Thread: DPP - can you selact an area?

DPP - can you selact an area?

Just curious as to whether there's a tool in DPP analogous to Adobe's lassoo tool that lets you select an area to work on, or whether I go thus far, then convert and get stuck in with Elements?

Also, just in case I can't find it myself, how do I get the full list of tools to show in the tools menu? Is it under preferences?

Cheers,

Adrian
    All part of the fun of extreme vintage photography

You'll be amazed at the carp I've posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/

Re: DPP - can you selact an area?

Quote Originally Posted by gray1720 View Post
    Just curious as to whether there's a tool in DPP analogous to Adobe's lassoo tool that lets you select an area to work on, or whether I go thus far, then convert and get stuck in with Elements?

Also, just in case I can't find it myself, how do I get the full list of tools to show in the tools menu? Is it under preferences?

Cheers,

Adrian
    Not yet. The adjustments are on the whole image area although you can work on the colour palette - eg. work on blues using the picture style editor, which for some images would work selectively.

There are only two "tools" - the stamp tool which is a copy/paste that lets you clone areas, mend dust etc. - and the crop tool that allows image rotation and sizing.

The main window has 3 menus - one for raw adjsutments, one for curves which also works on jpgs and one for lens corrections and noise reduction.

if they added selective editing then that would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRob View Post
    There are only two "tools" - the stamp tool which is a copy/paste that lets you clone areas, mend dust etc. - and the crop tool that allows image rotation and sizing.
    Interesting... I could have sworn the first couple of times I fired it up I had a long list of tools... I wonder what on earth I was thinking of? Mind you, those two do work pretty well - easier than their PS equivalents.

Adrian
    All part of the fun of extreme vintage photography

You'll be amazed at the carp I've posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/

Quote Originally Posted by gray1720 View Post
    Interesting... I could have sworn the first couple of times I fired it up I had a long list of tools... I wonder what on earth I was thinking of? Mind you, those two do work pretty well - easier than their PS equivalents.

Adrian
    There are the quick check tool and batch processing tool too but these are not editing. Yes it is a good progam, especially if you have a series of similar shots where all corrections ( including copy/stamp and crop/rotate) can be applied to all. If they added the selective editing you were looking for then lightroom edit would have a close rival. I live in hope. Must check the new version supposed to sip with the 5D mk III is out yet. They had some problems with it I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRob View Post
    There are the quick check tool and batch processing tool too but these are not editing. Yes it is a good progam, especially if you have a series of similar shots where all corrections ( including copy/stamp and crop/rotate) can be applied to all. If they added the selective editing you were looking for then lightroom edit would have a close rival. I live in hope. Must check the new version supposed to sip with the 5D mk III is out yet. They had some problems with it I heard.
    Just checked the 5D page on Canon UK. New version was released April 10th for 5D mkIII and 1X plus a few new lenses and looks to have full backward compatibility. Version history says it has HDR tools and image combine. Sounds interesting.