Thread: OK, so I am about to start selling mounted prints...

OK, so I am about to start selling mounted prints...

I promise this is the last thread i post about this but would like as much info as poss,

1. Should I make sure photos are 300DPI before printing?
    2. I must calibrate my monitor.
    3. DSCL or photobox for ordering prints
    4. Cotsworld Mounts for mounts etc

Anything else I need to know/do before ordering a load of prints and mounts?

Re: OK, so I am about to start selling mounted prints...

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    What you really need to know, but can't, is how many you are going to sell so I suggest you don't order loads of prints and mounts but just a few so you can see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by LargeFormat View Post
    What you really need to know, but can't, is how many you are going to sell so I suggest you don't order loads of prints and mounts but just a few so you can see how it goes.
    WHS

Plus I know some local photographers arrange a small exhibition of prints in the library to see if they can sell and what people think, comment book etc.

Are you selling mass market or limited edition?

1. Should I make sure photos are 300DPI before printing?
    2. I must calibrate my monitor.
    3. DSCL or photobox for ordering prints
    4. Cotsworld Mounts for mounts etc

If You don't know the answer to any one of the above, you woud be advised to Not go into business, You are not ready yet. Trust me
    Bawbee BSRIPN

Life, is only as complicated, or as serious, as you want it to be - your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawbee View Post
    If You don't know the answer to any one of the above, you woud be advised to Not go into business, You are not ready yet. Trust me
    Hi, if you dont ask you dont find out.. also I dont plan on going into business, I have been complimented on my photos a fair bit in the past and would like to try and sell a few online. But obviously I would like to find out as much as possible before doin so.

To the other two who asked, I only plan on printing maybe 10 or so and seeing how it goes. I already have a few people interested in purchasing a few photos.

Thanks for your replies.

Hi, if you dont ask you dont find out.. also I dont plan on going into business, I have been complimented on my photos a fair bit in the past and would like to try and sell a few online.
    Where will you be selling them through?

As for how many to print, I would wait to get the orders and then print what is required. If you print 10 of each, you might end up having the majority of them sitting about your house/office for quite some time.
    - Fenris Oswin - Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
    - My website - http://www.fenrisoswin.com
    - My flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise - Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    Where will you be selling them through?

As for how many to print, I would wait to get the orders and then print what is required. If you print 10 of each, you might end up having the majority of them sitting about your house/office for quite some time.
    I have a friend that is going to create a website for me in which I can sell prints. Yeah that makes sense to do that, I just want as much info as possible before starting out.
    Thanks.

I have a friend that is going to create a website for me in which I can sell prints. Yeah that makes sense to do that, I just want as much info as possible before starting out.
    Thanks.
    Right. If it's your friend that's making your site...

Marketing? How are people going to know to go to your site?

Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise - Margaret Atwood

I presume you will submit any income to HMCR. Have you posted any of your images in the appraisal gallery. If you ask for so much info it would be good to know that your images have a good chance of selling.

Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    I presume you will submit any income to HMCR. Have you posted any of your images in the appraisal gallery. If you ask for so much info it would be good to know that your images have a good chance of selling.
    Indeed I will, I have posted in other forums before and alot on sites such as Flickr, Tumblr etc. I can also get buisness cards cheap and make use of social networks. Again its not a buisness I plan on living off. I would just like the satisfaction of people hanging my prints! and obviously want to gather as much info as poss instead of just doing it with no knowledge.

Indeed I will, I have posted in other forums before and alot on sites such as Flickr, Tumblr etc. I can also get buisness cards cheap and make use of social networks. Again its not a buisness I plan on living off. I would just like the satisfaction of people hanging my prints! and obviously want to gather as much info as poss instead of just doing it with no knowledge.
    Might not be you are attempting to live off the income.

But it still reads like a business.

I don't think there are rules about running a business but being a employee of someone else.

Except of cause the tax issues. If you start up your 'business' after say 05/04/2012 then it a new tax year so you probably need to file a tax return for the income in 05/04/2013.

I would get some advice to make sure you are getting the true benefit of trying to make money out of the photography.

I don't think his tax affairs are anything to do with the rest of us.

Get your monitor calibrator and at least you will know that images you send away for printing will be correctly colour and exposure corrected.

Most people have their monitors set too bright. When you finish the calibration and profiling DO NOT TOUCH THE BRIGHTNESS AND CONTRAST CONTROLS AFTERWARDS.

Check the calibration at least monthly (most software has a reminder built in).

Only calibrate after the monitor has been switched on for 30 minutes or so.

Indeed I will, I have posted in other forums before and alot on sites such as Flickr, Tumblr etc.
    You going to put any of your images in the appraisal section?

Quote Originally Posted by Fen View Post
    You going to put any of your images in the appraisal section?
    Yep will do ASAP