Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are cashew nuts bad for you?

Are cashew nuts bad for you?

Well are they?

I want you to say they're not because, I've just eaten a hell of a lot of them, despite crit from my significant other

Seriously I keep hearing differnent stories about the health advantages/disadvantages of such nuts

Willie
    Willie

"Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important. "

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Re: Are cashew nuts bad for you?

All things in moderation mate. Nuts can be extremely good for you but they are usually very high in calories

But Dave, I love these particular nuts

Seriously though. I keep hearing about nuts being lethal, and also nuts being really good for you. I just don't know whether I should avoid them or stuff my face with them

Willie
    Willie

"Photography has not changed since its origin except in its technical aspects, which for me are not important. "

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Don't avoid them but don't pig out either.

All nuts are possibly lethal if you had a nut allergy. Which you obviously don't.... hell of a way to find out. lol

They are quite high in calories but also in Monounsaturated fats that are good for your heart. And I didn't know they came from apples!
    http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=98

Unsalted ones would be better. My parrot likes about half a dozen a day - not sure if that is excessive but I hear about it if he doesn't get them!

Quote Originally Posted by willie45 View Post
    Seriously though. I keep hearing about nuts being lethal, and also nuts being really good for you. I just don't know whether I should avoid them or stuff my face with them
    Willie you would only have a problem if you have or were to get a general nut allergy, I eat Cashews including Cashew Nut butter because I have a Peanut allergy, most likely caused through eating too many Peanuts, eating Peanut Butter by the Jar and using Groundnut (Peanut) Oil for cooking/stir frying with. As others have said, moderation is the key, try to find a middle ground
    Ron BSRIPN
    Life is a Learning Opportunity
    My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/ron9001

The salt on them is claimed to be bad for you.

Trouble is if you ate none of the things said to be bad for you you'd be left with a small selection of things remaining that were supposedly good, then you'd suffer from malnutrition. Answer eat a balanced diet including things you like. We all have things we like and others we won't eat. I won't eat anything containing dessicated coconut.

Tell him they'll kill him, then there'll be more for us

Regards, Mike
    "The fate of all mankind, I fear, is in the hands of fools"

Thanks folks. Good link Alex. I don't fancy that cashew resin much

I suspect the limits of my knowledge of cashews come from and episode of "Frasier" where he doesn't advertise nuts on the grounds they are full of fat and covered in salt. IIRC these are peanuts though.

I know the salt and calories are not good things but was really curious about nut fat. Seems the consensus here is the fat is a good thing. Bring them on!!

Willie
    Willie

Henri Cartier-Bresson

I much prefer peanuts - or any other variety of nut except pistachio - to cashew.

There is no issue with nuts as part of a balanced diet, unless you happen to be allergic - and, despite the scare stories, not many people are. Living on a pure nut diet might not be advisable but it probably wouldn't kill you even in the long term, unless you ate far too much or far too little, nuts are a good source of essential fats, protein, essential vitamins and minerals. Raw unsalted nuts are preferable to salted / roasted nuts for a variety of reasons.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

You can also get unsalted roasted cashews which may help to wean you off the salted variety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
    They are quite high in calories but also in Monounsaturated fats that are good for your heart. And I didn't know they came from apples!

Unsalted ones would be better. My parrot likes about half a dozen a day - not sure if that is excessive but I hear about it if he doesn't get them!
    LOL and I wanted a parrot

An excess of pretty much is going to be bad for you, including water and oxygen.

South and east of where I was but going west

Quote Originally Posted by willie45 View Post
    Well are they?

I want you to say they're not because, I've just eaten a hell of a lot of them, despite crit from my significant other

Seriously I keep hearing differnent stories about the health advantages/disadvantages of such nuts

Willie
    The last few times I've looked at bags of the things in a well-known chain of 'health emporia' (as well as the supermarket) I have felt immediately slightly ill ...

... as I have realised what the price of cashews is going to do to my bank balance at current rates if I buy them.

They are actually one of the best nuts to eat from a variety of dietetic viewpoints and used to enjoy them as a kid when they were cheaper than most other nuts.

PS. Try to stay away from the salted varieties. Nice. Addictive. But definitely bad for you in large quantities, irrespective of price.

South and east of where I was but going west

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
    Well! Having just read the above, it looks like everything my old Mum told me was right. Now, there's a thing!

Where the demons dwell, and the banshees live, and they do live well

Cashew butter on Ryvita tastes great and makes a good, nutritious snack (whilst not being too 'hair shirt'!)
    Al (IRIPN)

"Give a poor man a gun and he can rob a bank.
    Give a poor man a bank and he can rob everyone."

Anon (Heard on the radio!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smart4lec/

Like anything else in moderation (and preferably unsalted- the only salted nuts I like are peanuts- which incidentally aren't nuts at all) nuts are fine as a part of a balanced diet. I think there's good and bad in everything we eat- today I stopped off at my local cafe for a milkshake and poached eggs on toast with a splash of ketchup. Milkshake- high in sugar but also a bloody good source of protein and calcium (the latter being especially important when you're a 54 year old woman). Poached eggs- eggs are a good source of protein, iron and even a bit more calcium and not fried. Toast some fibre some calcium some iron. Tomato ketchup- bit heavy in sugar (but I only had a splash) but a source of lycoprene

Oh and as I just had a nasty hour or so doing some various odds and ends, despite the start of hay fever making me feel dreadful the psychological benefits of sitting down, destressing and letting the World go by may not be nutritional but certainly lifted my wood

certainly lifted my wood
    MOOD! Before you get any stranger than usual ideas

I like the unsalted raw cashew nuts. Too much I think judging by my weight

Whistles "if you go down to the woods today"