite appropriate for Harriet Harperson (or any other politician) to do an honest day's work for a change.

I don't hold any brief for HH, but at least she was subjected to the legal process for what she did. In many other corrupt authoritarian states, the ruling party is exempt, so maybe there's hope yet.

17. gollum

gollum Well-Known Member

The last euro bike run the Swiss wouldn't let us in :eek:
    :D
    The scandinavians were cool though ;)

18. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Every one should know by now, its one rule for them, and another for us :mad: