Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone received their OM-Ds yet?

Anyone received their OM-Ds yet?

I placed an order at the Focus on Imaging with Jacobs, but haven't heard anything yet. Seems that some dealers are beginning to supply, based on reports on the Olly Uk E-system website ... Going on holiday from the 4th of May, so hoping mine will have arrived by then!

Re: Anyone received their OM-Ds yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Footloose_returns View Post
    I placed an order at the Focus on Imaging with Jacobs, but haven't heard anything yet. Seems that some dealers are beginning to supply, based on reports on the Olly Uk E-system website ... Going on holiday from the 4th of May, so hoping mine will have arrived by then!
    Perhaps someone else - I am not usually an early adopter and anyway I am not sure how much value it would add to an E5 plus Pen combination, so am still undecided.

Roger

I'd love one, seems like a perfect replacement for my GH1, but I wouldn't get anywhere near enough for the GH1 to make it viable at the moment.
    Thanks

Nick

Just received automated message from jacobs, reckon delivery will be mid May ... which is a pain, as I would have loved to have taken the camera on holiday with me. ... Have notified them of my return date and that I still want one, but will be on holiday and to e-mail me rather than phone.

Have notified them of my return date and that I still want one, but will be on holiday and to e-mail me rather than phone.
    OK, now you've told the local burglars when it's open season at your residence.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

I love how some of the old OM users are lapping this camera up like a dog that's missing its master's leg. It's just a cruse marketing ploy it doesn't even come with an OM adapter out of the box.
    Al

[Insert clever comment here]

Quote Originally Posted by AJUK View Post
    I love how some of the old OM users are lapping this camera up like a dog that's missing its master's leg. It's just a cruse marketing ploy it doesn't even come with an OM adapter out of the box.
    Every camera release is a marketing ploy. Whether it is crude or depends upon whether one likes the result. Personally I do like this release, I gather you do not but fortunately this is a free society where you will not be compelled to buy one.

Roger

Seems you don't like anything much

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
    Every camera release is a marketing ploy. Whether it is crude or depends upon whether one likes the result. Personally I do like this release, I gather you do not but fortunately this is a free society where you will not be compelled to buy one.

Roger
    There's no need to be obtuse, I'm perfectly aware I don't have to buy one. I don't seem to remember saying it wasn't a free society but in a free society people are free to complain about things.
    People obviously missed that I may have been trying to be humorous in what I said.
    However if people were getting excited because this is a great camera, then fair enough, it probably is. However I don't see why everybody is getting excited like Olympus have actually released a digital OM because it just isn't.
    Last edited by AJUK; 22-04-2012 at 23:01.
    Al

[Insert clever comment here]

There's no need to be obtuse, I'm perfectly aware I don't have to buy one. I don't seem to remember saying it wasn't a free society but in a free society people are free to complain about things.
    People obviously missed that I may have been trying to be humorous in what I said.
    However if people were getting excited because this is a great camera, then fair enough, it probably is. However I don't see why everybody is getting excited like Olympus have actually released a digital OM because it just isn't.
    If your complaint is just about the name it might be sensible to start a separate thread on the subject, rather than hi-jacking a thread on delivery.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
    If your complaint is just about the name it might be sensible to start a separate thread on the subject
    IIRC there already is one 8-P
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee View Post
    IIRC there already is one 8-P
    I was giving AJUK the benefit of the doubt , in case he had not spotted it.

Roger

No, it's not a digital OM, or in literal terms, anything like it, nor does it really look like one. What it is is quite a nice little camera that has a reasonable EVF (I don't think there's such a thing as a really good EVF, but this one is more usable than most) and produces rather good image quality - excellent for the format. In that sense, it's sort of a digital OM - it provides respectable quality in a small body. It's probably closer in spirit to a digital Pen F than an OM, to be honest, but Olympus have already used that one.

Personally, I do find calling it an OM somewhat crude and cynical, but look past that and it's probably the best 4/3 or micro 4/3 camera yet in terms of quality and compactness.
    Nick

"Photography is lies" - Bailey
    "Few artists are much more than halfway sane" - Roger Hicks

The Blog is (coming) back http://www.nbrphoto.net/blog/

Yesterday I received a call from Jacobs and this afternoon the OM-D (Black) body I ordered at Focus arrived. For those waiting as well this was order no 157. A digital OM it might not be, but Yoshihisa Maitani who designed the half-frame Olympus Pen died in 2009 just a month after the digital PEN appeared and I would not be surprised if he was in the process of drawing this up. It has his DNA all over it. Therefore, Olly's naming of this model, stands as a very fitting tribute to him. Those bemoaning it's not FF, should look at the size of other FF's, and it's all too obvious that a digital version would have been considerably bigger than the original OM, and if it had appeared, they would then be moaning EVEN more, because it's not as compact as the OM, so whatever they could have done, Olly still wouldn't have satisfied the die-hards!

Life is full of compromises, so just stop grumbling and make the most of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Footloose_returns View Post
    Yesterday I received a call from Jacobs and this afternoon the OM-D (Black) body I ordered at Focus arrived. For those waiting as well this was order no 157. A digital OM it might not be, but Yoshihisa Maitani who designed the half-frame Olympus Pen died in 2009 just a month after the digital PEN appeared and I would not be surprised if he was in the process of drawing this up. It has his DNA all over it. Therefore, Olly's naming of this model, stands as a very fitting tribute to him. Those bemoaning it's not FF, should look at the size of other FF's, and it's all too obvious that a digital version would have been considerably bigger than the original OM, and if it had appeared, they would then be moaning EVEN more, because it's not as compact as the OM, so whatever they could have done, Olly still wouldn't have satisfied the die-hards!

Life is full of compromises, so just stop grumbling and make the most of it!
    That's great I look forward to hearing your impressions of it in real life situations

Roger

Cool Re: Anyone received their OM-Ds yet?

Just got an email from B&H that my E-M5 will be delivered Monday, May 7!!
    I have to reschedule an out-of-town shoot of a friend now, no way I an NOT being home when it's delivered. Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Pre-Ordered Mach 9th.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/69251914@N06 - 500px http://500px.com/PeterArbib - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Resource Blog http://omdem5.wordpress.com/about/
    Husband, Dad, Photographer, Blogger ^^^^^^^

I has been slow around here.... No one received it yet?
    I get mine Tomorrow (Mon: 5-7-2012)
    So Antzy, I am driving my wife crazy with anticipation.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/69251914@N06 - 500px http://500px.com/PeterArbib - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Resource Blog http://omdem5.wordpress.com/about/
    Husband, Dad, Photographer, Blogger ^^^^^^^

Talking Re: Anyone received their OM-Ds yet?

Hello,

I'm A newbie in these forums and this is my first post here. I have been using the om2n since 1979, back in those days my eyesight was shall I say pretty good even though I did wear glasses.

I had 3 bodies in the form of the om2n with a variety of lenses from the OM system and also from Tamron and vivitar.

Now when auto focus was all the fuss I got myself a minolta 700si and later the 7000i....which later made me decide to follow up with Sony ...in the shape of the slt.

Why slt because of the evf, I know the virtues of ovf but with my eyesight going south I do find the evf with all the layering much more easy to use....was quite happy with the Sony system until I tried the ep1..... That was it, my slt sits in the dry cupboard with the oms and minoltas....now I've got the ep2 and yes my latest the em5.

The em5 is actually smaller then the om2n and I must say that the evf is better then the slt...and yes the 5 axis stabilization is just fantastic....this camera fits people with small digits to a T...just like the pen series.

The beautiful part of it all is that apart fro some new lens .... Primarily for me (45 1.8 and 20 1.7) mm older OM lenses are getting some exercises too. The pen were not so ok with the legacy lenses due to the design... The omd with the horizontal grip feels very much like my old OM.

Well, I'm very happy with the omd and am looking forward for some fast zooms....must start saving now.

Thanks for listening to this old foggie.

Michael

Hi and welcome to the forum, always nice to see a new new member here. I have not yet got an OM-D myself yet but it certainly seem to be very popular camera. I expect that in the fullness of time I will add one to my collection.

Do not hesitate to contribute to both this and also other parts of the forum, and we look forward to hearing your views.

Roger

Roger,

Thank you indeed for the warm welcome. Yes, the omd is indeed in popular demand now....so far I have not found any detrimental faults that can be a perpectual irritation.

But it is early days and I need to use it more often...one thing that surprised me is that the images at iso 6400 is so acceptable. I love my OM lenses and the omd pairs with them (balance/weight wise) beautifully. So Roger what cameras are in your arsenal now...

Michael