Thread: Digital Photo Professional questions...

Digital Photo Professional questions...

Hi folks,

I'm trying to get my head round DPP (only had the camera 3 years...), and with the aid of the tutorials in YouBend I think I'm getting somewhere...

Two things I've yet to find, though, and I'm hoping someone can point me the right way.

1. Where can I label the metadata as belonging to me, on the off-chance that someone should be so foolish as to nick one of my efforts?

2. Can I select an area and play with the levels etc within that area, or do I have to go into Photoshop for that?

Thanks,

Adrian
    All part of the fun of extreme vintage photography!

"They're all just cameras, and which one you choose is often a matter of historical accident and how rich you were feeling when you bought them." - Roger Hicks.

You'll be amazed at the carp I've posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/

Re: Digital Photo Professional questions...

Quote Originally Posted by gray1720 View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm trying to get my head round DPP (only had the camera 3 years...), and with the aid of the tutorials in YouBend I think I'm getting somewhere...

Two things I've yet to find, though, and I'm hoping someone can point me the right way.

1. Where can I label the metadata as belonging to me, on the off-chance that someone should be so foolish as to nick one of my efforts?

2. Can I select an area and play with the levels etc within that area, or do I have to go into Photoshop for that?

Thanks,

Adrian
    Hi Adrian

If you want to work in camera RAW, which will do most of what you need, you really need to be in photoshop, whether that be elements or CS

I think you can do in in Gimp, but ISTR you need to find a RAW interface for that

Elements may well be a good starter but it depends on what money you decide you can spend.....

Quote Originally Posted by Old git View Post
    Elements may well be a good starter but it depends on what money you decide you can spend.....
    None, currently!

Someone else told me a while back that DPP was powerful enough to do most of what most people do in Photoshop and, having been on a 4 hour course in that recently, I'm inclined to agree. There are more things I want to do, that I'm better off doing in Elements (especially as the original version has a load of things that got dropped later on, apparently), but if I can avoid spending or learning anything else....

Adrian

"They're all just cameras, and which one you choose is often a matter of historical accident and how rich you were feeling when you bought them." - Roger Hicks.

You'll be amazed at the carp I've posted here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/

None, currently!

Someone else told me a while back that DPP was powerful enough to do most of what most people do in Photoshop and, having been on a 4 hour course in that recently, I'm inclined to agree. There are more things I want to do, that I'm better off doing in Elements (especially as the original version has a load of things that got dropped later on, apparently), but if I can avoid spending or learning anything else....

Adrian
    You can download elements on a free (30 days, i think) trial?

Thinking back to my Canon 20D days... There used to be an option in the PC software that when you had the camera linked to the computer via the USB cable you could set you name in to the cameras software so it wrote the data in to the actual files as they were created.
    - Fenris Oswin - Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
    - My website - http://www.fenrisoswin.com
    - My flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise - Margaret Atwood

Hi folks,

Thanks,

Adrian
    1. with EOS utility you can put your name into the camera and whence into the Exif data.

2. no, not yet. lightroom is next best but I live in hope that Canon add it as I would need A new computer to run lightroom 4.

Hi folks,

Thanks,

Adrian
    Hi Adrian,

Assuming that you've installed the Canon Software in its default mode, you should have DPP, ZoomBrowser, and Eos Utility. (There's also Photostitch.) It's Eos Utility which allows you to enter your name, or whatever, into your camera, and it's then exported in the EXIF of all your images. You have to have your camera connected via the USB cable before starting Eos Utility, and your camera must be "ON". From memory the box where you can enter your name is on the RHS of the screen. Eos Utility can control your camera via the USB cable.

There's more than enough tools in the latest variants of DPP to allow a range of editing both to jpegs and to raw files, but I'm not sure if you can restrict editing to a selection.
    ZoomBrowser is a .. .. a browser/viewer.

I've seen some reports that different variants of the Canon Software are needed for different Eos bodies, so if you have trouble it's worth Googling for more information.

HTH
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Cheers, folks!

Malcolm - you are right regarding the software. Zoombrowser is the one I'm most familiar with. Photostitch is hot stuff on magazine articles larger than my scanner bed, not so good on things without much detail in the middle! EOS utility, it turns out, was just bundled (same CD for everything, I guess) - won't open it with my G10 plugged in, just tells me to use Camera Window instead. Harrumph. Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

OK - sounds as though DPP does most things that Adobe Camera RAW does, with one or two exceptions. As it's what I've got I shall try to work it out, and I guess if I want to select sections I'll have to export as a TIFF and do it in Elephants. Given that I can be relied upon to do things the most awkward way possible, that's not too much hardship.

Thanks everyone!

Adrian

And a final (I hope!) quickie... Is there a free rotate option - I have a terrible list to the right in many pics, and it would be nice to be able to poke it round 1 degree or so, rather than 90.

Much appreciated,

Adrian

And a final (I hope!) quickie... Is there a free rotate option - I have a terrible list to the right in many pics, and it would be nice to be able to poke it round 1 degree or so, rather than 90.

Much appreciated,

Adrian
    I've just tried this web based editor http://pixlr.com/ and there's a "Free transform" mode which rotates your image. which can then be cropped to a rectangular format.

I've not used it seriously, so no idea what the limits are etc.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm_Stewart View Post
    I've just tried this web based editor http://pixlr.com/ and there's a "Free transform" mode which rotates your image. which can then be cropped to a rectangular format.

I've not used it seriously, so no idea what the limits are etc.
    Chris Cool (AKA Siuya)will know! I have Elements, Malcolm, and can do it in that, was simply trying to work out the limits of what can be done in DPP before I have to export elsewhere.

Cheers,

Adrian

Much appreciated,

Adrian
    Tools menu then Start Trimming/Angle Adjustment Tool....just click and hold on the black bit at the side of the image and move the mouse. It should automatically crop the image according to the aspect ratio set on the panel to the right of the image.
    Andrew

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

That's great - with a bit of practice, I should be processing like an expert.

Thanks, everyone!

Adrian

Bother... You seem to have a different version to me, Andrew. I only have the trimming tool, and can only rotate 90 degrees (which isn't so good when I only want to tweak it by a degree or two!)

Adrian

You should be able to download the most up-to0date version from the Canon website.....it should be free..

Graeme
    AGW (BSRIPN)

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where others see nothing. (Camille Pissarro)

Bother... You seem to have a different version to me, Andrew. I only have the trimming tool, and can only rotate 90 degrees (which isn't so good when I only want to tweak it by a degree or two!)

Adrian
    Try this one for windows http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_S_series/PowerShot_S100.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-906325&page=1&type=downloador this one for mac http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_Compact/Powershot_S_series/PowerShot_S100.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-906327&page=1&type=download.

Just updated mine....dunno if the update did anything useful for me but it still seems to work with my cameras
    Andrew

A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Adrian
    I've got DPP 3.9.3.0 dated 2010, and mine has the free angle rotate tool in it. Seems like quite a good implementation. On the same window there's a range of trimming/cropping(?) tools as well.
    Malcolm Stewart

Jaguar Mk VII

Looks like my evening planned, then. Thanks, everyone!

Adrian

Looks like my evening planned, then. Thanks, everyone!

Adrian
    enjoy! I ought to go try it out before posting ( memory not that good) but memory says that you can also copy paste rotations and crops betwen similar pictures*. Same goes for the Stamp tool. Can speed workflow up a lot if you have taken several shots of a scene. You can also cycle through the stamp corrections which I did not realise until recently which is helpful if you corrected quite a few dust spots, copied, than (say) found a tree in the copy source of the target image so you are correcting a dust spot with chunk of tree instead of sky. I also found that if you select copy source and hold the left mouse key down then you can paint. For years I have just been clicking. The copy source moves with the painting action.

*select several images in main window, select edit image window, launch correction tool then cycle through with the next button