Thread: Rip 400d?

Rip 400d?

On switching on my 3 year old Canon 400D this morning, I received a most helpful, (not!), error message on the screen: "There is a problem with the CF card. Replace the card." Nothing more helpful than that! Anyway, I swopped the card but received the same message. With the use of a torch and a magnifying glass I was able to see that the fault could be due to a couple of broken connecting pins in the CF card slot. Calls to local camera shops indicated that the cost of repairs would be in the region of £180! Apparently the connectors are just part of the main board which has to be replaced in situ.

The thought of having to replace the camera after only 3 years does not exactly appeal to me, as apart from the extra-ordinary cost of the repair, it has given great service and Iím more than happy with its performance, features etc.. Has anyone else had this problem? Anybody got any ideas how the problem might be resolved?............cheaply! Or is it RIP 400D?

As an aside, could this be described as a design fault? Itís a bit demoralising to think that 2 tiny bits of connector could result in a repair cost of £180+, or a replacement camera. If the latter, should I look for a camera utilising a SD card rather than a CF card as I understand that SD cards do not have the same problems?
    Last edited by JohnB3; 21-03-2012 at 10:31.

Re: Rip 400d?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB3 View Post
    ... 3 year old Canon 400D ...fault could be due to a couple of broken connecting pins in the CF card slot. ...repairs would be in the region of £180! ...

... should I look for a camera utilising a SD card rather than a CF card as I understand that SD cards do not have the same problems?

Sorry to hear of your problem. Has your camera taken many 000s of images?

I've been using Canon DSLRs since 2003 with CF cards, and they're all still going strong. And with 000s of exposures and lots of card insertions as well. However I have heard of similar problems to yours with the CF card socket.

In another thread I've just reported that I've had to replace an SD card due to faulty contact - in this case, the problem seems to be with the card.

I note that LCE are offering used 400Ds for around the estimated cost of a repair to your camera, so perhaps it's time to consider an upgrade.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm_Stewart View Post
    Sorry to hear of your problem. Has your camera taken many 000s of images?

I've been using Canon DSLRs since 2003 with CF cards, and they're all still going strong. And with 000s of exposures and lots of card insertions as well. However I have heard of similar problems to yours with the CF card socket.

In another thread I've just reported that I've had to replace an SD card due to faulty contact - in this case, the problem seems to be with the card.

I note that LCE are offering used 400Ds for around the estimated cost of a repair to your camera, so perhaps it's time to consider an upgrade.
    Thanks for your reply Malcolm. Yes, I've taken a few thousand images since I bought the 400D. However, the number of times that I've removed/replaced the cards has been rather few. I tend to take the shots on a high capacity card, upload to my PC, (including back up copies!), via the camera, delete the images from the card then start again using the same card. The number of times that I swap cards is rather minimal.

If you class this as a design fault every device using a CF card has a design fault! These do need to be inserted gently and it can happen that the pins suffer damage or breakage if this is done incorrectly or carelessly.

You may find a repairer who has a scrap 400D which has suffered a different fate and as such may be able to repair your camera at an economical price. If not, it is either pay the high price of repair or use it as an excuse to upgrade, later Canon entry level dslrs do in fact use SD cards, perhaps due to experience of CF cards and pin bends or breakages.

You could sell the broken camera on ebay as defective to part fund a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbus View Post
    If you class this as a design fault every device using a CF card has a design fault! These do need to be inserted gently and it can happen that the pins suffer damage or breakage if this is done incorrectly or carelessly.

You may find a repairer who has a scrap 400D which has suffered a different fate and as such may be able to repair your camera at an economical price. If not, it is either pay the high price of repair or use it as an excuse to upgrade, later Canon entry level dslrs do in fact use SD cards, perhaps due to experience of CF cards and pin bends or breakages.

You could sell the broken camera on ebay as defective to part fund a replacement.
    I agree, nimbus, that the cards have to be inserted (very!) carefully. It's just that if the pins are a fraction of a millimetre out of alignment then you are looking at a repair of c.£180! As a matter of interest, I notice that a couple of the pins are longer than the rest; I assume that these are locator pins (my description!) and don't actually carry any data?

As regards a replacement LCE, (Reading), are offering a second hand Canon 450D body only, for about £280 with a 6 month warranty. Might be worth considering, but I would still like to repair my 400D...............cheaply! Thanks for your suggestion, btw.

John Berry

Ebay generally has a pin repair service advertised for around £50. Can't see the 400D currently listed, but that's where I would go for that sort of camera.
    Nick

"Photography is lies" - Bailey
    "Few artists are much more than halfway sane" - Roger Hicks

The Blog is (coming) back http://www.nbrphoto.net/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Benchista View Post
    Ebay generally has a pin repair service advertised for around £50. Can't see the 400D currently listed, but that's where I would go for that sort of camera.
    Good stuff, Benchista! Much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchista View Post
    £180, crazy money because for that he can buy a 450D on ebay. That way get a upgrade.

You stated that the pins were actually broken, a local repairer has straightened them on occasions. Hence my advice was as shown. I assume after straightening there may be a slight weakness compared with original condition, so even more care may be required.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbus View Post
    You stated that the pins were actually broken, a local repairer has straightened them on occasions. Hence my advice was as shown. I assume after straightening there may be a slight weakness compared with original condition, so even more care may be required.
    Thanks, nimbus. I've managed to locate a repairer in Middlesex, (http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/), who charges £85 all in for this repair. Sounds reasonable, so I might go for this rather than the upgrade!

Thanks to all who taken the time to respond to my problem; much appreciated!

Thanks, nimbus. I've managed to locate a repairer in Middlesex, (http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/), who charges £85 all in for this repair. Sounds reasonable, so I might go for this rather than the upgrade!

Thanks to all who taken the time to respond to my problem; much appreciated!
    Apologies if anyone has been having problems trying to log on to the above site. The actual address is:
    www.cam-rep.co.uk/

Just to draw a line under this thread: I sent my camera for repair to this company www.cam-rep.co.uk/ and I have to say the service was excellent. I was notified when the camera when the camera had arrived; given an estimate for the turnaround, (8 working days), and notified when it was on its way back. The price for the repair? £85 including a new CF pin unit and Next Day Delivery postage. Can't be bad! Highly recommended.
    Last edited by JohnB3; 04-05-2012 at 19:14.

...I sent my camera for repair to this company www.cam-rep.co.uk/ ...
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    From his web-page, I see that some cameras are prone to their pop-up flashes not working. I had that problem on my 50D, and after thinking for a short time, realised that perhaps it had got stuck in place by spilt ice-cream! A little water applied by a cotton bud cured it.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm_Stewart View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    From his web-page, I see that some cameras are prone to their pop-up flashes not working. I had that problem on my 50D, and after thinking for a short time, realised that perhaps it had got stuck in place by spilt ice-cream! A little water applied by a cotton bud cured it.
    Magnum or Cornetto?

Wow, this guy seems to be a top-notch repair/recover/photo fixer upper .
    In fact, I think I may bookmark his website for folks, from the UK South, who
    may be in need of camera repairs, etc... .

Cheers,

Jack
    Life is a Photo-op

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: Street Photography Documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0

(UPDATED NOV 16th)MY BLOG: www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com http://www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com