Thread: RS-284 and RSH-24 3-way head

RS-284 and RSH-24 3-way head

A while back someone here recommended Red Snapper tripods- although the model they mentioned was more expensive than I wanted to/could spend money on but a look at their website yielded the above model including postage a mere 66 so I got it

(Red Snapper's customer service by the way was very good and the tripod arrived within the time mentioned by them and so well packed it took me 20 minutes to get it out the box)

The one minor niggle was poor/non existent instructions if you know your way around tripods this is not a problem but as a newbie it took me a while to work out how to screw the head on

But for the price it was impressive, spirit level, feet that if conditions were muddy you could twist the rubber feet up to reveal a spike at the end of each pole and a spring loaded central hook so you could weight it down with your camera bag

It looked good but today was the first day I was out and about with although setting it up in our hallway (which has amazingly uneven floorboards) suggested it was pretty stable.

First of all it's light enough to carry for ages without noticing it

When called into use it set up beautifully- it's dead easy to adjust the legs and they lock securely very easily just a couple of turns. It's so light it's hard to beleive it's going to be stable but once it's locked down it suddenly turns into a solid beast, All the locking and unlocking has a smooth action-nothing has to be forced. The camera screws in and locks tight and the head moves smoothly.

Because it's so light and smooth it's very easy to move from one location to another I simply unlocked the legs and shoved it in the bag head end first so the legs collapsed into themselves and moved on

It can be used very low to the ground with all legs unopened but expands when all the leg sections are extended to the point where I at 5 feet 6 inches tall barely had to lean down to look through the viewfinder

And one for the ladies (and these days some gents) the centre spring is brilliant -never mind using your camera bag to stabilise it- it took the weight of my handbag which made it very stable and meant I could get on with shooting without having to keep an eye on my handbag

It's a very nice piece of kit for not an extreme amount of money I recommend it
    "I am the very model of an amateur photographer"

Re: RS-284 and RSH-24 3-way head

Glad you're pleased with it, and good to see that the spirit level is where it ought to be - where it can tell you that the top of the tripod is level.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Another helpful review - thanks. As I said in reply to another review I am in the market but I am still very undecided, I might just end up getting a new head and keeping my old tripod legs. The spring loaded hook seems a very nice feature, as I carry a (rather large) handbag, often full of spare cameras batteries etc.

Roger

Just to let you know that I was driving past Banbury this morning and stopped at the Red Snapper depot to look at the tripods and bought bought one. I picked the 283 plus ball head and on a short acquaintance it seems just as good as you describe. Also as an impulse buy I picked up one of their "mini studio kits".

So thanks for the review - I would probably not have found them without it

Roger

Glad you like it- please let me know what the mini studio kit is like

Quote Originally Posted by LesleySM View Post
    Glad you like it- please let me know what the mini studio kit is like
    Seems well made and very good value for money, though mind you I managed to drop one of the lights almost as soon as I opened if so until I get another bulb I am restricted to natural light only. Probably just the job for photographing small items. I took one shot (by natural light) of my two OMs just to test it (and the tripod)
    Last edited by RogerMac; 29-03-2012 at 16:30.

I'm tempted by the mini studio kit-my problem is I live in a small flat so I just don't have room for a dedicated studio area but I can certainly see some use for a whitebox (I'd have liked one for the competition this month- it's really hard for me to find anywhere I can use as a backdrop but with a whitebox if it's not too massive there are some places I could place it) also it comes in a case so it can just be put away when not in use and it's a good price-not this month though