Thread: Valuable lesson

Valuable lesson

I've been hibernating photo wise- in the last month I've occasionally fired off a lazy shot from my armchair usually of Dave or the cats nothing worth downloading to the PC even. Just couldn't be asked. Glanced at a few books and come on here.

Today I had to pop to Stratford to pay a bill and intended to have lunch in a decent cafe and a couple in the pub afterwards and decided to just pick up my camera. Dave sent me on my way with his usual gloomy progonsications about the possibility of my having it stolen.

At first I just wondered why I'd bothered, took a couple of shots of the Town Hall but over the nezt few hours I took something like 200 shots....

Of which all but 30 when blown up when straight into the recycle bin and what I have left are some shots I like even if they're not technically excellent/some shots that look fine technically but are of no real interest like shots of the bar/a few shots that might work with some post processing but I'm still counting it a good day because
    1. I got out and tried
    2. I got a practice at ISO/manual/different apertures and shutter speeds at least I am finally starting to get an idea of how these affect images i.e. I did it wrong but at least I am starting to understand why I did it wrong
    3 I got the measure of my 35mm lens- got it for Xmas and just haven't had a lot of use but now I am can where it works and where it doesn't
    4 I did some test shots for a possible entry into the competition this month

And to be honest because I just had fun with my camera. I've been getting frustrated by it.

I came back in and did my first clone (on an unrelated photo) so maybe just slinging my camera bag over my shoulder and going out for a look around has got those creative juices flowing again
    "I am the very model of an amateur photographer"

Re: Valuable lesson

Thank you for your inspirational "kick in the pants" you might just have gotten me out of the photographic doldrums!

Pip pip! Andrew
    "So hard to lift this jeweled sceptre when the weight turns a smile into a frown"

All you can do is get out and take shots! Try and set yourself a project. and look for shots that fill the requirement.

When I was hospitalised in December I wrote a list of projects for this year...it's March and I haven't done one yet....mainly because I can't find the list
    I will find it and I will do it.
    Whilst in the hospital I also took some photos on my mobile (out of the window I might add) and when I find the memory card (which I had to remove when the phone went for repair) I'll do something about that.
    Lost, who me?
    David
    -----------------------------------------------
    We are here to learn.
    Some things are relevant, some aren't...just rejoice in the fact that at least you seem to have the choice to decide which is which.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spinno1001 http://www.flickr.com/photos/spinno1001

You're not alone. We all have our good days, months etc and the rest does us no harm. I often feel guilty about not taking any pics. Don't know why!

Still, I have here and What Digital Camera site to at least talk about it lol

Glad you had a good day

I've been having a crisis of confidence lately - just not sure I'm good enough. But today I took the camera out with two of my children and their friends and we had a lark about in the park. I don't suppose there'll be anything award winning (although natural light and portraits is a theme for something around here so maybe!) but we all had fun with it and sometimes, when you're busy striving for "perfection" whether it's technical or artistic, you lose that element of fun. Don't get bogged down in it is the advice I should be taking!

By the way LesleyLM - I have a bone to pick with you. For the last few days or more I've been unable to shift a song from my head. "I am the very model of a modern major general..." I couldn't work out where on earth I'd got it from until I noticed your signature. Thanks for that. I only know two lines and they've been on continuous loop!

That's the main thing keep shooting. I reccommend you leave the 35mm on the camera all the time when shooting Dave or the cats in the house. its fast and a a good focal lenght.

Quote Originally Posted by Geren;
    By the way LesleyLM - I have a bone to pick with you. For the last few days or more I've been unable to shift a song from my head. "I am the very model of a modern major general..." I couldn't work out where on earth I'd got it from until I noticed your signature. Thanks for that. I only know two lines and they've been on continuous loop!
    See if this breaks the loop- posted it to the Lounge last year as a bit of fun:

"I am the very model of an amateur photographer
    Confused by ISO, shutter speeds and most of all by aperture
    Donít understand the rule of thirds
    My compositions are absurd
    I am the very model of an amateur photographer

Mystified by colour, cyanotype and totally by sepia
    And when it comes to black and white
    My images are just total shite

My photos are often considered a cause of nausea
    I often leave the lens cap on
    Until that "Golden" moments gone

Focusing is something that is done by my camera
    The one thing I would really like
    Is a word of praise from "Roving Mike"

Call glass lens-Ďcos I canít get the vernacular
    Only one action left of course
    Iíve signed up for a beginners course

My understanding depth of field is really most peculiar
    For next year Iíve a cunning ploy
    Iíll kill you all and win APOY
    I am the very model of an amateur photographer "

Quote Originally Posted by LesleySM View Post
    I've been hibernating photo wise- in the last month I've occasionally fired off a lazy shot from my armchair usually of Dave or the cats nothing worth downloading to the PC even. Just couldn't be asked. Glanced at a few books and come on here.

Today I had to pop to Stratford to pay a bill and intended to have lunch in a decent cafe and a couple in the pub afterwards and decided to just pick up my camera. Dave sent me on my way with his usual gloomy progonsications about the possibility of my having it stolen.

At first I just wondered why I'd bothered, took a couple of shots of the Town Hall but over the nezt few hours I took something like 200 shots....

Of which all but 30 when blown up when straight into the recycle bin and what I have left are some shots I like even if they're not technically excellent/some shots that look fine technically but are of no real interest like shots of the bar/a few shots that might work with some post processing but I'm still counting it a good day because
    1. I got out and tried
    2. I got a practice at ISO/manual/different apertures and shutter speeds at least I am finally starting to get an idea of how these affect images i.e. I did it wrong but at least I am starting to understand why I did it wrong
    3 I got the measure of my 35mm lens- got it for Xmas and just haven't had a lot of use but now I am can where it works and where it doesn't
    4 I did some test shots for a possible entry into the competition this month

And to be honest because I just had fun with my camera. I've been getting frustrated by it.

I came back in and did my first clone (on an unrelated photo) so maybe just slinging my camera bag over my shoulder and going out for a look around has got those creative juices flowing again
    Stratford!.

That location is busting with possible photos.

I hoping to get there myself this Friday. I have done loads there over the years. It is changing so fast it difficult to keep up. Here a shot from 5 years ago (almost exactly) bit noisy because much older camera. But I quite like the the shot. You cannot take this anymore because due to the Olympic they have ruined the station roof.

Looking at this now I probably crop a bit of the sky out at the top.

I want to see what has happened to the bus station because it had a beautiful white roof (again I have a shot of that thank goodness). They were on my last visit ripping it to pieces

Quote Originally Posted by P_Stoddart;
    Stratford!.

I want to see what has happened to the bus station because it had a beautiful white roof (again I have a shot of that thank goodness). They were on my last visit ripping it to pieces
    It's still there although some of it has been removed- the bus station is currently being renovated so there will be a courtyard in front of the station with seats and stalls- "Robert" the engine will take pride of place alas no one has dealt with the Straford Rhubarb yet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55935853@N00/2475865729/
    The Stratford, er, Rhubarb? http://www.flickr.com/photos/55935853@N00/2475865729/ by Ewan-M http://www.flickr.com/people/55935853@N00/, on Flickr

And I won't promise the bus station will still be there next Friday- it was the Saturday before last but the whole area changes every 5 minutes but friendly advice is avoid Westfield

And I won't promise the bus station will still be there next Friday- it was the Saturday before last but the whole area changes every 5 minutes but friendly advice is avoid Westfield
    May I ask why about Westfield?

You not a fan of the rhubarb?

It's been there for quite awhile has it been give a lick of paint? I remember it looking abit tired.

Quote Originally Posted by P_Stoddart;

It's been there for quite awhile has it been give a lick of paint? I remember it looking abit tired.

No reason about Westfield just my personal bias showing- I hate big shopping malls

The rhubarb looks even more tired and in need of a lick of paint than it did a few years ago

so maybe just slinging my camera bag over my shoulder and going out for a look around has got those creative juices flowing again
    Indeed Lesley and take a peek at this quote from "the creativity" thread in this
    forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Yebisu View Post
    Me, too.

I find getting an interesting composition quite difficult whether I use rules or not. So I fire away until at a variety of angles until I've got something I'm happy with. It's the beauty of digital I guess!

And if I feel I've lost the urge to take photos, I travel somewhere new and explore that area for a couple of hours with my camera. It doesn't have to be far, just a train station I've always gone through but never got off at before. Actually one reason why your New York photos might look good is because they were taken in an exciting new environment so you felt inspired to try lots of different approaches.
    Cheers, hang loose and keep shooting

Jack
    Life is a Photo-op

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: Street Photography Documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0

(UPDATED NOV 16th)MY BLOG: www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com http://www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by P_Stoddart View Post

Might be tricky there is a photographic exhibtion in there.

Check out the Stages Of A Photographer Learning Curve on this blog http://www.honghuazheng.com/blog/?p=430 Click the chart to see it bigger, then click it again so you can actually read it. Its tounge in cheek but it sort of reflects reality a tiny bit
    Last edited by Atavar; 12-03-2012 at 08:16.
    LesleySM: "Nah guess we're JNFAPF (just normal for APforums)"

Every thyme won doesn't right something write online, pedants weep another tier. Its knot fare on them, sum wander weather its they're fete too bee affected buy it oar if they'll ever fined piece, but knot to worry pedants, eye no you're pane, and ewe can wrest easy at knight with me: Its plane two sea aye am an exemplary speller.

Ca
    nikonypenlympmix user