Thread: Another elelction post - Boris and Mayors

Another elelction post - Boris and Mayors

Difficult to post this and stay away from dangerous waters.

I was interested to see that Boris beat Ken for the London Mayor. The interest is because, although it was a tight run race, Boris bucked the national trend to Labour.

I can only think that there was quite a backlash against Mr. Livingstone.

I also found it very interesting that most of the cities where the question was asked rejected the idea of a directly elected mayor.

MickLL

Re: Another elelction post - Boris and Mayors

Quote Originally Posted by MickLL View Post
    I also found it very interesting that most of the cities where the question was asked rejected the idea of a directly elected mayor.

MickLL
    Local Mayor. This option wasn't on offer to us in Milton Keynes.

Perhaps I'm sceptical, but I feel that the Government may have got the result that it really wanted. By raising the issue it got a tick in a box, and then, by not providing any funds, power stays in much the same place as before, but they can say that we've had our chance. I can't believe that the back-room political experts advising the government weren't aware of what happens when a cause isn't supported with cash, or real commitment.

On a similar theme, I can't recall having a vote about the major changes in local and regional government some decades ago when the unitary & similar authorities came in, and age old county boundaries were swept away. Some people did very well out of those changes, so perhaps as always - "Follow the money".
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Re: Another elelction post - Boris and Mayors

I wonder what would have been the outcome if they had asked...Boris, Ken or none?

Graeme
    AGW (BSRIPN)

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where others see nothing. (Camille Pissarro)