1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£3112 for a bit of leather....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SiFowler, Oct 18, 2003.

1. SiFowler

SiFowler Well-Known Member

In AP today, Leica have launched a limited edition MP rangefinder, which is covered in calf skin. Supplied with a 35mm f2 lens, it costs £6100. Now the MP costs £1988 (body only)according to the same article, and the 35mm f2 lens costs £1000 at Wilkinson Cameras on page 84. So that means the leather must cost £3112. Surely this is taking 'limited editions' too far, or am I missing something?

<font color=red> Simon </font color=red> /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    <font color=blue> Be pesimistic, then life is full of surprises!</font color=blue>

2. 0

0 Guest

Well, you can't get the wood, you know./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Steve

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

No Simon, you're not missing anything. But if this (and the similar limited edns. threatened for future years) are bought by discerning cognescenti / drooling madmen with far too much money for my liking (delete according to taste!) it'll keep Leica in business, and that is a good thing.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

4. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Think exclusivity, not value for money.

David

5. SiFowler

SiFowler Well-Known Member

Think exclusivity, not value for money

Yeah, but I like to think you get what you pay for. Limited edition cars have extras, limited edition cameras have someting extra, even its just the look for a bit extra. But this is still over £3000 for a bit of leather. How many cows does it take to cover a Leica anyway? I'm not trying to get at Leica- hell if I had the money, I'd give one a test run. It just that this does appear to be taking the p*ss. Still, if you have the money....

<font color=red> Simon </font color=red> /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif
    <font color=blue> Be pesimistic, then life is full of surprises!</font color=blue>

6. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Not just a bit of leather

Real do-do skin!
    Limited edition toys for very rich boys
    Not for photographers

Graham IRIPN

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Re: Not just a bit of leather

Yeah, meant to be collected not used.

Hmmm, sat in a collectors cabinet, gathering dust and never seen a film. Sad fate for any camera let alone a Leica!

Nigel FRIPN

"Nikon........ it's a love thing"/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif