Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding Warning

Re: Wedding Warning

Is it just me... the article says "The photograph recording the moment they signed the marriage register is marred by a toy motorbike grasped in a disembodied hand that appears to be hovering behind them, thanks to a crude attempt to edit the bride’s nephew out of the picture. "

But having seen the picture (linked on the Daily Mail website), it looks to me like the kid is behind the curtain... Nothing 'disembodied' about it?!

Quote Originally Posted by NosamLuap View Post
    Is it just me... the article says "The photograph recording the moment they signed the marriage register is marred by a toy motorbike grasped in a disembodied hand that appears to be hovering behind them, thanks to a crude attempt to edit the bride’s nephew out of the picture. "

But having seen the picture (linked on the Daily Mail website), it looks to me like the kid is behind the curtain... Nothing 'disembodied' about it?!
    just bad timing....
    David
    -----------------------------------------------
    We are here to learn.
    Some things are relevant, some aren't...just rejoice in the fact that at least you seem to have the choice to decide which is which.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spinno1001 http://www.flickr.com/photos/spinno1001

Quote Originally Posted by NosamLuap View Post
    Given the afore mentioned paper I'm surprised that it wasn't described as the 'disembodied arm of the child of illegal immigrants.'
    "Wrong on so many different levels."

Blog - Contre Dour http://www.contredour.com - Capturing the ordinary for posterity.

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/barneyallen/

Quote Originally Posted by NosamLuap

Looking at that photo I find a rational explanation for the whole thing.....that photo isn't too bad dismebodied hand aside but then they get progressively worse as the reception goes on..

The moral of this tale is: "If you are so mean that you pay your wedding photographers the bare minimum- don't be too surprised when they make up for it by draining the free bar dry"
    "I am the very model of an amateur photographer"

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Given the afore mentioned paper I'm surprised that it wasn't described as the 'disembodied arm of the child of illegal immigrants.'
    Chortle!

Quote Originally Posted by Benchista View Post
    I do actually struggle to see how anbody could take such bad pictures. These are the mistakes of absolute beginners, surely?
    Yes, but he's got a good camera

Quote Originally Posted by nimbus View Post
    Yes, but he's got a good camera
    A case of "all the gear and no Idea"

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    A case of "all the gear and no Idea"
    you talking to me....
    David
    We are here to learn.
    Some things are relevant, some aren't...just rejoice in the fact that at least you seem to have the choice to decide which is which.

Quote Originally Posted by spinno View Post
    you talking to me....
    No, myself....

Well I am an old git!

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    No, myself....

Well I am an old git!
    I didn't disagree with you....
    David
    We are here to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by spinno View Post
    I didn't disagree with you....
    Git!

South and east of where I was but going west

This story came across my radar earlier last week and, interestingly, now seems to have been pulled from both Times and D.Mail sites as it didn't come up in my searches.

Would like to know more of the exact details. Anyone got a cast-iron link?

For info:
    Total no. of weddings in UK - despite 1 or 2 recoveries - has been in decline for many years, so doing 5 a week, even just handing over pics on disc, would be difficult.

Some Phogs charge as little as £150 to £200 and do just that = handover pics on disc for couple to do prints, album, dupes for family, etc.

Quite a few weddings in UK are photo'd for free

Some couples pay more for car hire than photography

Fees chargeable vary a lot:
    At high end - £10k to £15k or more
    Would expect average to be around £1000 to £1200 at present.

Depends where and how you operate, what sort of clients you choose to work for, etc., as to how much money you make.

There is still a high season - less compressed than 25-40 years ago thanks to fashion changes - and busy wedding & portrait operations may use stringers/part-timers/inexperienced photographers to cover these.

Things can and do go wrong on any photo shoot, let alone weddings, (could tell lots of stories) but being a pro is having ability to salvage the job {having good back-up capabilities for a start} and come up with the goods. Even so, sometimes the cruellest freak events do occur. The wise solo operator/studio carries indemnity insurance just for those occasions.

Google keeps archives of pages I believe.
    "The camera is just the beginning..." see my portfolios on 500px http://500px.com/PhotomanBrian and Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomanbrian/

Quote Originally Posted by 0lybacker View Post
    This story came across my radar earlier last week and, interestingly, now seems to have been pulled from both Times and D.Mail sites as it didn't come up in my searches.

Would like to know more of the exact details. Anyone got a cast-iron link?
    Frank1's link in post #5 works.

South and east of where I was but going west

Quote Originally Posted by beatnik69 View Post
    Frank1's link in post #5 works.
    Ta! Tried again and it did, too, for me. Even searches of both papers didn't reveal the articles but I think yesterday may have been a bad internet day.

Didn't think much of DM journalism. No questions like 'How long have you been covering weddings?' 'How many have you photographed?' 'What photographic experience did you have before starting in the wedding business?' 'Were you fully familiar with the cameras you were using?' Perhaps the Mail should have asked one of their staffers to interview the photographers. Didn't think much of (their own?) shot of venue.

But that said, a quick look at pictures reveal they were probably trying to shoot on 'available' and auto (A or P - you can get away with S rather better), shooting on auto being a risky way of operating at a wedding.

That rather suggests to me that this couple were fairly new to the business without much photographic expertise at all. Perhaps led into it all by paying a fee to attend some wedding seminars which made them think it was all a breeze ...
    ... when what they needed was the right back-up: 'He said one of their cameras broke and rather than give the couple half the number of pictures they offered them all of them.'

Quote Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
    To a certain extent this is a "pay peanuts, hire monkeys" situation is it not? £750 must be at the very low end of wedding photo services

I can't remember the exact figure, but we paid around the £800 mark for our wedding photographer. We had a pre wedding shoot in his studio and he very kindly took some shots of our 8 month old daughter too. We got four prints from this shoot. Then he did the wedding and the wedding breakfast. We got an album with around 30 prints in it. The photos were brilliant, and the album was top notch.

The package we had was the bottom package on offer (we were pon a tight budget) the other packages were something like £1000 and £1500 I think.

Maybe we just got lucky.

I think our photographer stopped doing this package not long after our wedding, so I guess it wasn't worth their time.

Can't see the problem myself The last lot of shots that were billed as the worst ever had heads cut off and a bloke in a yellow duck costume walking past behind. Remember them?
    Mike

My flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rovingmike/sets/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/rovingmike/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan1980 View Post
    I can't remember the exact figure, but we paid around the £800 mark for our wedding photographer. We had a pre wedding shoot in his studio and he very kindly took some shots of our 8 month old daughter too. We got four prints from this shoot. Then he did the wedding and the wedding breakfast. We got an album with around 30 prints in it. The photos were brilliant, and the album was top notch.

The package we had was the bottom package on offer (we were pon a tight budget) the other packages were something like £1000 and £1500 I think.

Maybe we just got lucky.

I think our photographer stopped doing this package not long after our wedding, so I guess it wasn't worth their time.
    You were lucky there - it's good to hear that it didn't go pear shaped.
    The big problem is that new 'togs look at a figure and think 'yeah, that's a good wodge of cash', which £750 is.
    They don't think of the time involved, and when they do a shoot (as in your case) they soon realise that they're not going to be able to afford anything decent to eat that week, as all the costs and time involved mean they could do better working for McDonalds.

You thankfully had a good 'tog who did the work properly, and only later decided that it was no longer economical - but that's his problem not yours, so there was no way that he should have skimped on what he provided, and the upshot of this is that you're likely to use them again.

We all know the cost of gear, especially with stuff like the D800 and D4 coming out; and just because someone likes photography, they don't appreciate that in a few years time they are likely to have to repurchase, as consumers tend to want the latest and greatest, never mind the 12 inches behind the camera.

The skills shown here of course were abysmal, I've seen it before (including friends and family) where someone thinks they can do the job, and it's a hell of a task persuading them that they should avoid this profession like the plague until they are very good.

I just wish the wedding couples would sit down for more than 5 minutes and think about how they are going to remember their special day.......
    If a poor man will spend a year in prison for stealing out of hunger, how high would the gallows need to be to hang the rich man who breaks the law out of greed?....Terry Pratchett, Snuff

Not sue why they picked on the disembodied hand photo, sure that could have been edited / cropped out - but it was by a long way not the worst photo. If you look at pics straight out of the cam you often notice some issues - that can be fixed post processing, but missing heads, blurry and out of focus is a non starter.

Shame for the couple but did they check references etc before hand.
    Be yourself you know its true and in the end whats left is you.....