Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post FOCUS thoughts on OM-D EM-5

Re: Post FOCUS thoughts on OM-D EM-5

Quote Originally Posted by P_Stoddart View Post
    If you want to use Kodak E-6 you better hurry up.
    Yes. Fuji then

So the OM-D EM-5 has just arrived on my desk and I will be using the camera all this week for our full test. Is there any specific element of the camera that you would particularly like me to cover in the review?

An honest appreciation of the quality of the EVF and of the images would do me. Also, on the production models, are the D pad arrows marked?
    Nick

"Photography is lies" - Bailey
    "Few artists are much more than halfway sane" - Roger Hicks

The Blog is (coming) back http://www.nbrphoto.net/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by Benchista View Post
    An honest appreciation of the quality of the EVF and of the images would do me. Also, on the production models, are the D pad arrows marked?
    Thanks, I'll be sure to check those things out

As Nick said but also I would be interested in an opinion as to how fast the 4/3 lenses (in particular the 12/60) focus on this new body I know it will not be in the same league as native mFT lenses but just an opinion (say faster / slower than on a P1) would be very helpful

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Benchista View Post
    I agree about the EVF. Compared to say the Lumix G3/GH2. Was it over hyped?

Is the AF any better than the Lumix offerings? I have read that Olympus AF on the PENs is not very quick.

Another thought - there has been a suggestion on the Oly fora that the burst mode speed has been under hyped (i.e. it is faster that the official specs. ) it would be interesting to have confirmation (or not) of this.

Roger

Thanks chaps, all good q's and good timing as I will be heading out with the camera at lunchtime.

Please take it out in the rain for a few hours and test the weatherproofing!

You may need to get a train oop north though! I hear you don't get rain darn sarf any more!

Seriously, weatherproofing is one of the main things I miss since trading in my E3/12-60 combo!
    Thanks

Nick

And being able to survive a good downpour was something that they used to claim for the OM-1 in at least one of their ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_Idle View Post
    Please take it out in the rain for a few hours and test the weatherproofing!

You may need to get a train oop north though! I hear you don't get rain darn sarf any more!

Seriously, weatherproofing is one of the main things I miss since trading in my E3/12-60 combo!
    Two days of testing and not a drop of rain. i may have to simulate it! How's it looking up north? I am heading north on Sunday, although by north I mean Northampton

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Coleman View Post
    Two days of testing and not a drop of rain. i may have to simulate it! How's it looking up north? I am heading north on Sunday, although by north I mean Northampton
    That's south by any measure!
    Nick

"Photography is lies" - Bailey
    "Few artists are much more than halfway sane" - Roger Hicks

The Blog is (coming) back http://www.nbrphoto.net/blog/

Smile Re: Post FOCUS thoughts on OM-D EM-5

i may have to simulate it!
    The Production Ed, subs an' art dept are keen to assist. Any buckets and/or hose(s) required will have to go on the technical teams cost centre though

https://www.facebook.com/Amateur.photographer.magazine
    Like AP on Facebook!
    Have an enquiry re AP? Contact AP http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/contact/.
    For issues concerning the forum/site build please contact the Online Manager > here <

Take it with you when taking a hot shower?

Cool Re: Post FOCUS thoughts on OM-D EM-5

Funnily enough when i was in Northampton on Sunday and out taking photos I was caught out by a rainshower! Droplets just run right off the camera body. Back down south now, and the sun has been shining all day!

Wink Re: Post FOCUS thoughts on OM-D EM-5

Funnily enough...
    ...we've already purchased the buckets, tomorrow, 10:30 am, basement 2

https://www.facebook.com/Amateur.photographer.magazine
    Like AP on Facebook!
    Have an enquiry re AP? Contact AP http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/contact/.
    For issues concerning the forum/site build please contact the Online Manager > here <

Last Saturday I went to a dealer day to see and hold the OM-D for myself. I guess I spend half an hour or more with it and could have taken longer. (I ended up buying some second-hand stuff including a 4/3rds 70-300 for my E-PL1).
    The EVF was, to me, a revelation after the Sony SLT things that I just could not live with. At last here is an EVF that gives an almost lifelike update/view. I was really impressed with this, and the other aspects of the camera. It also feels good to hold (maybe having grown up with old-fashioned film cameras, it just took me back to how cameras used to feel !).
    So if I had the money I'd have placed my deposit. However in view of its current price and my lack of funds (plus, I don't relaly need another camera) I won't be buying one just yet. Incidentally the lure of a free battery grip is of no interest to me as I find that they interfere with my style of holding a DSLR (or film SLR for that matter).
    But if you are interested in this type of camera, I think that Olympus could be on to a winner
    Chris M (NRIPN) says: "Too many cameras, too many lenses......."

South and east of where I was but going west

Quote Originally Posted by IvorETower View Post
    Last Saturday I went to a dealer day to see and hold the OM-D for myself. I guess I spend half an hour or more with it and could have taken longer. (I ended up buying some second-hand stuff including a 4/3rds 70-300 for my E-PL1).
    The EVF was, to me, a revelation after the Sony SLT things that I just could not live with. At last here is an EVF that gives an almost lifelike update/view. I was really impressed with this, and the other aspects of the camera. It also feels good to hold (maybe having grown up with old-fashioned film cameras, it just took me back to how cameras used to feel !).
    So if I had the money I'd have placed my deposit. However in view of its current price and my lack of funds (plus, I don't relaly need another camera) I won't be buying one just yet. Incidentally the lure of a free battery grip is of no interest to me as I find that they interfere with my style of holding a DSLR (or film SLR for that matter).
    But if you are interested in this type of camera, I think that Olympus could be on to a winner
    Well, if you've bought a MFT 70-300mm (new?) I can understand if you are broke, right now. Plus, I think Brits should be a bit miffed that they are being expected to pay a 52% premium for their OMDEMS compared to the cousins, Stateside.

The grip comment was interesting as I am - at long last - having a play with a Pen 1 [despite no OZVF ] that came equipped with an accessory 17mm finder and I have acquired just the pancake lens so far. It is so new to me that I have nothing yet to report except that the camera seems a bit poor in the grip department - despite the plastic bulge.

As I don't have problems with a Trip35 I'm a bit puzzled. Hopefully as I start shooting with it (over the weekend?) I might, as they say 'get a handle on it'!

Glad you like the OM-D EM-5 (auggh - they've committed to that awful name - I can't believe it! ), I am sure some will love the camera. I found the viewfinder shrouding a bit off-putting and the whole rather small (made to go with the camera?) but then a D700 tends to spoil one a bit! My hands are just the small, neat side of medium, so I found the grip pretty good but why add extra weight and bulk, why not make the camera handle-able in the first place?

When I look at and think about the OMDEMS it looks like the photographic equivalent of a camel produced by a committee of designers briefed to come up with a horse.

BTW - I have just had the thrill(?) of seeing my first Nikon 1 in use in the public sphere. Moi? Sarcastic? Cynical?

No, you've got the wrong bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by 0lybacker View Post
    My hands are just the small, neat side of medium, so I found the grip pretty good but why add extra weight and bulk, why not make the camera handle-able in the first place?
    I think the camera handles well with or without the grip, but especially so with it!

Olybacker - the viewfinder is great isn't it?

There are several little touches to the camera that to me make a difference in day to day use. The face detection with eye detection ensures whichever eye you want is in focus - I've had so many portraits where the shallow depth of field is just a shade out, many in focus eyebrows! The choice to select the FPS rate in a high-speed burst, which in turn affects how long a burst is possible is neat (many other cameras offer say 10FPS but only at a one second burst. I prefer choosing a slightly slower but longer burst, as is possible here).

The E-M5 is a lovely camera, but as you say, not a cheap one!

(many other cameras offer say 10FPS but only at a one second burst. I prefer choosing a slightly slower but longer burst, as is possible here).
    Sounds like a nice wee feature. Does it cycle through the burst shot images on the review screen when you tilt the camera from side to side? I like that feature on my Sony compact...might just be toy value but seems like a pretty cool way to view shots that were shot as a burst. Bet it would be even better in 3D though
    Andrew

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry