Thread: Canon G series cameras problems

Canon G series cameras problems

Has anyone had problems with their Canon G series cameras?

So many new cameras of various brands are being brought out with design faults coming to light after they are released.

I am interested in getting the Canon G1X, but I have a G11 and the control dial on the back around the 4 way switch has stopped doing what it should. It either jumps, misses a menu item or doesn't do anything and it will cost 100 to get it fixed. Considering the cost and age of the camera, it is not worth it.

What problems have you had with your Canon G series cameras.

I had a G6 and that stopped working. But that might be due to being dropped on concrete.

Re: Canon G series cameras problems

Hi wheeliebug using the search facility, the only reference I can find to such an issue on this forum is your post http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?95837-Canon-G11-control-dial-problem&highlight=Canon+control+dial from earlier this year. FWIW my G9 dial is still tip-top.

https://www.facebook.com/Amateur.photographer.magazine
    Like AP on Facebook!
    Have an enquiry re AP? Contact AP http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/contact/.
    For issues concerning the forum/site build please contact the Online Manager > here <

Well if you don't want the G11

My G2 is still working well. I am a bit worried about the battery and the articulated screen is a bit lose - if I used it more I would attempt to sort both those out. Being rather older than yours I am not sure how much value this adds to knowledge of the longevity of the current models. The IBM disc drive that came with it died a long while ago.

Roger
    Edit: I have just been and taken a photo with it and it appears to be in GWO, apart possibly from the battery.
    Last edited by RogerMac; 22-04-2012 at 16:54.

I would reckon that it is worth spending 100 to repair a G11.
    Last edited by nimbus; 22-04-2012 at 17:52. Reason: typo

Although the control dial on my G11 is not working as it should, everything else on it works just fine. There is a way round most things that the control dial does so I still use it regularly with a few restrictions.

That is why I said it isn't worth spending 100 on on the repair.

My G6's control dial hasn't worked properly from about 6 months after I first got it from new. However it's getting worse with some very odd behaviour unless Tv mode is selected.
    I got a 60 quote from Lehmanns a year or two ago but haven't acted upon it and now I'm not sure it's worth it.

So far I have had a G3, G5, G7, G9 and currently a G11.

All have been used extensively in my day job (marine survey work), and they get knocked around a bit, but all have worked flawlessly for me.

There was an odd issue with the screen on my G5, where the top few lines were always black, but nothing else.

The G9 was noisy, and so was replaced with the G11 almost as soon as it came out. The G11 is by far the best as far as I am concerned, although I do miss being able to plug the charger into the camera! Having biggish fingers I also find it far too easy to push buttons by mistake.

I have never tried a G12, although from what I have heard there is very little difference to the G11.

I saw the new G1X in an airport duty free shop earlier this week. I liked the look and feel of it, (and that there was somewhere to put my thumb). I also like the promise of low noise at high ISO settings, but it seemed quite pricey at about 650, so I will probably wait a while.

Other than a Canon fax machine that was a bit 'iffy' I have never bought a dud Canon product yet.
    Nigel CRIPN and Bar

Beware of the Dark Slide

I've used a G9 extensively with no problems until it got smashed when I changed to a G12 which has taken hundreds, maybe thousands of photos over the last year with no problems. I always carry the G12 in my backpack so there's seldom a day that goes past without it being used. Once the G1X comes down in price as it will it'll be on the list to replace the 12.

Quote Originally Posted by velocette View Post
    I've used a G9 extensively with no problems until it got smashed when I changed to a G12 which has taken hundreds, maybe thousands of photos over the last year with no problems. I always carry the G12 in my backpack so there's seldom a day that goes past without it being used. Once the G1X comes down in price as it will it'll be on the list to replace the 12.
    The G1 X will have a much shallower depth of field than the G11 / G12, which might actually make it easier to use manual focus. It is slightly bigger and heavier than the G11, but not that much.
    Nigel CRIPN and Bar

Beware of the Dark Slide

G10 for over 3 years now......no problems whatsoever, amazing battery life. I love it and would recommend the G series to anyone wanting a good compact as either their main camera or to supplement their DSLR.
    Zak FRIPN

(Make mine a double)

Quote Originally Posted by nimbus View Post
    I would reckon that it is worth spending 100 to repair a G11.
    My G11 so far has been faultless, but I would spend 100 to mend it if necessary. What's the alternative? Any comparable replacement is going to cost a hell of a lot more than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Zak52 View Post
    G10 for over 3 years now......no problems whatsoever, amazing battery life. I love it and would recommend the G series to anyone wanting a good compact as either their main camera or to supplement their DSLR.
    Yep, agree fully with that.

My G11 became unresponsive ( zoom stopped, buttons on back nolonger had any effect ) in March, after only 1 year of use repair cost 175 for new 'flex connector' + recalibration .

Camera was kept in case and not dropped or roughly treated ! so yep costly & fragile