Thread: Hotel (non-)booking software

Hotel (non-)booking software

I guess this belongs here...

I've just tried to make an on-line reservation for B&B for a one night stay in two weeks time.

Pretty standard booking form - I put in my full name, address, phone etc. and select the starting date, and then select the duration of my stay. When I press the "Book now" button, the page gets returned with an error message, quoting ISO-8601, to the effect that for the departure date, I've put in just "5" for the month of May, instead of the internationally recognised "05" as per the ISO. Except that I'd done nothing of the sort - I picked the starting date of my stay from their drop down list, and selected the duration from their list, and their software did the calculation, but forgot to get the formatting correct. So, I gave it another try, but as expected, got the same error.

So I tried phoning their Help Desk. First off was the standard message inviting me to enter the reservation number for more information, and then after a few minutes a woman started talking very quickly in an Indian accent. I explained my problem, and she asked me for the booking reference number from the lower left of the on-line form. As I hadn't managed to book, there was no reference number on the form, and I couldn't get her to understand this. I tried explaining about the error message, but to no avail. Then she hung up on me.

Google was my friend - I entered the name of the establishment, and booked my night's stay via another website.

Crazy! Surely I can't have been the first person to come up against this fault?
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Re: Hotel (non-)booking software

I haven't had that particular problem, but I have had others. The biggest problem I find is that it is very easy to book the wrong hotel in the right place; especially if it is a popular destination such an an airport hotel.

The problem here seems to be that the search engines don't actually show the adress of the hotel, or don't show you what it looks like, so you only reasie your mistake when the taxi driver stops at the door.
    Nigel CRIPN and Bar

Beware of the Dark Slide