Thread: bridge to DSLR

bridge to DSLR

right now i have a canon powershot SX30 IS and want to move up to a DSLR which would you suggest for a first time DSLR.

Re: bridge to DSLR

How deep is your pocket? What will the camera be used for? Are you adverse to second hand? etc Need more info in order to provide sensible advice.

The entry level dslrs, which is I presume what you are considering are generally much of a muchness in terms of performance. If you are buying new you really need to look at and handle those in your price range, you may well find something that is a clear winner, the camera I like you could detest for some reason, I find the handgrips on some current models are too big, for example. The widest systems are Canon and Nikon in terms of lens and accessory stocking and availability.

Quote Originally Posted by nimbus View Post
    The entry level dslrs, which is I presume what you are considering are generally much of a muchness in terms of performance. If you are buying new you really need to look at and handle those in your price range, you may well find something that is a clear winner, the camera I like you could detest for some reason, I find the handgrips on some current models are too big, for example. The widest systems are Canon and Nikon in terms of lens and accessory stocking and availability.

Yes, but not compared to the SX30. Even the most basic dSLR say a Canon 1000D will produce better results especially in low light.

So as pointed what was you shooting on your SX30. Any long shots ie using the telephoto zoom mode.

To match that same functionality you will need a twin lens offering. But the SX30 has 840mm shooting. To match that on a APS dSLR you need a 560mm lens. Most twin kits give you only 300mm which is 450mm.

I don't think the kit lens of the dSLR being only 28mm instead of the 24mm SX30 will hurt to much.

I think you are looking at around 500 for twin kit new. You might get lower with secondhand.
    Last edited by P_Stoddart; 10-02-2012 at 17:20.

hi so you want more information, i am willing to spend 400. mainly used for sport/wildlife and landscape and i am much for second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by william1998 View Post
    hi so you want more information, i am willing to spend 400. mainly used for sport/wildlife and landscape and i am much for second hand.
    More information was needed, in order to help you.

At 400 for the things you are wanting to shoot, used is really the only option. You will at this stage need a camera body, probably with kit lens and most likely a 70-300 zoom, either from the camera manufacturers range, Tamron or Sigma. Body wise this will mean something like a Canon EOS350d or Nikon D50, D70 or D100. However the older canon 18-55 kit lens is pants. My own choice would be the 350d, but you may prefer the slightly larger bodied but lower pixel count Nikons. There are plenty of older lenses that will work with these cameras, some optically better than others, but in the case of Nikon, if you buy the later D40 or D60 these will only autofocus with later lenses with onboard focus motors, if in any doubt on anything ask here, you will normally get a quick response. Some of the earlier Sony cameras are within your price range in the secondhand market, allowing 250 for camera body with kit lens and 150 for a telezoom. The best camera bargain I have seen recently is a new Sony A380 with kit lens at 299 in Costco.

If buying used Sigma lenses to use on Canon EOS cameras beware that older lenses from this maker will not work on Canon digital bodies, due to issues with the chips. Newer production is fine, just be certain before parting with your money.
    Last edited by nimbus; 11-02-2012 at 14:13.