1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£25 of jessops vouchers...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Linux_Lady, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

One of my friends sent me a really nice card and a present recently and she put £25 worth of Jessops vouchers inside... (as she's lovely and knows I'd appreciate that a lot more than boots vouchers /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

But what to spend them on? :D

Is there anything small and useful that I could buy but just don't know it....?

Or should I be sensible and wait until there is something I really, really want?

However, I don't buy much from jessops to be honest.. I tend to go elsewhere as they aren't the cheapest...

What would you spend them on and have you got any suggestions? I kinda wish I had waited and bought my 50mm lens from them.... but looking at the price on there (£79.99)... I'd have saved like, £5 as I found it cheaper elsewhere....

Filters? (I know nothing about filters really... might be a good idea to learn BEFORE buying them, then at least I can work out what I need /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Lens hoods? (ditto above)

Decisions, decisions, decisions... :(

All nice, non-sarcastic, non-rude advice gratefully appreciated and recieved... everyone else will be banished to the lounge to watch Riki Lake and other chat shows entitled 'you're too fat to be wearing that' and 'from butch.. to babe'... :D

2. Mr_Geoff

Mr_Geoff Well-Known Member

Talk to Tom - when you're back in Reading I'm sure he'll sort something out for you... :)

3. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

If you've got a decent sized Jessops in either base town, have a rummage through their bargain bins - you might fing a widget that you wouldn't normally buy but since it's a sort of freebie...

Have a look at their site and see if there's anything you fancy on there - again, it needn't be a necessity, more a treat for yourself.

Maybe a nice, comfy neoprene neck strap? A basic lens cleaning kit? A rocket blower for your sensor? Even a couple of photo albums? Can you use them to pay for printing?

HTH.

4. Overread

Overread Well-Known Member

With filters and such the advice often given is like for tripods - there are cheap options, but once you have shelled out for decent kit why limit yourself with substandard accessories?
    More to the point even low grade kit needs good filters as they are another layer of glass between the object and the sensor.
    Other things to get: what about putting the money towards a battery grip or a bubble level (it clips into the flash shoe for those perfectly balanced landscape shots). You could also get a remote shutter release for your camera.

5. Linux_Lady

Mwa ha ha *snort* Tom sorting me out.. hahahahahahahahaha...

*ahem*

Thanks for the suggestions guys, they are really helpful..

I got a FAB lens cleaning pen last month from Amazon which I chose thanks to the very helpful advice on this forum... it's so cool (little things please little minds) all the smudges just magically go! and it was only, like.. £9 or something...

I've had a look at Jessops website but it's rather hard to navigate if you don't at least have an idea of what to buy... I've got the basic strap on the 400D and it's ok... as for the printing, that's not a bad idea actually - the only thing is.. well, I'm away from home 4-5 days a week and am impatient and lazy (fab combo, I know) so I tend to order from truprint... so when I get back home they are there on my mat... :D

Photo albums *are* a great idea.. I usually go to WHSmiths and buy those big ones with the sticky pages but not boundries? so I can print photos in all different sizes and blow up the ones I like the most....

The long suffering boyfriend ordered a spare battery for me off Amazon last week.. else I think I would have gone for that idea.. ;)

Battery grip? well, yes... but at the moment? I never run out of battery in a weekend and I'd buy another memory card but haven't ever taken more than 2GB of photos in one day and I have a spare 4GB card... (I know.. I'm an amateur ;))

What about... using some of my cash (£25-£50) and buying something slightly more expensive and funky?

What are these extension tube things? I've found some on Jessops... They look fun!

Thankyou for your advice, I shall investigate further online as it's better than doing any work :cool:

6. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

If you're planning on a major(ish) purchase from Jessops and putting some of your own cash towards it, make sure you're not overpaying by more than that £25 in vouchers, otherwise you may as well just buy the kit elsewhere and save the cash!

As for the printing, how about feeding your impatience? Put a batch in for 1 hour printing. Go and get a cuppa and a bun and 60 minutes later, Bob's ya Runcle!

If you want one of those hotshoe levels, PM me a postal address and I'll send one off to you - just drop a suitable donation in a suitable charity box in return.

7. Linux_Lady

[young and stupid]

Hot... shoe?

(I won't close that comment at the mo.. I have an idea I'll need it again soon!)

Are you a Jessops customer? 60 min printing... Hrm.. could get nails done this Sunday AND get stuff printed..

Nails.. and photos...

Nails .. AND photos..

That's looking like quite a tempting idea.. :eek:

8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That slot type thing on the top of your camera. Where the flash goes.

But don't buy onew from jessies, look around other places as you can get them for 99p sometimes!

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

And being as I'm also blonde... I can explain it in words you know ;)

(gonna be in trouble now)

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Or even given away with magazines and their websites...

11. Linux_Lady

I love you FenFen.. you explain stuff I can understand.. and now I feel I have learnt something today :)

I shall have to google that term and see what comes up :D

12. Garry McNamara

Garry McNamara Well-Known Member

Hell no, put another twenty five quid in from your own pocket and you can buy the whole company!

I was once given £20 worth of Music Discount Centre record tokens and now I'm their biggest share holder.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Paper? Ink? Something like that?

14. Linux_Lady

:rolleyes:

15. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Geddaroom!

16. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Methinks some tricksie person was having a bit of fun there editing my message.

Gonna pi$$ in his beer next time we meet up ;)

17. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Holly, if it helps, Jessies are in Belle Vue Way in Swansea.Cheers Dave ;) :D

18. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I'd spend them quick! If the Birmingham store 'sale' is anything to go by, the store looks as if it's closing (mind you it has been that way for a few months).

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you think it was me, think again. I would've, of course, but didn't this time...

20. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

Do Jessops do a price-matching thing that you can take advantage of? If you wanted a filter, I guess most people would say to get a circular polariser.