1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£20k 4 2 CDs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheFatControlleR, Dec 5, 2007.

1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

20,000 reward offered for discs

A reward of £20,000 is being offered for the return of two HM Revenue and Customs CDs containing the personal details of 25 million people.

Source: BBC News

WFT!!

The discs, while admittedly containing the data, are effectively worthless now, in terms of uniqueness) as they could easily be just one set among 1,000s of copies!

Presumably the reward is a ruse to discover who actually has them as opposed to physically retrieving and securing the data...

2. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

I'm sure criminals would pay more than that for them!

3. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Nah! They'll make a copy of a copy of a copy..... :rolleyes:

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Yeah, a backup copy just in case they lose them again :D

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

A few days ago it was reported they were rummaging around a rubbish dump for these CDs.

6. Tobiah

Tobiah Well-Known Member

i work for hm rev customs... its a joke lol... £20k is less than 1pence per name...

7. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

And I thought 380 EUR for an upgrade navigation DVD was expensive :eek:

8. Ellie527

Ellie527 Well-Known Member

Doesn't look as if they know much about copying discs, but it might be enough to get somebody to tell tales.

I saw that the discs were estimated reckoned to be worth about £1.5 million on the black market because one identity was worth "something in the order of £60". (BBC)

I wonder how much an insurance company would charge to insure against fraudulent use of the information?

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

60 x 25 million = (approx.) one aircraft carrier :eek:

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

now what shall I do with £1.5 billion........mmm might be able to afford a D3........

11. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

How did anybody know what they were, thats what I don't get.

12. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

probably stamped with OHMS :D
    or perhaps they were lightscribed......or even in a box with a nice inlay card marked "25 million identities for you to steal"..........

13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

In the newspaper yesterday there was a report that the disks contained both the real and new identities of folk on the witness protection programme. Didn't seem very sensible to make that public.

MickLL

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

increases the value to some people :eek:

15. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Quite.

I'm making arrangements to leave the country asap before you find out that I'm not really Mick but Clarence!. :);)

MickLL

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

...and I am Dolores (but only at the weekends )