Thread: Saturday evening telly .. do we really need another talent show?

Saturday evening telly .. do we really need another talent show?

The vacuous holocaust of broadcasting schedules known as Saturday evening television viewing is to be joined by yet another talent show, this one to be called The Voice.

Yes, it may well be different (it would have to be) but do we really need another nobody's-got-any-talent show on Saturday evening (or any other evening for that matter)?

Saturday evenings these days are often spent catching up on DVDs .. we've a load of films we've not watched yet, so that's when we choose to view them. At least the talent is a given and there's no OTT audience noise to contend with!
    Rupert

I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realise what you heard is not what I meant

Re: Saturday evening telly .. do we really need another talent s

It's cheap TV, it's the 'variety' of its day (but cheaper than booking established act, no matter how good/poor), and it's cheap. Did I mention how cheap this kind of TV is?

It's a rare day if I actually sit down to view any TV as it's broadcast. I grab the occasional prog/series from the iPlayer over night and watch them as and when.

Although you may rest assured none of it is the cheap 'new variety' shows. Recently watched include; The Singing Detective back-to-back over two nights, Dirk Gently over one, and waiting for White Heat to finish in the schedules/download to watch all together.
    TheFatControlleR
    Resident Cynic

'But above all, he should be taught to yield to the truth, and to lay down his arms as soon as he discovers it, whether it appears in his opponents argument, or to himself in his own thoughts.' - Michel de Montaigne (on the education of children)

'Everybody is in favour of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled. But some people’s idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage.' - Winston Churchill

'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC

Short answer NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert49 View Post
    The vacuous holocaust of broadcasting schedules known as Saturday evening television viewing is to be joined by yet another talent show, this one to be called The Voice.
    Tell you what, that nice Simon Cowell fellow and ITV have brought forward their talentless programme as well to go head to head with the BBC programme.

Oh you lucky lucky person to have such great viewing.
    - Fenris Oswin - Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
    - My website - http://www.fenrisoswin.com
    - My flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise - Margaret Atwood

The only one I watch is young Musician of the year.

But it hardly registers as a "talent" show.
    69 happy photo years from amateur to professional and back. Caught the bug Young.

Cool Re: Saturday evening telly .. do we really need another talent s

One I did watch, but again, hardly a 'talent' show as we're discussing, was Goldie's Band last year.
    TheFatControlleR
    Resident Cynic

'But above all, he should be taught to yield to the truth, and to lay down his arms as soon as he discovers it, whether it appears in his opponents argument, or to himself in his own thoughts.' - Michel de Montaigne (on the education of children)

'Everybody is in favour of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled. But some people’s idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage.' - Winston Churchill

Why not combine two over-egged themes: Talent and cookery shows, where any failure in a talent contest is immediately sentenced to be to be broiled or baked with a side order of shlock. Step forward the worst voice in recent years: Alexander Burke - all volume and no quality.
    Mike.
    That's all very well but what does Ken Rockwell have to say on the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    Why not combine two over-egged themes: Talent and cookery shows, where any failure in a talent contest is immediately sentenced to be to be broiled or baked with a side order of shlock. Step forward the worst voice in recent years: Alexander Burke - all volume and no quality.
    She may even be Alexandra. . . . but then again, who really cares?
    Mike.
    That's all very well but what does Ken Rockwell have to say on the matter?

Saturday evening telly is absolute cr*p, there is nothing remotely intelligent to watch.
    Roy

You can't please everybody, so you have to please yourself

http://royscollages.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roy5051 View Post
    Saturday evening telly is absolute cr*p, there is nothing remotely intelligent to watch.
    I don't think that we are meant to watch television on Saturday evening. Acceptable ways of spending the evening are numerous and range from going to the opera or getting totally smashed in a downmarket club. My own choice would be to go out with friends for a good meal. Television is irrelevant on Saturday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy5051 View Post
    To be fair Harry Hill's TV Burp's quite fun, and gives me a round up of the week's viewing and reassures me that I didn't miss anything ;-)
    Garry
    ~~~
    Now constant dayshift. Was a storeman, now a part-time degreaser too...and yet still: If only photography were higher up the pecking order ;-)

No, we definitely don't need any more, but if these do eventually become less popular, what the hell (and it probably will be!) what format of programme would they replace them with?!! .... Remember it's got to be cheap to set up and run, plus generate an income .... Ah! it's already some around, Roulette and Poker playing programmes!!

For me, Tom Jones is The Voice, so I'll gladly put up with the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFatControlleR View Post
    It's cheap TV.
    It cost £22 million.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
    It cost £22 million.
    Well George Osborne thinks 100 million isnt worth the effort.

Graeme
    AGW (BSRIPN)

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where others see nothing. (Camille Pissarro)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
    It cost £22 million.
    What cost £22m, The Voice?

Presumably there's a phone in, syndication, fees RE the winner, etc., etc. All returning revenue. Don't get all that on a mere drama production.

Like I said, cheap TV.
    TheFatControlleR
    Resident Cynic