Thread: Next lens after Kit lens.

Next lens after Kit lens.

hi

i have not long been doing photography and have not bought a second lens for my 550d yet. i have a tripod and carry satchel but i now want to get another lens to increase my scope of photography.

im in two minds at the moment. as i have read reviews etc about lenses everywhere and there is good and bad for everything. so i thought id get the opinion of some of the guys who have used them.

im pretty sure i want to get the 50mm canon prime 1.8f lens as i have not heard a bad thing said about this lens and think it will be ideal for portraits.

but i cant decide between the canon 55-250mm IS 4.0-5.6 lens or pay the extra and get a Tamron 75-300mm VC USD lens. the silent drive is not a massive issue if it was not there. but is there much different in picture quality etc etc any body used either or both these lenses who could comment?

Re: Next lens after Kit lens.

I'll say something bad about the 50mm, it feels flimsy and cheap. I'll add that it is excellent optically and if treated carefully will last reasonably well. With regard to the longer zoom, are you wanting the extra range of the Tamron? I think both these lenses will deteriorate in performance as you zoom to the longest setting, it is a characteristic of most telezooms, even more expensive models.

ill be honest and say i never used either lens so dont know how much 50mm will lose me.

i just want an all purpose telephoto lens which i will upgrade to a more expensive lens in the future when i have got a better technique.

It partly depends on the type of subject that you intend to shoot. If you indicate this it should be easier to help you decide.

I would like something that can be used for wildlife and sports, but nothing massive like packs of lions in the wild.

My second lens (Which I've had a lot of use out of) was a 55/200 zoom
    "I am the very model of an amateur photographer"

Quote Originally Posted by phinster555 View Post
    I would like something that can be used for wildlife and sports, but nothing massive like packs of lions in the wild.
    You would probably be better with a longer lens then, in other words something that will reach out to 300mm, but not necessarily the Tamron. I'm not really au fait with what is currently available and the relative performances, my long lenses are an old Tokina 80-400 and an Olympus 4/3 70-300. But I am sure somebody on here will be!

You can definitely do without the 50mm prime, though it's a nice lens to have around if you ever need to work in very dim natural light.

The EF-S 55-250 IS 4.0-5.6 lens is a real bargain, it's excellent for its price level and in fact works at least as well as many lenses with much bigger price tags. There's not much difference between the reach of 250mm and 300mm lenses and a sharp 250mm is going to work better than an iffy 300mm. Definitely reccomended unless you can stretch to the EF 70-200mm f/4 L (with or without IS: better with unless you almost always use a tripod) which is a tad sharper but doesn't have quite the reach and is a very great deal more expensive.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee View Post
    You can definitely do without the 50mm prime, though it's a nice lens to have around if you ever need to work in very dim natural light.

The EF-S 55-250 IS 4.0-5.6 lens is a real bargain, it's excellent for its price level and in fact works at least as well as many lenses with much bigger price tags. There's not much difference between the reach of 250mm and 300mm lenses and a sharp 250mm is going to work better than an iffy 300mm. Definitely reccomended unless you can stretch to the EF 70-200mm f/4 L (with or without IS: better with unless you almost always use a tripod) which is a tad sharper but doesn't have quite the reach and is a very great deal more expensive.

The 70-200 f4L IS is an investment to consider as this is a most useful range on full frame should you eventually go there. On a 550 gives the field of view of a 110-320 which is too narrow at the short end (which is why the EF-S starts at 55) but at the long end is certainly useful for wildlife, zoos etc. Wildlife that is "small", like birds, is very demanding. A 250 or 300 mm focal length lens on the 550 (eqivalent fov 480) takes you into the right territory but a dedicated prime will be better than using a zoom at the long end. Others will probably disagree but I think general usage of a long zoom is mostly at the short to mid range and then full out with little use in the mid to long.

Others will probably disagree but I think general usage of a long zoom is mostly at the short to mid range and then full out with little use in the mid to long.
    Ideally, yes, but most people get lazy and assume that an "up to 300" zoom means that there's no point in carrying a 300mm prime, and in practise the 400mm prime often gets left at home too once you've felt its weight in your bag a few times.

Fact of the matter is, the tele end of the EF-S 55-250 is pretty good as such things go, and it's cheap enough that buying one won't delay the purchase of a 400mm prime for long, if you really need the pulling power. Modern cameras are so sensitive that the f/5.6 maximum aperture is not much of a handicap provided the light is halfway reasonable.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Thankyou for the comments.

From what has been said the general jist is, go for the 55-250mm IS canon lens over the tamron 75-300mm USD as it is a good lens for the price

Currently cant afford a L lens but that is only because im just starting out and want to get the gear so i can take a wide range of photos in various aspects and focus on my technique then when im more advanced i will upgrade based on my prefered style of photography etc.

about right?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRob View Post
    The 70-200 f4L IS is an investment to consider as this is a most useful range on full frame should you eventually go there. On a 550 gives the field of view of a 110-320 which is too narrow at the short end (which is why the EF-S starts at 55) but at the long end is certainly useful for wildlife, zoos etc. Wildlife that is "small", like birds, is very demanding. A 250 or 300 mm focal length lens on the 550 (eqivalent fov 480) takes you into the right territory but a dedicated prime will be better than using a zoom at the long end. Others will probably disagree but I think general usage of a long zoom is mostly at the short to mid range and then full out with little use in the mid to long.
    Yes, I would strongly disagree. I was shooting quite a bit yesterday with my 70-300 on APS-C - a fair bit at 70-100, then mostly 200-300. My 70-200 f4 IS L is almost completely unused these days, as I find the focal length range way too limiting on APS-C, and ridiculously so on full frame. Instead, I use thee 70-300 L, which is at least as good as the shorter lens but a lot more versatile.
    Nick

"Photography is lies" - Bailey
    "Few artists are much more than halfway sane" - Roger Hicks

The Blog is (coming) back http://www.nbrphoto.net/blog/

The second lens I bought for my Nikon D3000 was a 55-200 zoom and I rarely use it. Basically it's turned out to be a complete waste of money (it only cost 120 GBP from the Nikon outlet shop though). When I bought it, I don't think I had a clear idea why I needed it so it ended up gathering dust. A while later I bought the 35/1.8 prime lens. But this time before buying it, I fully considered why I needed it and why my kit lens wasn't doing the job (low light and indoor, narrow depth of field etc.). Now the 35/1.8 is rarely off my camera.

You didn't give a clear reason why you needed a telephoto zoom in your first post so my advice is don't buy anything until you're sure you need it. And forking out for a L series lens when you are still new to photography is madness in my opinion .
    My favourite images usually end up here http://monkeybrainsushi.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yebisu
    The second lens I bought for my Nikon D3000 was a 55-200 zoom and I rarely use it. Basically it's turned out to be a complete waste of money (it only cost 120 GBP from the Nikon outlet shop though). When I bought it, I don't think I had a clear idea why I needed it so it ended up gathering dust. A while later I bought the 35/1.8 prime lens..
    I'm the other way round I'd say the kit lens and the 35 are the ones I least use- okay the 35 didn't cost me (Xmas present) but the main one's I use are my 50 prime, 55-200 and increasingly (The amount it cost I had best get my money's worth of use out of it) my Tamron 90-105 macro

I think maybe this has gone away from the initial point and I'm sorry if not clear why I was looking for was which of the initial two lenses the canon IS 55-250mm or the tamron USD VR 75-300mm is the better lens in the eyes of some more experienced photographers.

Maybe it's build quality
    Optical quality
    Or the USD on the tamron makes all the difference
    Or you will really need the extra 50mm

Quote Originally Posted by phinster555 View Post
    ...which of the initial two lenses the canon IS 55-250mm or the tamron USD VR 75-300mm is the better lens in the eyes of some more experienced photographers.

Maybe it's build quality
    Optical quality
    Or the USD on the tamron makes all the difference
    Or you will really need the extra 50mm
    I presume you mean the Tamron 70-300mm DI VC USD.

What Digital Camera magazine, AP's sister magazine, did a group test of these two lenses, plus the Sigma and Nikon equivalents. The Tamron won, scoring well on features and design, but the Canon scored marginally higher on performance and image quality.

I recommend you go to http://www.oldtimercameras.com/ and buy the test report, as it gives a great deal of information about both lenses.

If you're still interested, I own the Tamron 70-300 VC USD. I'll post some shots later. Initial differences that spring to mind are (my dad owns the 55-250);

- Build and weight of Tamron better than the Canon
    - IS system on the Tamron is exceptional
    - Switches for AF and IS (VC) are quite easy to knock
    - Tamron significantly more expensive
    - Neither are particularly fast
    - Canon is certainly lighter and smaller
    - Canon ships without hood

All in all however, if you're prepared to spend on the Tamron, you should be considering the constant aperture EF 70-200 f/4 USM (no IS). It's around 400 new, less if you shop around. People have their tolerances, but many suggest IS is only a definite requirement after 200mm.

Alternatively, I'm considering the sale of my Tamron (<1yr old) to pick up the aforementioned lens plus teleconverter. If you're interested, let me know, through PM or here.
    The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE. - Ernst Haas

hi I have the 550d i also have the 50 1.8 this lens for the price point should be in your bag. the 55-250 really scores where it matters that in the IQ stakes where it punches well above its weight. my advice would be take a camera to shop and shoot a couple shots with each then see the difference. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wave
    also have the 50 1.8 this lens for the price point should be in your bag.
    For some jobs my Nikon 50 f1.8 wins everytime- it's a great glass for gigs when you're near the stage and has served me well and it's not hugely expensive. My Tamron is probably better but did not come cheap (I'm taking sandwiches to work for another month or so- mind you as I predicted I seem to have shed a few pounds 'cos I ain't relying on "fast food" so much the "Tamron Diet") also the 50 1.8 is a great lens for portrait work