Thread: Processing out of date C41 film

Processing out of date C41 film

I have been asked to process an out of date 35mm C41 film. The actual age is anything between 15 and 20 years old, possibly more. It has only just been found in an old camera after the owner died, and that was 5 years ago! Developing the film does not present any problems with regard to the actual process.

The present owner is fully aware that nothing may be recovereble but I would like to give it my best shot. Are there any hints about processing times, do it as monochrome using ID11 or what. My normal C41 time is 3mins 15 secs.

Thanks in anticipation

Re: Processing out of date C41 film

Since it is a C41 film, would it not be better processed as such? What is recoverable will partly depend on the storage conditions, if it has been in a loft it is likely that it will have deteriorated to a large extent, on the other hand if it has been kept in an unheated environment deterioration may not be too severe, C41 films are fairly tolerant.

Thanks.

I have been advised the results are not always the same from identicle film even stored in a similar environment. I have been given times for a +1 push processing which will give the contrast a boost without increasing the fog levels over dramatically. We shall see soon 'cos I will be doing it tomorrow.

It had been stored inside the camers which itself was in a cupboard so the temp, although not cool should have been stable. I can but try.

Thaks for your input anyway

I processed the film yesterday and the film was devoid of any images. It was dark green all over and even the edge markings had gone. Ah well some you win some you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    I processed the film yesterday and the film was devoid of any images. It was dark green all over and even the edge markings had gone. Ah well some you win some you don't.
    That is a shame. No edge markings does mean a total failure of cause. What brand of C41 was it by the way. Might be useful to other with overdue film floating around.

I have processed some 1987 Kodak VPS III I was given successfully -- I downrated it to 40 ASA instead of 160 ASA and gave it 3 mins 40 secs C41 development and got some good negs !! If yours were all 'Green' that means the film has been subjected to some FUMES -- it happens with Ilford XP2 Super, the Chromogenic C41 film -- instead of brown images they come out greenish.
    Got COMPUTERISED at last and now Digitised but FILM still RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by P_Stoddart View Post
    That is a shame. No edge markings does mean a total failure of cause. What brand of C41 was it by the way. Might be useful to other with overdue film floating around.
    The cassette was branded 'Bonusprint' so the origin could be anything from 3M to Agfa to early Fuji.

There was only one cassette so it is not likely will not be repeated any time in the future.

I recently had a film processed at a standard consumer lab (ASDA) that was over 18 years old, the film had not been stored very well and may have spend time in a hot attic, it came out just fine.
    Al

[Insert clever comment here]