Thread: Cleaning Lenes..

Hybrid View

Cleaning Lenes..

I have not needed to do a lens clean yet but I will in due course, so a couple of questions please..

What do you use to clean lens and filters and how often should you do it.. as a rule of thumb.

Cheers

Re: Cleaning Lenes..

What do you use to clean lens and filters and how often should you do it.. as a rule of thumb.
    Blower brush is usually more than sufficient. For really bad cases (second hand lenses) the stuff you paint onto the lens surface then peel off taking the dirt with it is the only thing I'd use. Front surface mirrors should never be touched with anything.

Shouldn't need to clean lens surfaces more often than once in a blue moon. Use a good quality UV/protective filter so you are cleaning something which is easily replaceable ... you will be tempted to wipe with a mucky rag when it gets rained on and dirt particles will scratch the surface.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Clean only when necessary. Dust should blow off with a blower brush or rocket blower. Some will say always use a protection filter, others that they degrade the image. I know one thing, I would rather buy a secondhand lens that has been used with a filter than one that hasn't. Deeper cleaning should only be carried out if needed, one method is to first blow off all debris, then clean with lens cleaner and finally lens tissue, blowing any fibres off to finish, note if you do this to use the cleaner on a clean lens cloth, never drop it onto the lens surface. Obviously if the lens has a protection filter which is never removed it is the relatively cheap filter that you clean. If the lens is being used where there are children the filter is advisable, fingers and lenses seem to have a magnetic attraction for each other!

I use those moist towelette, eyeglass, glasses cleaners when it is more than just dust. Lenses are tools that we use and they do occasionally get fingerprints on them(either someone else's or your own). These are not priceless Picasso paintings....Shite happens. Of course there is no "schedule" for lens cleaning....that would be silly. You clean them only when they need it and the level of cleaning depends on the type of foreign matter on there.
    Does the picture turn out differently than what you see in the viewfinder?

I do have lens filters on and I have a lens brush which is very soft but a blower brush I have never heard of.
    Where would I but one of these..

I use a "Pentax" multi purpose washable micro lens cloth. Costs about 5. But as has been said only do it when really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee View Post
    Shouldn't need to clean lens surfaces more often than once in a blue moon. Use a good quality UV/protective filter so you are cleaning something which is easily replaceable ... you will be tempted to wipe with a mucky rag when it gets rained on and dirt particles will scratch the surface.
    Funny, but none of the pros I know do any of those things.

I blow the front element of my lenses clean with a Rocket blower at the start of the shoot. Anything left I wipe off gently with a micro fibre cloth.

I don't use filters, they're a waste of money, do nothing for image quality and whether they offer any protection to the front element is a moot point.

As Swiss Tony might say, using lenses is very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Though they may look lovely, they're pretty tough so don't be afraid to get them wet or dirty. You need to treat them with respect, but you'll never get the best out of them if you wrap them up in cotton wool.

"Wrong on so many different levels."

Blog - Contre Dour http://www.contredour.com - Capturing the ordinary for posterity.

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/barneyallen/