Thread: Zuiko OM Glass is good...

Zuiko OM Glass is good...

I've just got an OM Zuiko 65-200 f/4 So by way of trying it out I put it on an E-PL1, set it to f/4 and took two shots, the first at 200mm then another at 65mm. I then put the ED 50-200 SWD on and took two similar shots.

Today was a very "grey day" so with only f/4.0 available and the ISO @ 200 the speeds were quite slow (down to 1/125). All was done hand held, on the quick, just to see if the 65-200 was any good at all...

What a surprise. Sure there is a difference, one was designed 30 years ago for film the other is very new and simply brilliant, but the shots from the 65-200 are considerably better than expected.

What is also remarkable is that I can still hand hold, what is effectivly 400mm at 1/125s and get a usable image.

I shall give this another go on a sunny day and use a tripod, etc., and see just how good this old glass really is.
    Graham

Re: Zuiko OM Glass is good...

the shots from the 65-200 are considerably better than expected.
    Well, I did have a Zuiko 65-200 f/4 zoom which got used with my OM film SLRs ... until I swapped it for a Tamron Adaptall-2 70-210 f/3.8-4 zoom which I found considerably sharper as well as more comfortable to use and lacking that nasty "macro" adjustment.

What is also remarkable is that I can still hand hold, what is effectivly 400mm at 1/125s and get a usable image.
    Consistently? You must have steady hands .... I'd give myself a virtually zero chance of getting a shot with 400mm at 1/125, hand held, that didn't show some evidence of camera shake and probably less than 1 chance in 4 of getting a shot that was usable. If I didn't have a tripod to hand I'd use a fence or wall to help steady the camera - and then I'd be reasonably happy at 1/125.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

IMHO Zuiko glass has been and is underesimated by many....

I have a Vivitar 75-205 F3.8 that produces lovely results on my 510. And my 28mm and 50 f1.8 are pin sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    <snip>my 28mm and 50 f1.8 are pin sharp.
    I have a 24mm f/2.8 that produces superb images and ergonomically works exceptionally well for me on the E-500

Unfortunatly, old age gets to us all and heavy glass, while helping with the shakes, is a pain, literally, to lug about.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_RM13 View Post
    I have a 24mm f/2.8 that produces superb images and ergonomically works exceptionally well for me on the E-500

Unfortunatly, old age gets to us all and heavy glass, while helping with the shakes, is a pain, literally, to lug about.
    Agreed, maybe with the exception of the 50mm.

These days I generally use them for table top stuff where i can use a tripod and take my time

IMHO Zuiko glass has been and is underesimated by many....
    Indeed - but some models are better than others. The ridiculously cheap and very common Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 can still hold its head high in any company and there are several other Zuiko OM lenses that I still have a real fondness for, in particular the 21mm f/3.5 and the 200mm f/4. I never had a 85mm f/2 but I believe that's a cracker, too. But in my experience the OM fitting Zuiko zooms were serviceable rather than great, even when new.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space