1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£300 - compact or bridge

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by ken2242, May 8, 2009.

1. ken2242

ken2242 New Member

Sony T900 of interest with size and touchscreen ...
    Bridge camera maybe like RICOH GRII perhaps ?

Dont want SLR yet, but interested in more than a point and shoot , but KISS

Mostly portraits and scenery but wish to tinker beyond

Will the likes of the T900 or high end compacts give me this flexibility or better to consider small footprint Bridge
    Any recommendations

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Most compacts seem to have little or no control over aperture/shutter speed settings, though some Canon do have this facility, epecially the G10. You might like to look at Canon's newer range as well.

I have tried two or three 'bridge' cameras and have always come to the same conclusion - I just cannot live with the electronic viewfinder; and composing using the rear screen on such a comparitively big (compared to a compact) camera can be fraught with camera shake problems, despite image stabilisation.

I am therefore in the same boat as you - I do not want a DSLR, but I want something with a zoom that is longer than the normal 3x. I must admit to being attracted to the Panasonic TZ7, with its 25-300mm equivalent zoom, but I am not really interested in HD video. I am therefore considering the Panasonic TZ6, which is similar, but with a slightly smaller LCD screen and without HD video, at about £75 cheaper than the TZ7. There is not much manual input, though, on either of these cameras.

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I think you would be better served with a bridge camera. If you can run to it the Fiji S100 is a nice job.