Thread: Batteries for sb 800 - nikon

Batteries for sb 800 - nikon

What are the best batteries to use with my sb 800 flashgun please

Re: Batteries for sb 800 - nikon

Personally I just use standard alkaline cells in my guns, buying a branded item, such as Panasonic or Energiser from the likes of Home Bargains where they run at 25p or less each. When they are exhausted they are then recycled.

Some people recommend Eneloop batteries. Personally I'm with nimbus and use cheapies from the pound shops - You can usually get brands like Kodak or JCB.

I personally also buy "cheapo-deluxe" batteries for my SB-600 but also have 8 Eneloops in my bag as well.
    Does the picture turn out differently than what you see in the viewfinder?

I buy AA batteries when I see them on offer, usually it is possible to find Duracell at around 30p each in DIY outlets and many places do their own brand. A battery's life in a flashgun is usually a hard one and almost any battery alkaline will do unless you expect them to last for several years or do a long shoot. Under normal amateur use it is probably better to leave the flashgun without batteries and fit them when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggie View Post
    What are the best batteries to use with my sb 800 flashgun please
    I use 2900mah NiMh rechargables (from 7dayshop), and recently started using their 'ready to go' range - these are like Eneloop (slow discharge, so retain their charge after being left for months). These are lower power (2100mah, IIRC) so recharge time isn't as quick, but both give me good service (several hundred shots per charge).

They're about 4 for a pack of 4 inc delivery, and cost in very quickly compared with spending 1 for a set and throwing them away...

These are lower power (2100mah, IIRC) so recharge time isn't as quick
    Eh?

Capacity has little to do with recharge time, in fact with the same internal resistance / charging voltage a lower capacity cell should recharge faster than a higher capacity one.

Capacity has nothing to do with power output until the voltage begins to fall off as exhaustion is approached.

Do you mean the Eneloops have a lower output voltage than the usual NiMH, or a higher internal resistance, or a lower charging current?

For most purposes a cell which holds its charge better is superior to one with a larger capacity but with a shorter charge storage life. A week after charging the useful capacity of your "2900 mAh" batteries will probably be down to around 2100 mAh anyway.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee View Post
    Eh?

Capacity has little to do with recharge time, in fact with the same internal resistance / charging voltage a lower capacity cell should recharge faster than a higher capacity one.

Capacity has nothing to do with power output until the voltage begins to fall off as exhaustion is approached.

Do you mean the Eneloops have a lower output voltage than the usual NiMH, or a higher internal resistance, or a lower charging current?
    Doh - no, I was very unclear. When I said that the recharge time is slower with the 2100mah compared with the 2900mah, I meant the *flash* recycle/recharge time, not the battery recharge time. Sorry! The flash will recycle quicker with the 2900mah installed compared with the 2100mah. Not a massive difference, but if you're relying on speed it may be a factor in your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee View Post
    For most purposes a cell which holds its charge better is superior to one with a larger capacity but with a shorter charge storage life. A week after charging the useful capacity of your "2900 mAh" batteries will probably be down to around 2100 mAh anyway.
    Absolutely - I bought the 2900mah sets before the slow-discharge type were readily available (at sensible money!). All my recent purchases have been the 2100mah slow discharge type - as you say, after a week or so they 'win', which suits my shooting pattern. It's very, very rare that I run down a set of batteries in a day; it's very common that I leave the camera sitting with the flash attached for weeks on end on the off chance the kids do something worth shooting. The slow discharge batteries mean I know that the flash will work when I need it to.

Quote Originally Posted by NosamLuap View Post
    I use 2900mah NiMh rechargables (from 7dayshop), and recently started using their 'ready to go' range - these are like Eneloop (slow discharge, so retain their charge after being left for months). These are lower power (2100mah, IIRC) so recharge time isn't as quick, but both give me good service (several hundred shots per charge).
    A word of caution Paul. Having two SB-900s I suffered from the infamous thermal cut-out 'issue' using 2700mah rechargeable batteries. Switching to the much lower rated Eneloops has just about solved the issue unless I really tax the little blighters (e.g. shooting iTTL & rapid refiring)

The reason I urge caution is that the thermal cut-out on the Sb-900 isn't an issue, it's the Speedlight protecting it from possible damage through overheating. The SB-800 (and most other flashguns for that matter) has no such cut out and the first thing you know about any possible overheating is when it fries itself.

Given my experience with the 2700mah batteries, I'm sticking to lower rated ones until I get chance to really test the theory.
    "Wrong on so many different levels."

Blog - Contre Dour http://www.contredour.com - Capturing the ordinary for posterity.

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/barneyallen/

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    A word of caution Paul. Having two SB-900s I suffered from the infamous thermal cut-out 'issue' using 2700mah rechargeable batteries. Switching to the much lower rated Eneloops has just about solved the issue unless I really tax the little blighters (e.g. shooting iTTL & rapid refiring)

The reason I urge caution is that the thermal cut-out on the Sb-900 isn't an issue, it's the Speedlight protecting it from possible damage through overheating. The SB-800 (and most other flashguns for that matter) has no such cut out and the first thing you know about any possible overheating is when it fries itself.

Given my experience with the 2700mah batteries, I'm sticking to lower rated ones until I get chance to really test the theory.
    Good point... I use an sb900 too

Thanks everyone for your comments - sorry for delay in replying - has given me some good ideas - wiggie