Thread: A. Digital camera - Olympus E-P1

A. Digital camera - Olympus E-P1

Although I'm not going to claim credit for the existance of the viewfinderless CSC end of the market, it's certainly something I urged Olympus to do more or less from the start of the (IMHO) ridiculous full-sized 4/3 system. What I wanted was something to replace my Leica CL; a compact system body, with access to small, high quality lenses. But having urged them, I then didn't quite find a model I was totally happy with, so have resisted buying into the idea; instead, I have made do with a high quality compact camera (Canon S90) and a compact APS-C DSLR (Canon EOS 600D), both of which have actually been excellent choices. However, second-hand prices have dropped substantially on first generation CSCs, so appropriately enough, on Shrove Tuesday I received a silver E-P1 with 17mm lens - Pancake Day indeed. I've also got my hands on a Panasonic G-1 with 14-42mm lens as a comparison - review of that to follow before it goes back whence it came.

So, first impressions: it's a lovely looking bit of kit. I generally much prefer all-black cameras - after all, I'm from the generation where black cameras were more expensive than chrome, and were considered to be more professional as they were less showy. That said, the stainless steel finish of this camera is gorgeous, and the lens and optical finder match it very well - it looks decidedly retro, and feels rather good in the hand. I don't particularly like the green glow around the power switch when it's on, but that's about the limit of my complaints about the looks. It fits into a jacket pocket with the pancake, which is crtical for me - if it doesn't fit into a pocket, what real-world advantage is there to me over a small DSLR? In use, there are two control wheels, my favoured method of dealing with controls on electronic cameras. However, they're not well positioned; both are on the back. The upper one, a vertical roller, falls nicely where the thumb goes, but the other one is a real stretch to use with the camera in position - and it's somewhat small for the size of camera, being virtually identical to the rear wheel on my S90. However, they, in conjunction with the buttons, mean that you can control the main functions of the camera without delving into the menus. Which is just as well; the main menu structure is an absolute nightmare. My very first digital camera was an Olympus (Camedia 3000z), and I had hoped that the company had learned from those times. They haven't. Compare and contrast with EOS menus; my original DSLR, an EOS 10D, also had a fairly poor menu structure, but the current EOS menus are a lesson in clarity. Surely it's not too much to ask for Olympus to make their system clear and logical? Rant over! That aside, there's little to criticise in handling; the VF-1 finder works well with the 17mm lens to allow a traditional eye-level grip on the camera. The screen is acceptable for use in most light conditions, but does struggle in bright light; I would give it the benefit of the doubt and say that it's a three year old camera, but then so's my EOS 5D II, and that has a vastly superior LCD, and it doesn't rely on it for everything.
    So - results. Well, the 17mm isn't that great - poor edge perfromance doesn't help. However, fit the Panasonic kit zoom, and results are very much better. However, you start to lose the pocketability that for me is the whole attraction of the system in the first place. So I'm looking at alternatives there... but overall, quality at low ISOs is really quite decent. It does start to tail off a lot more quickly than I'm used to as you get to ISO 400 and beyond, though - closer to my S90 than any of my DSLRs. Not so bad I can't live with it, though, until you get to 3200. Again, I have to remind myself that this camera is not a current generation.

The in-body image stabiliser works, but my rather unscientific tests show that the MEGA OIS in-lens stabiliser on the Panny lens works about a stop better. However, because of the type of grip you need to take on this type of camera, I guess it makes sense to have stabilisation built-in - I would estimate (again unscientifically) that the method of holding introduces about one stop more unsteadyness.

I've also got a third-party OM adaptor, so I've tried it with several OM lenses. The 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.8 work very nicely, are easy enough to focus and balance nicely; my old 70-150 feels dreadful and isn't at all easy to use - never mind the quality. Also, I'm not convinced by the image stabiliser with this lens. I am very interested in obtaining a Leica M adaptor so that I can use my 40mm f2 Summicron-C - a lens which should suit the size of camera beautifully.

Compared to the G1, this is a very different camera; it has looks and character, and controls that are largely aimed at photographers. For wide through to short teles, this is a much nicer camera to use, even if that's only because you don't have an awful EVF to look through; at longer focal lengths, the more traditional grip on the camera with a viewfinder really wins out.

Overall, so far, I do really like this camera. The flaws with the positioning of the control wheels and menu system were issues I was already aware of, and were really the reasons I hadn't bought one of these new at the time. The biggest issue with the camera is that I'm really not entirely clear what purpose it serves for me; it rather falls into the "neither fish nor fowl" category as even with the pancake, it's not small enough to fit into a shirt pocket, nor that much superior in quality to the S90. It does look very nice, takes great pics with the Panny zoom, and as I say, I like it; is that enough to justify it, though? I'm not entirely sure.
    Nick

"Photography is lies" - Bailey
    "Few artists are much more than halfway sane" - Roger Hicks

The Blog is (coming) back http://www.nbrphoto.net/blog/

Re: A. Digital camera - Olympus E-P1

Hi Nick, thanks for pointing me to the thread.

I bought the Ep1 with 17mm and VF1 for 399 about 18 months ago as a kit. What a shame it doesnt have provision for a VF 2 or VF 3. I really like the feel of the camera over the epl1 that I purchased later. In fact I purchased the Epl1 for 249.99 so I could get the kit zoom lens to attach to the ep1 . It was only 20 than buying just the lens, so I got free body and free spare battery !!. Anyway since then I have also vot meself a VF3.

On the subject of the 17mm Pancake lens. I do get on with it well, it is very sharp in the centre at most apertures, but like you said in your review, it is a bit soft around the edges.Quite a few ep1 users have purchased a Lumix 20mm 1.7 lens, and that is said to be a lot sharper, but apperently there isnt any CA correction when using it on a Olympus body as opposed using it on a Lumix body. It is a faster lens so that would help with the low light shooting somewhat. Of course there is also the Leica branded 25mm , 1.4 lens. but it is around 500. I have tried this and it is very clean and sharp. I do prefer the focal lenght of the 17mm pancake , so I might give the 20mm Lumix a go when funds allow.

Regarding the menu, once I got my head around it, I use the super menu. it is very easy and quick to use now ive lost a few hairs over it!.

Cheers
    Ian

On the subject of the 17mm Pancake lens. I do get on with it well, it is very sharp in the centre at most apertures, but like you said in your review, it is a bit soft around the edges.
    This is in the tradition of Olympus pancakes - going back at least to the OM fitting 40mm f/2, which was pretty dire in the corners of the frame until well stopped down. There is a compromise in a design like this; if you need the lens to be practically invisible in terms of extension from the body, the compromise might be worth living with.

Quite a few ep1 users have purchased a Lumix 20mm 1.7 lens, and that is said to be a lot sharper, but apperently there isnt any CA correction when using it on a Olympus body as opposed using it on a Lumix body.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but surely a well corrected lens wouldn't need "CA correction"?
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Pugh View Post

Regarding the menu, once I got my head around it, I use the super menu. it is very easy and quick to use now ive lost a few hairs over it!.

Cheers
    Ian
    Yes, the super menu does seem better, but I'm not completely at home with it yet.

And like you, I much prefer the feel of this body over the E-PL1, but would agree about the viewfinder.
    Nick

I have small hands and find the dial layout absolutely fine. Can't comment on the menus as I haven't had extended use of one, but at current prices as you say it makes for an interesting compact alternative.

Whilst in theory m4/3 lenses work regardless of maker, in reality through my web research I have seen (when mounted on Pen series cameras) significant vignetting from the Lumix 14mm, and some fringing (as mentioned) from the Lumix 20mm. It's a shame that correction cannot/won't be added through a firmware update as it does make the 'standard' rather less than standard.

Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee View Post

Maybe I'm missing something here, but surely a well corrected lens wouldn't need "CA correction"?
    Apparently , the olympus 17mm and 14-42mm kit lens have no CA correction applied in camera, yet the reviewers on certain websites say that according to their tests, this is certainly needed compared to the lumix lenses. Olympus must leave it untouched for a reason I presume. See the post by Zui below.

Cheers Ian

Nick, I liked your review and yes the 17mm does not have the est reputation on the Oly forums personally I find t perfectly OK for most use but sometimes I do put some HG glass on the P1

There was one omission on your review and that was the lack of any samples - so I nipped out to get a grab shot to fill that void

Hope you do not mind (P1 plus 17mm this afternoon)

Roger

Not at all. I'm afraid all my pics so far are terminally dull!
    Nick

A couple of further points

The IS system allows you to dial in focal lengths of legacy lenses but when using a zoom one would need to change it every time one altered the zoom ratio, which probably makes IS unusable on legacy zooms (FT or mFT zooms report the setting so they are OK)

Probably no review of the P1 should omit the fact that it is, unmodified, IR senstive. Exposure times are 0.5 seconds and up so a tripod is necessary but the AF and auto exposure works fine. Afraid I have only one example with me

P1 + 17mm + 17to55 stepup ring + R72 IR filter

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
    Probably no review of the P1 should omit the fact that it is, unmodified, IR senstive. Exposure times are 0.5 seconds and up so a tripod is necessary but the AF and auto exposure works fine.
    Yes, that's one of the aspects that attracted me.
    Nick

Probably no review of the P1 should omit the fact that it is, unmodified, IR senstive.
    Interesting - is there a response curve anywhere?
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space

Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee View Post
    Interesting - is there a response curve anywhere?
    Not as far as I know, but I only stumbled upon it by accident as I was I was experimenting with holding an old filter (the 55mm thread is a clue) in front of the lens. Oly might be prepared to supply one if asked though I doubt it.

Roger

Edit: stupid mistage the step up ring is of course 37 to 55 mm
    Last edited by RogerMac; 01-03-2012 at 11:36.