Thread: Shooting Question

Shooting Question

Hi,

I am looking to do photography as a hobby and I have a question about my camera. I bought the Canon XS(1000D) because I was told this was a decent entry level camera. I got the camera second hand from a camera shop. Shooting in full auto mode works just the way I expect with a half hold (sorry if the terminology is incorrect) to focus and the pushing the button all the way to take the shot. I am now experimenting with the P (program mode I believe) and Manual modes, but the shutter button doesn't work the same. In those modes I have to push the shutter button two or three times. In manual mode I need to push once and it seems like the shutter closes (I can no longer see anything through the viewfinder) then again and it'll take the picture. Sometimes I'll need to push it a third time before the picture will take. Is there a way to have the shutter in M and P mode work the same way it does in full auto mode?

Re: Shooting Question

Someone might be familiar with your camera and problem and able to provide a definative answer. However,I wonder if the problem is that the settings you are using with P and M just don't provide enough light for the camera to take a proper shot so it tries to stop you. Does the same problem occur if you increase (smaller number) the aperture and decrease the shutter speed?

I tried different aperture and ISO settings. Right now I have it set on M and 1.5" shutter speed F5.6 and ISO 400. The picture it takes is awesome (although bright but I understand why). I just tried it so I know exactly what happens, its only two clicks to get the camera to fire. The first click shuts the shutter so I cannot see anything in the viewfinder and the second time I click, the camera actually takes the picture. I also tried both auto and manual focus, they both work the same. The pictures are coming out perfect just the two push thing is killing me especially since the first click actually closes the viewfinder.

If your in manual mode but still have your lens on AF (auto focus) it could be that its not focused and therefore half hold will not beep or work because its not actually focused. Try standing a little further away from the object and see how that works! Also i've found if your just learning/experimenting with your camera try and shoot in the "TV" or Time Value mode, you can set ISO and F stop to auto and adjust your shutter speed. Its a real easy feature to get to grips with and its helped me learn so much!!

Nick

*EDIT, Started to type this post before your last reply and made tea in between so forget the focus issue, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by kirkofthefleet View Post
    I tried different aperture and ISO settings. Right now I have it set on M and 1.5" shutter speed F5.6 and ISO 400. The picture it takes is awesome (although bright but I understand why). I just tried it so I know exactly what happens, its only two clicks to get the camera to fire. The first click shuts the shutter so I cannot see anything in the viewfinder and the second time I click, the camera actually takes the picture. I also tried both auto and manual focus, they both work the same. The pictures are coming out perfect just the two push thing is killing me especially since the first click actually closes the viewfinder.
    At 1.5 seconds the viewfinder will go dark for 1.5 seconds whilst the photograph is taken - what happens if you don't press the shutter the second time, does the viewfinder stay dark or does it revert to normal after 1.5 seconds? Why are you trying to take pictures at 1.5 seconds shutter speed? When using manual exposure (M) are you balancing the exposure using the graph in the viewfinder? It looks a bit like ''''''|'''''' to get the right exposure? There are so many questions that cannot really be answered unless we know what you are doing and what your settings are.

Incidentally, the shutter button should act in the same way in every exposure mode, half press to focus and set exposure, full press to take picture.
    Roy

You can't please everybody, so you have to please yourself

http://royscollages.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kirkofthefleet View Post
    Hi,
    ..... but the shutter button doesn't work the same. In those modes I have to push the shutter button two or three times. In manual mode I need to push once and it seems like the shutter closes (I can no longer see anything through the viewfinder) then again and it'll take the picture. Sometimes I'll need to push it a third time before the picture will take.
    Not sure of the vagarities of Canon DSLRs as I have a selection of Nikons, but I wonder if the "mirror up" mode is engaged so that first press just lifts the mirror, second press fires the shutter. This mode may be disabled in full auto, hence you don't get the problem then.
    You now understand why the viewfinder blacks out when a photo is being taken, I hope?
    A DSLR with kit lens will not focus on subjects as close to it as a "point & shoot" compact camera, so possibly you cannot get focus on some shots because the subject is too close
    Chris M (NRIPN) says: "Too many cameras, too many lenses......."

Not sure of the vagarities of Canon DSLRs as I have a selection of Nikons, but I wonder if the "mirror up" mode is engaged so that first press just lifts the mirror, second press fires the shutter. This mode may be disabled in full auto, hence you don't get the problem then.
    Correct diagnosis ... go through the menus and disable mirror lock.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're wasting space