Thread: Advice on shooting Dungeness

Advice on shooting Dungeness

I'm thinking of a trip to Dungeness to try a different style of photography, not really dabbled with seascapes or still life (old fishing boats).

Any advice on planning? I'll check tide times and the like. Anything else I need to consider?

Cheers

Gareth

Re: Advice on shooting Dungeness

It's a seriously exposed place and the weather can be really horrible

Details of subjects can be just as interesting as the bigger picture.

Consider long exposures of the water, but make sure camera is really stable.

Have fun...
    Graham

Graham isn't kidding - check the forecast and dress appropriately (with dry clothes in the car and a flask of something hot!).

I wouldn't worry too much about the tide - the beach is very steep, and once the water is off that you just get a little bit of featureless mud, not too photogenic. Take the heaviest tripod you can handle if you fancy long exposures because the wind can blow anything over.

Consider taking a lens for close-ups too - lots of weird and wonderful flotsam and jetsam, plus all manner of decaying junk.

Worth a look - the sound mirrors at Greatstone and Derek Jarman's garden.

ANy help?

Adrian
    All part of the fun of extreme vintage photography!

"They're all just cameras, and which one you choose is often a matter of historical accident and how rich you were feeling when you bought them." - Roger Hicks.

You'll be amazed at the carp I've posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/

I echo what's been said. Take some food and water. From memory there's nowhere to buy anything.

Try Googling some images from there. It's one of the most photographed places in Kent. You can almost guarantee that any exhibition/competition in this part of the world will have one or more Dungeness images. You will have to work very hard to get anything new.

OTOH there are some very interesting and quite rare plants to be found so if you are into botany it's worth a visit for that alone.

MickLL