Thread: Canon 550d and Prolinca IR trigger not working

Canon 550d and Prolinca IR trigger not working

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone could help me with a problem I am having.

I have recently bought a Canon 550d to use for studio work, I'm not a professional at all.
    Before I used a Samsung GX-20 which was pretty easy to use.

I have 2 Elinchrom D-lites and I used a Elinchrom Prolinca IR trigger to set my lights off.
    It was very easy to set up my camera so that the lights triggered once the Prolinca was put on to the hotshoe.

Now I have the Canon 550D I cannot get the Prolinca to trigger off my lights at all.
    If I press the orange button on top of the trigger the lights flash but if I take a photo nothing happens.

I don't know what to do to get them to flash and wondered if anyone out there could shed some light?
    I wondered if I may need to buy another trigger which is compatible for my Canon 550d and my Elinchrom D-lites.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Canon 550d and Prolinca IR trigger not working

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Can your flash heads "see" the IR trigger? Line of sight? (I assume that must have been OK when you did the button pressing test.)

Does your built-in camera pop-up flash gun work OK?

Do external Canon flash guns work OK in your camera's hot-shoe? If you don't own a Canon flash gun, you might be able to test this at a (friendly) dealer. Do non-Canon flash guns work in your camera's hot-shoe? (Don't use a very early electronic flash for this test (e.g. Vivitar 283) - some of them gave out too high a voltage.)

Sorry, can't think of anything else to try at the moment.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

I thought I would google this as it seemed a simple compatibility question. Google did not find the answer but threw up an identical post in two other forums. I hope the solution gets shared too!

Hi Malcolm & Rob,

Many thanks for your replies.
    I have now resolved the issue, I found a small lead for the Prolinca trigger and the lights now flash when I take a photo.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I really do appreciate it.

Lynn