Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon G1x

Canon G1x

Has anyone bought a G1x yet, and if so, how is it? I'm thinking of buying one to replace a Nikon DSLR.

Re: Canon G1x

Its a review in this weeks AP mag.

I had one in the hand in Jessops, Edinburgh last week....It was nice to hold but a bit big for a compact. Everything was very familiar so if you are used to Canon you can probably throw the manual away.

Graeme
    AGW (BSRIPN)

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where others see nothing. (Camille Pissarro)

Quote Originally Posted by rjbell View Post
    Its a review in this weeks AP mag.
    I won't see it for weeks, does it comment on the shutter lag? My biggest beef with my G10 is I never know when the shot is made ( cf a 1D)

I had one in my hands at Focus on Imaging a couple of weeks ago;
    Quote Originally Posted by AGW View Post
    It was nice to hold but a bit big for a compact. Everything was very familiar so if you are used to Canon you can probably throw the manual away.
    As per above quote, but I wouldn't think that it can substitute for your Nikon DSLR unless you only ever use the kit lens with it
    Chris M (NRIPN) says: "Too many cameras, too many lenses......."

Thank you all for your useful comments. The shutter lag issue was mentioned in the AP report, and might be a show stopper.

I was thinking of downsizing from my D300 and immediately thought of the G1x due to its increased sensor size but the zoom is only 4x compared to the 5x on my old G10. Plus the macro capability is zilch. The price is astronomical for what is essentially a high end compact so I am now considering a Sony NEX7 or a Panasonic GX1 both of which have the benefits of interchangeable lenses and a small body. Sure, it'll come down in price but if I am spending my own 699 on gear I think I can purchase far more capability for my money than what the G1x can provide.

That said, if money was no object then I reckon I'd buy it because it will do what it can do really well and will be a thing of beauty and a delight to use.
    Zak FRIPN

(Make mine a double)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist View Post
    Thank you all for your useful comments. The shutter lag issue was mentioned in the AP report, and might be a show stopper.
    I don't understand the problem with shutter lag. If I'm shooting any action that needs a fast shutter. I have the shutter button pressed halfway. Instant shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cool View Post
    I don't understand the problem with shutter lag. If I'm shooting any action that needs a fast shutter. I have the shutter button pressed halfway. Instant shooting
    I've noticed lag on a few occasions; I can't remember the exact circumstances - it may well have been my fault rather than the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Zak52 View Post
    I was thinking of downsizing from my D300 and immediately thought of the G1x due to its increased sensor size but the zoom is only 4x compared to the 5x on my old G10. Plus the macro capability is zilch. The price is astronomical for what is essentially a high end compact so I am now considering a Sony NEX7 or a Panasonic GX1 both of which have the benefits of interchangeable lenses and a small body. Sure, it'll come down in price but if I am spending my own 699 on gear I think I can purchase far more capability for my money than what the G1x can provide.

That said, if money was no object then I reckon I'd buy it because it will do what it can do really well and will be a thing of beauty and a delight to use.
    Thanks for that. I may just keep my DSLR and my Canon G11, which I was going to PX.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cool View Post
    I think also a after while you get learn to work it into your pattern of shooting. I have few cameras with shutter lag of say 6/10 or even 7/10 but still got action shots because I work with. Also most of the lag is usually the CDAF so if you use a pre-focus technique for action it does not cause a issue.

I think the more important issue is the shot to shot delay. If the camera in raw mode takes longer than a second to return control to you that can be a real pain.

It's one thing that most film cameras don't suffer from of cause.

Everything is relative. I find the shutter lag on my G12 annoying at times because it's used for 70% of the time as a substitute to my 40D as it's always in my backpack however compared with my wife's little Panasonic, an always great little camera and an up to date Ixus I have it's much quicker so I tend to get into the habit of pre-focusing many shots which helps. Good as it is I would never never be tempted by the G1X due to its price, probably.

a thing of beauty
    My feeling at Focus was that by making it just that bit bigger than the previous G models, it looked more like it had been made by a committee, with parts thrown together - somehow, I've never thought that about the G12. Felt solid enough, though.
    Nick

"Photography is lies" - Bailey
    "Few artists are much more than halfway sane" - Roger Hicks

The Blog is (coming) back http://www.nbrphoto.net/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Benchista View Post
    My feeling at Focus was that by making it just that bit bigger than the previous G models, it looked more like it had been made by a committee, with parts thrown together - somehow, I've never thought that about the G12. Felt solid enough, though.
    Thats a shame, I love the feel and the quality of my G10 which to me represents the benefits of evolving/developing a winning formula.
    Zak FRIPN

(Make mine a double)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist View Post
    Thanks for that. I may just keep my DSLR and my Canon G11, which I was going to PX.
    That's ok, I tend to be much more careful with my money since I took early retirement so every purchase has to be carefully considered. The days of the two yearly upgrade have long gone!
    Zak FRIPN

(Make mine a double)

That's ok, I tend to be much more careful with my money since I took early retirement so every purchase has to be carefully considered. The days of the two yearly upgrade have long gone!
    Too true. I've dug my Nikon 8800 out the cupboard (2004 era) and am thinking of taking it on a trip.
    Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanClifford View Post
    Too true. I've dug my Nikon 8800 out the cupboard (2004 era) and am thinking of taking it on a trip.
    And it'll probably do a fine job! I still have my first digicam, a Minolta Dimage S304 complete with its original 16MB Lexar. It has a cracking lens and still takes great shots with its 3mp sensor.
    Zak FRIPN

(Make mine a double)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRob View Post
    I won't see it for weeks, does it comment on the shutter lag? My biggest beef with my G10 is I never know when the shot is made ( cf a 1D)
    The article in AP 24 March compares the G1 X, the G12 and the EOS 600D. The shutter lag timings are quoted as 0.1 sec for the 600D and 0.4 secs for both the G1 X and the G12. You'll need to look out old comparison articles for the G10 and G11 to get a better idea of how things stack up today.

The biggest selling point with the G1 X is its lens, which appears to produce very sharp images, especially in raw, up to ISO 3200. Even at the extended ISO 12800 the sharpness looks similar to the 600D results at ISO 3200.
    Rupert

I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realise what you heard is not what I meant

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert49 View Post
    The article in AP 24 March compares the G1 X, the G12 and the EOS 600D. The shutter lag timings are quoted as 0.1 sec for the 600D and 0.4 secs for both the G1 X and the G12. You'll need to look out old comparison articles for the G10 and G11 to get a better idea of how things stack up today.

The biggest selling point with the G1 X is its lens, which appears to produce very sharp images, especially in raw, up to ISO 3200. Even at the extended ISO 12800 the sharpness looks similar to the 600D results at ISO 3200.
    That is impressive for a compact and eminently useful for travel and walkabout but I still think I'd go for the 600D and a third party party wide-telephoto zoom which would come in at the same money. Not as compact but more versatile. I am sure there are many who will find the G1x package ideal for their needs, and so would I if it was 200 cheaper.
    Zak FRIPN

(Make mine a double)

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert49 View Post
    The article in AP 24 March compares the G1 X, the G12 and the EOS 600D. ...
    My query is with regard to the referenced review - what on earth does the following quote mean? (from the black box inset)

P49
    Canon's View
    David Parry, ... talks about the G1 X lens

'The newly designed lens at the heart of the Power Shot G1 X is technically difficult to produce,' says David. 'It is a "UA" type (ultra-high refractive index aspherical lens) that avoids optical flaws such as diffraction. ...
    Can anyone explain how Canon have got round some of the fundamental laws of physics? Did he mean "diffraction" or did he mean refraction?

Certainly, the lack of colour fringing as demonstrated on the opposite page is impressive, but how?
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII